The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Calories per "changing" body weight

i've been on a cut for about the past 14 weeks and have lost about 17 lbs. as of last week i'm @ 14% BF and would like to get to 10-12% this feb. question: as my weight decreases do i need to adjust my daily caloric intake each time as well??

also, it seems that 50% of the weight i lost was muscle(according to my pre diet BF%). is that on average of muscle loss(50%) during a cut?? strangely though, my strength feels good and i'm still progressing on certain lifts. thanks!
    STATS:
    • 5'9"
    • ~185

The Big 3 (2 sets):
    Flat BB Bench 270
    Deadlift 355 (no belt/straps)
    Squat

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Re: Calories per "changing" body weight

Originally posted by entrrt
    i've been on a cut for about the past 14 weeks and have lost about 17 lbs. as of last week i'm @ 14% BF and would like to get to 10-12% this feb. question: as my weight decreases do i need to adjust my daily caloric intake each time as well??

Of course you eejit! Your BMR changes as your bw changes. Consistently reducing calories gradually is how you go about further fat loss.

For instance, say you started at 200lbs.

200lbs * 12 (12 being the theoretical calorie level for cutting) = 2400kcals a day.

Let's pretend the theoretical concept works flawlessly, and you lose, say, 1lb over a week (void of any water/glycogen loss).

So you're now 199lbs. Your calorie level would now (theoretically) be 2388. Now this is a difference of 12kcals, which is rather insignificant. You could still lose weight continuing with the same calorie level. But you'd still manipulate calories week by week if necessary.

<0 = decrease calories.
    0.5-1.5lbs lost = perfect, keep calories the same.
    >2lbs = increase calories a bit.

For a more pronounced example, say you started at 200lbs (2400) and over several weeks you dropped down to 180lbs. Your (theoretical) calorie level would now be 2160kcals per day. This is a more significant change, because (providing the theory is flawless) consuming 2400kcals a day at this level of maintenance may hinder further losses.

So, assess your weight change each week (keeping in mind water/glycogen/food losses) and amend calories where necessary according to the simple chart above.

also, it seems that 50% of the weight i lost was muscle(according to my pre diet BF%). is that on average of muscle loss(50%) during a cut?? strangely though, my strength feels good and i'm still progressing on certain lifts. thanks!
    Are you on a low carb diet?

LBM accounts for everything that is not fat. So, dropping a load of glycogen and water when shifting onto a low carb diet (as well making you look like you've lost muscle) can give readings that you've dropped muscle. Once you go back onto carbs you'll 're-inflate' the muscles and the reading will again change.

If you're quite young you may stand to put some muscle on despite the cut, so you may notice your muscle size increase to larger than they were when you re-carb.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

A follow up question for this. Fat burns less calories than muscle, correct? So if you lose a pound fat, do you need to reduce calories as much?
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

Originally posted by Y2A
    A follow up question for this. Fat burns less calories than muscle, correct? So if you lose a pound fat, do you need to reduce calories as much?
    It's a valid question.

Basically, you start out theoretically, and progress judging on real-world results.

If you start making complex equations to work out EXACTLY how much difference you need, then i imagine the cortisol release from worrying about such things would no doubt negate any benfits you're trying to workout.

Basically, if your weight changes means that you need to decrease calories, an example of motive to follow would be take off from your daily macros. So, for examples sake, let's say this last week you dropped 0.5lbs. That is in the ideal bracket for loss, but you want to ensure a further 0.5lb loss for the following week. Therefore, you take off 10g carbs from your daily macros. It sounds like very little, but 10g carbs is 40kcals and over a week that's 280kcals. Albeit, there's 3500kcals in 1lb of fat, but the folks who reduce calories too far too fast are the ones who never quite get where they want to, or who lose a lot of muscle in the process.

Again, 280kcals difference doesn't sound like much, but rememeber the calories you're already burning at rest and through exercise and lifting.

So, let's say this aided you in dropping a further 0.5lb of fat. The following week you want to ensure further fat loss (as expected), so you decide, this time, since you don't want to drop carbs any further right now, to take off 5g of fat from your daily totals. That's 45kcals lower per day, which equates to 315kcals lower at the end of the week.

And so the cyle repeats. And don't be afraid to drop protein down a little either if you feel that your fat and carbs are as low as you want them at that time. Just don't cut it drastically.

So the person who does it this way can steadily drop fat without muscle loss issues. (or not much muscle loss anyway).

The person who starts out at 2400kcals, after one week reduces to 2000kcals, and then the following week to 1800kcals and then possibly even lower after that, won't get very far, very fast. They'll most like get hungry rather quickly more frequenctly and possibly break diet, they'll most likely lose an ass-load of muscle and their system will fvck up quite quickly and try and prevent any further fat loss. ever tried running on the spot? How far does that get you? Same applies here.

Smaller steps may take you longer, but they'll still take you there.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

thanks TCD to answer your question, no i am not on a low carb diet...unless you think my P/C/F%'s (45-40-15) is considered low.

most of the time i lose around 1 lb.a week, though there have been a few times where i lost 2-3 lbs. in a week! i'm always thinking if i didn't lose any body weight than i didn't lose any bodayfat as well. would you recomend getting monthly BF% every month to asses the LBM vs. BF to tell if you're losing too much muscle during a cut?? i think i'm gonna check it every 30 days till i reach my goal.
    STATS:
    • 5'9"
    • ~185

The Big 3 (2 sets):
    Flat BB Bench 270
    Squat

Originally posted by entrrt
    thanks TCD to answer your question, no i am not on a low carb diet...unless you think my P/C/F%'s (45-40-15) is considered low.

Nope, that's not really 'low carb'.

most of the time i lose around 1 lb.a week, though there have been a few times where i lost 2-3 lbs. in a week! i'm always thinking if i didn't lose any body weight than i didn't lose any bodayfat as well. would you recomend getting monthly BF% every month to asses the LBM vs. BF to tell if you're losing too much muscle during a cut?? i think i'm gonna check it every 30 days till i reach my goal.
    Well that can get pricey so why not do it every 8 or 12 weeks instead?

Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy

Well that can get pricey so why not do it every 8 or 12 weeks instead?
    it doesn't cost me a thing since i work out @ the Y. i can get it checked everyday if i wanted. besides i want to keep better track of any LBM loss so i think once every 4 weeks is a good start.
    STATS:
    • 5'9"
    • ~185

The Big 3 (2 sets):
    Flat BB Bench 270
    Squat