The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Trying to figure this out JohnCollins's Avatar

Question about bent curl bar geometry

I have a Cap Barbell threaded EZ-Curl bar, but the threaded thing makes me crazy, so I bought another curl bar in a sports store the other day with smooth ends on it (I use standard plates).

When I got it home I noticed that the Cap EZ-Curl bar was much straighter. The new one has about a six-inch flat in the center and the spots where you grip it are much more angled--your hands are almost neutral grip on this one, whereas on the EZ-Curl bar, they are closer to where they'd be with a straight bar, only slightly turned in, if that makes sense.

I was going to give the threaded bar away, but I'm wondering, there is such a difference in the grip angle on these two, should I keep both for a different feel. Do they work the muscles significantly differently? I know the newer bar is more comfortable for me for french presses.

I prefer the new one both for the smooth ends and the feel. It feels better.

JPC
    "Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe." --Albert Einstein

Had a good workout on my liver yesterday. Did a pretty high number of reps, but not to complete failure. Liver DOMS today is kinda bad...it has even reached my head! -- ElPietro

"If I ever found a chick who smelled like gun powder and spent cartridges, I'd run to a jewelry store, rob it, and propose to her with a sack of diamonds. " --Budiak

"I dance like a drunken white boy. I'm really screwed since I quit drinking." -- PowerManDL

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I dont know if this is similar to what u have experienced with the straight bar, But.. When I use it, I actually feel a PAIN in my forearms. I have since moved to the bar that has grips perpendicular to the rest of the bar... is this a good choice?

Trying to figure this out JohnCollins's Avatar
    I know what you mean. I don't like curling with straight bars, either, and I simply cannot do skulls with one. I've seen the bar you mean (I think). It's a closed loop with the two grips perfectly perpendicular to the part the plates go on, right?

My two are between these extremes. Straight, my EZ-Curl, then the new one I bought, then the one you describe would be the continuum.
    "Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe." --Albert Einstein

Had a good workout on my liver yesterday. Did a pretty high number of reps, but not to complete failure. Liver DOMS today is kinda bad...it has even reached my head! -- ElPietro

"If I ever found a chick who smelled like gun powder and spent cartridges, I'd run to a jewelry store, rob it, and propose to her with a sack of diamonds. " --Budiak

"I dance like a drunken white boy. I'm really screwed since I quit drinking." -- PowerManDL

Yes it has closed loops...
    Does it really matter what type of bare you use to curl?
    You are still working the same muscles right?
    (just realized thats what you're asking :P)

there is a similar bar to what you described in my weight room @ school... but when I tried using that, I just couldnt seem to get my grip to where I felt comfortable! And When I curled, the bar would rotate in my hands.. kinda weird.

Just found this video of some dude doing skull crushers (I didnt know what they were) .. is the bar hes using what u are talking about? http://www.2-fit.com/video/sklcrshr.htm

I would keep the smaller angled curl bar too. I like to do curls sometimes on a bar with a smaller angle so I can do it with pinky higher than thumbs. It sounds weird and can put some pressure on your forearms but because of the angle it can really isolate the bi's with a curl bar when held with your wrists in this funky manner. Of course I use lighter weight than normal curls because of the increased strain but I like the angle of it.

__/----\__

You would grip it like above. Underhanded, with index fingers at the bottom of the angle and your pinky at the top.

Not like this: -----\___/----- : where your index fingers are above you pinkies.

It all sounds weird but its something to try with a bar that has less of an angle.

About doing skulls, I really like to have a bar with neutral grips to do them. It doesn't put nearly as much strain on my elbows for some reason to have that kind of grip instead of an overhand grip(or palms away). Dumbbells work well for this. Its little less stable but DB's can really help with the grip for skulls.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.