The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LAM's Quest

LAM's Quest

Well here I go with another journal on another BB board. This is basically my 21st year involved in the sport although I have taken many breaks due to the military, grad-school and some auto-accidents (the longest break was from Sept 97- Nov 2000).

I will start out with some pictures. The first one I'll post is me in 1984 at 15 and a whoping 5'9 145 lbs. I don't know how I made it through my freshman year playing football with that body.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

These next 2 pics are from last year I think the one on the right is from July 2000 and the other one is from December 2000. Basically about 8 months into my training from the 3 year layoff. Muscle memory kicks ass ! I was about 225 at about 15% in December and not sure about the July picture...

This is the latest pic that I have. It's right before I started my very slow cutting cycle. This is from April 2002. I was around 250 here at about 15-16%. This is the fatest I've ever been in my life. I tend to carry the majority of my bodyfat around the waist and back.

Training strictly for hypertrophy is pretty new for me. I always trained for strength in the past. It's taken me a while to get used to counting cals etc. but now it's very easy.

I'm currently using HST, but have made some modifications. Since I'm on a cut and cycling carbs hypertrophy isn't going to happen. I'm more concerned with my diet and not losing any strength and dropping bf so I can start a good clean bulk.

This is my current routine. I tend to train instinctively. Some days I might to 15 reps, another I may do 8 etc. I pretty much stick to the exercises but often make a subsitiution vs. waiting for a machine. Since I train at around 1-2 pm the gym is usually pretty dead...

Legs - I'm using all bb from now on and only hack to warm-up

Hack Squat - 2x20 @ 135 lb
    Front Squat (ATF) - 1x20 @ 185 lb and 1x15 @ 225 lbs, tempo 2-3-1-1
    SLDL - 1 x 10 @ 275 lb

Chest
    Incline - 2x20 @ 135 lb and 1x15 @ 255, tempo 4-2-1-1

Back
    Chins - 4x6 @ bw
    BB Rows - 2x10 @ 185 lb

Shoulders
    Lateral Raise - 1x6 @ 30 tempo 3-4-5-1

Bi's
    DB Preacher - 2x6 @ 40 lb
    DB Hammer - 1x8 @ 40 lb

Tri's
    Rope Tricep ext - 2x15@ 120lb
    Dips - 2x20 @ 60 lbs

Food basically does nothing for me, I would rather not eat. Obviously I have to eat in order to make the gains I desire in this sport. It's very easy for me to eat for function vs. flavor.

My Fitday Journal

Right now my diet is kind of jacked up. The stores here in Vegs are wacked ! One day chicken is .79 cents a pound the next it's $4.99. I refuse to pay $20 for a pack of chicken that I will eat in 3 days so until another sale hits again (hopefully soon) I will consume more whey to bring up the protein content of my meals.

Excellent. This is one journal I will LOVE to read.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Originally posted by LAM

I'm currently using HST, but have made some modifications.
    What portions of HST are you using? Obviously not the normal rep ranges, which to me are somewhat integral part of the whole thing. Are you just doing full body workouts and making sure you increment the weight each session, but doing a variable number of reps? Did you do SD? Could you outline your modifications and your reasoning behind them?

Thanks.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Blood&Iron...Well like I stated I'm on a cut and carb cycling so my body definetly isn't in an anabolic state so hypertrophy isn't going to happen.

I'm still doing the routine that I posted above on Mon-Wed-Fri and doing 60 min. of moderate-intensity cardio on Tues-Thur-
    Sat.

I try to raise my weights on Mon and Fri and use Wed as an active recovery session where I'll use either the same poundages as Mon or drop the weight slightly and do more reps.

Supplementation

I'm not taking much at the moment.

Pre-workout

20 grams whey isolates
    2 tablespoons honey

Post-workout

1 serving Swole (in locker room)

5 minute drive home then consume the pre-made protein/carb drink

40 grams whey isolates,
    2 scoops of powdered Gatarade which is roughly 40 grams of simple sugars
    6 grams BCAA's
    10 grams Glutamine
    1 gram ALA
    30 mg Vandayl
    1 multivitamin w/ antioxidants

* I was using dextrose/maltodextrin up until the 1st of August to spike insulin. I then switched to the Gatorade which provides some glucose based sugars to help replenish glycogen but not enough to spike insulin and halt lipolysis.

1 hour after post-workout shake

60 grams whey (combination of WPC and WPI)
    16 grams of MCT's

Cardio Days

30 minutes prior

2 capsules of Ripped Fuel
    2 grams of Acetyl-L-Carnitine

1 hour after cardio has been completed

60 grams whey (combination of WPC and WPI)
    16 grams of MCT's
    Last edited by LAM; 08-26-2002 at 07:07 PM.

Good luck LAM, good to see a big guy like you keeping an online journal. The more big guys here at WBB the better!

thanks MonStar ! keeping a journal is the ticket and one of the keys to successfull training...

I think for now my short term goal is to get my bf down to finally see my lower abs. I've been cutting for a while now since April. I almost hate to use that term as I pretty much eat the same things I've always eaten with the exception of some supplements and some EFA's.

I've never really been in a rush to gain/lose weight etc. as I don't compete so it's not like I have to get ready by a certain date. My short term goal is to be down to around 7% bf by my 34th birthday which is Oct 6. Ultimately I think I'll be happy at around 240 at a decent bf level like 8%. which I hope to be at by spring of 2003.

Can I say something?

YOU ARE BIG!

:withstupi

Hope to be there one day

Cardio (08-27-02)

I did my normal 60 minutes of treadmill at a moderate-intensity in the am. No abs or calves today, maybe I'll do them on thursday.

Carb Cycling

I started a carb cycling routine (August 1 ) that I got from Flex as it seemed the easiet to do. It seems to be working well I need to get my bf checked next week. I hit a fat loss plateau for several weeks but my diet was jacked up and I wasn't getting enough calories in. I was down several pounds today before I did cardio I started eating more last week so I think that diet was definetly the problem and not the cardio.

The only thing that sucks is when a low carb day lands on a training day. Trying to squat when you've eaten 60 grams of carbs in the last 24 hours is brutal ! But I haven't puked yet and realized that I can't worry about increasing strength on this kind of diet. I'm not losing anything so that's just as good.

For some reason you can't post a link to the article but it's from May, 2001 it's in the Nutrtion section titled "The Magnificent Seven"...

For some reason you can't post a link to the article but it's from May, 2001 it's in the Nutrtion section titled "The Magnificent Seven"...
    I think I have seen this article before in Flex. I am thinking that I either gave it a shot or wanted to give it a shot or something like that. I dont remember. Good luck with it man, and yeah training on low carbs f*cking blows. I hate it.

I track my diet on fitday since it's easier that way...

LAM's Diet

Wow that fitday thing is pretty crazy LAM! Haha you calculate exactly how many calories you took in and how many you burned etc. Does it have a list of a ton of foods with the calories and all that in it? Haha I should do something like that just to get a rough estimate.

MonStar - it has a huge list of foods. To get more you can go to the sites of all of the fatty fatty crap fast food places you eat and get the info from their site, then put it into fit day.

You can do it as a daily ritual right after you eat crappy food, stare in the mirror and think about how fat you are, and change your workout routine.

I just made up a few entries. I like it but I dont think that I have the patience to do that for all my meals. Well I dont know, maybe if I really wanted to. My diet pretty much has sucked lately so I dont think that there would be any real reason to do that.

Weight Training (08-28-02)

Legs - I'm using all bb from now on and only hack to warm-up

Hack Squat - 2x20 @ 155 lb
    Front Squat (ATF) - 1x20 @ 185 lb and 1x20 @ 215 lbs, tempo 2-3-1-1
    Back Squat (ATF) - 2x15 @ 215 lbs, tempo 2-3-1-1
    SLDL - 1 x 10 @ 275 lb

Chest
    Incline - 2x20 @ 135 lb and 1x15 @ 255, tempo 4-2-1-1

Back
    Chins - 4x6 @ bw
    BB Rows - 1x15 @ 135 lb and 1x15 @ 175 lb

Shoulders
    Lateral Raise - 1x6 @ 40 tempo 3-4-5-1

Bi's
    DB Preacher - 1x8 @ 40 lb
    DB Incline - 1x8 @ 40 lb

Tri's
    V-bar Tricep ext - 2x10@ 140lb
    Push downs - 2x10 @ 110 lbs

LAM's Diet
    Last edited by LAM; 08-28-2002 at 08:41 PM.

Cardio & Calves (08-28-02)

Calves (no abs today)

Seated - 4 x 8 @ 180 lbs, tempo 6-2-6-1
    Standing - 4 x 15 @ 220 lbs, tempo 2-2-2-1

Then I did 60 minutes of the treadmill in the am at a low-intensity...

I cut my cals a little due to the binge on Crunch and Munch that I had in the afternoon...

LAM's Diet

Weight Training (08-29-02)

Legs

Hack Squat - 2x20 @ 165 lb
    Front Squat (ATF) - 1x20 @ 195 lb and 1x20 @ 235 lbs, tempo 2-3-1-1
    Back Squat (ATF) - 1x2 @ 230 lbs, tempo 2-3-1-1

Chest
    Incline - 2x20 @ 135 lb and 1x10 @ 275, tempo 4-2-1-1

Back
    Chins - 4x7 @ bw
    BB Rows - 1x15 @ 135 lb and 1x15 @ 185 lb

Traps
    DB Shrugs - 2 x 8 @ 80 lbs

Bi's
    DB Preacher - 1x8 @ 40 lb
    DB Incline - 1x8 @ 40 lb

Tri's
    V-bar Tricep ext - 2x10@ 140lb
    Dips - 2x25 @ 40 lbs

LAM's Diet

Cardio (08-31-02)

Calves (no abs today)

Seated - 3 x 8 @ 200 lbs, tempo 6-2-6-1
    Standing - 4 x 15 @ 230 lbs, tempo 2-2-2-1

Then I did 60 minutes of the treadmill in the am at a low-intensity...

LAM's Diet

Cardio (09-01-02)

60 minutes of low intensity on the treadmill...

I'm making a complete change in plans. After trying on some of my XXL shirts last night I feel like a crackhead as some of them are starting to hang off me. Time to gain back some weight. I'm going to do a clean bulk until Xmas. I should be able to get to 250 no problem. I'm also switching to an isocaloric diet and give it a shot, eating high protein meals all the time is getting old...

New goals by Xmas:

body weight - 250 lbs
    body fat - no more than 12%

What's going on? You've only been cutting for 5 days, how much weight did you lose?

I'm also curious as to why you decided to go with a pseudo-HST routine while cutting rather than a normal 3-day push/pull split.
    My Fitday Journal
    My WBB Journal

"If they didn't overcomplicate things there wouldn't be much to say about lifting anymore though. ..... We do it all the time here, pretty much for the same reasons...we'd have nothing left to talk about." --ElPietro