The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    How do you bulk then? I get 4500 kcals from real food a day and I'm not complaining. 1000 kcals a day? Are you sure? How much do you weight? That sounds like starvation mode to me.
    Some of us just don't need to eat that much. It's why some people are skinny as hell and some are fat as hell. We feel satiated most of the time and just don't feel the need to eat.
    I'm guilty of days below 1k cals. When you are busy it just happens.
    I did weight gainer for a while and I should have been at 3k cals a day, didn't do me much but give me a gut.
    Now I'm off that stuff and usig regular food.
    Much less sugar.
    Peanut butter and tuna are great for cutting and bulking, if your in college dont they have a cafeteria? i mean they usually sell food that is low on the health scale but 1000cals a day is not healthy.
    I saw the most gains while I was eating at the school cafteria and it wasn't fat either. Having every meal be a buffet was a big help.
    Train.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Originally posted by Ti1301

Some of us just don't need to eat that much. It's why some people are skinny as hell and some are fat as hell. We feel satiated most of the time and just don't feel the need to eat.

What can I say? Satiated you say? I can't even remember the last time I felt anything resembling hunger in this past 6 months and guess what, I gained around 9 kilos (~20 pounds) since April, around 6-7 (~13-15 pounds) of these being muscle. Overeating is very anabolic, you'll gain fat too but that you can lose latter.

how big are you restless and are you "natural" ?
    Gain Muscles ? Overload !
    Lose Fat ? Input < Output
    Genetic determines your potential
    Chins : 10x106kg Dips 10x109kg

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    198 pounds 5'11 around 15-16% BF (Bio Impedance numbers so not really reliable). Natural.

Originally posted by Lucian
    I eat a toasters scambler thing, it has about 300(if i eat 2) or so calories and a glass of juice which is about 150 or so more.

This is if have time for breakfast, usually i skip breakfast due ot lack of time.
    tuttut tuttut

(takes deep breath)

If it's important enough for you to come to this message board and ask people across the country what they think, then I'm assuming it isn't too much to ask of you to wake up 4.5 minutes earlier than usual, microwave your toaster strudel, and eat it on the way to work/class.

Better yet, the next time you're on a bulk, buy a huge bag of real bagels, and take two (total of 700 calories) on the road with you to class/work.

Lack of time?!?

.....uh.....right. You need to MAKE TIME, hombre. Sounds to me like it's a lack of PRIORITY. tuttut

Originally posted by Ti1301

Incorrect. It only happens when you don't MAKE eating regularly a PRIORITY.

Agreed, the reason you may not feel the negative sensation of hunger is because you've been conditioned to survive on miniscule amounts of calories, but you can just as easily knock your metabolism OUT of that balance.

It's a choice of behaviors, not something that is "randomly, mystically" happening to you.

1000 calories a day is NOT healthy for someone who is training with weights, I don't care how "efficient" your metabolism is.

Ethiopians and Zulu Warriors survive on that type of diet too, but I don't want to look like one. That's the very reason I'm AT this site......

You know what, my body doesn't want to be big either. And it's considerably easier for me to skip workouts, especially when I'm "busy".

That doesn't stop me from making it a priority.

The funny thing is, I'm pretty big, so I dont have alot of problems bulking on 1000 or so calories.

My training? Currently I train once a week, I'm bulking slowly over the winter.

Its easy to tell someone to make eating a priority, but you have so many other priotires, homework, classwork, social priorities, its very difficult to have time to eat when you oversleep and you are late for class, and its very difficult not to over sleep when you were out with your friends the night before.

Gen_chat worst nightmare

Its easy to tell someone to make eating a priority, but you have so many other priotires, homework, classwork, social priorities, its very difficult to have time to eat when you oversleep and you are late for class, and its very difficult not to over sleep when you were out with your friends the night before.
    Do I need to tell you what's wrong in here? It's mixed priorities. I have little to add to what Majestic said.

The funny thing is, I'm pretty big, so I dont have alot of problems bulking on 1000 or so calories.

My training? Currently I train once a week, I'm bulking slowly over the winter.

This is a wind up right?

not even a mouse could bulk on that amount of food! Your brain, heart and lungs probably use that much cals alone.
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

Wannabebig Member
    You need to really be careful when cutting. If you are eating low calories and doing a ton of cardio then you will just burn up your muscle mass. Just eat enough calories and protein to prevent muscle loss and dont over do it on the cardio. 2-3 sessions per week should be fine. But you should definately be eating a lot more than 1,000 cals/day. I could cut my body fat on 3000 cals/day so you can definately eat a lot more than you are. And follow every one else's advice about doing it slowly. No more than a pound per week. And even at that rate your cutting cycle should be short.

I never do cardio when cutting, I never seem to really need cardio unless i really want to speed up the process(but my problem is i cut too fast)

also how do you cut on 3000 calories a day????? either you have alot of muscle mass or you have a much faster metabolism?

And 1000 calories is sometimes all i manage to get in on some days, this isnt something i try to do it just happens, it doesnt happen every single day, just on days where i cant get in breakfast , some days i dont get any breakfast or lunch.

Grasshoppa
    Trust me, you eat this way consistently, you'll have problems bulking. Either that or you aren't counting the cals correctly.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

So...you don't have a problem bulking on 1000 calories a day...although you don't have a problem cutting on 1000 calories a day? Things just aren't adding up correctly here. I'm totally lost.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Do you think that noone else here has homework, school, work, friends, and fixing their damn car to do. What people are saying is dont make excuses. If it is not a priority for you, then that is fine, just don't make it sound like its TOO hard.

Also I agree with BCC, something is wrong with the numbers. Also what are your stats. I would literally die on 1000 cals. (not literally though)ha.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Thats not what I said BigChasey, I dont have problems bulking or cutting, I just have a problem cutting without losing muscle.

I can bulk without eating right because of timing, when your body builds muscle the meals that matter most are the meals right before and right after the workout, and maybe breakfast that next morning.

I just eat the biggest meal i can and use protien shakes to get in all the cals and protein i need during the times i need it.

To bulk you dont have to really consistantly eat well you just have to eat well when you work out.

With my cutting, I cut too quickly, I guess because I'm not eating enough cals like some people said, I guess i must figure out my maintnance cal whatever you call it, is there some kinda program i can enter in everything i eat and get the proper maintnance cal based on a program?

A Fortnight Dead
    Oh, man.
    "human kind/
    Cannot bear very much reality/
    Time past and time future/
    What might have been and what has been / Point to one end, which is always present."

-T.S. Eliot. "Four Quartets."

"Redistribution [of wealth] is in effect far less a redistribution of free income from the richer to the poorer, as we [had] imagined, than a redistribution of power from the individual to the State."
    -Jouvenal

Fear me, I am the bandersnatch.
    -Paul Stagg

With my cutting, I cut too quickly, I guess because I'm not eating enough cals like some people said, I guess i must figure out my maintnance cal whatever you call it, is there some kinda program i can enter in everything i eat and get the proper maintnance cal based on a program?
    Well, I guess you're beyond help, then. Sorry.

It's too bad nobody here has the answer you want.

I mean, you "have no problem bulking at 1000 calories a day", yet you're "cutting too quickly" on 1000 calories a day.

Looks like there's no hope.

Originally posted by _-_v_-_
    Oh, man.
    LMAO

i can just imagine your face when you read the post

When did I say I cut on 1000 calories a day? why do you assume stuff? Read exactly what I wrote.
    First I never said I get exactly 1000 calories per day.

Second I never said I cut on exactly 1000 calories per day.

Third I never said I bulk on exactly 1000 calories per day.

I said alot of days I get around 1000 calories, sometimes I get up to 1700, but I never really get much more than in this range.

My problem is not bulking or cutting, my question is how can I cut without losing muscle, this is not an easy question to answer and if the answer is to get more calories its not an easy solution for someone who has no control over the amount of calories they get.

If the answer is get more calories, fine, give some advice on how to get more calories quickly and cheaply besides drinking coke (I try to avoid the sugar)
    Also it would be useful to know how to properly figure out how many calories to cut on exactly, i know you measure the maintnance, I've read that for a 200lb person they must get around 2000 calories to bulk, I'm 190lbs and while bulking I aim for 1700 calories or so.
    So to cut i'd need to be at 1000 I'm guessing (700 below maintnance sounds about right?)

Usually though, I get between 1000-1700 cals a day naturally, I still manage to bulk in this range, and I manage to cut just by skipping a meal. I bulk when I know i can eat well, usually fridays and over the weekend I eat well so I train on friday, rest over the weekend, and spend all week getting around 1000 calories.

This has worked for a while now, but lately while I still see gains in muscle, I lose it just as fast.

So the problem isnt bulking, the problem is cutting without losing the gains I produce/produced.

any more confusion about my question?

and dont try to quote me saying I bulk on coke, I know some people like to assume things and jump to conclusions.

i'll tell you what mate before digging yourself deeper, do some searches on general training and diet and get yourself some foundation knowledge, that will probably answer 90% of your questions, and will probably save your rep, do sum reading and come back with some more knowledge.

B-R

Reputation is not important to me, I'm here for advice not reputation. I know the basics and general knowledge on cutting, you eat below your so called maintnance, but what if you guessed wrong? Thats when you ask for Advice big ron, and thats what I'm doing.

OR is the only purpose of posing here, to build a rep?

Reputation is not important to me, I'm here for advice not reputation. I know the basics and general knowledge on cutting, you eat below your so called maintnance, but what if you guessed wrong? Thats when you ask for Advice big ron, and thats what I'm doing.

OR is the only purpose of posing here, to build a rep?
    no way man, thats not at all what its about, but how can you expect quality answers when you show a poor attitude and ignorance.

Good Day

How did I show poor attitude? People asked questions such as my training and how many calories I got in per day, I answered them, then those same guys try to use my answers against me by making up quotes.

Ignorance? I wouldnt consider anything I said ignorant, I may lack knowledge, but i wouldnt be asking questions on this board if i were truely ignorant, if I were ignorant i'd believe that I'm cutting the right way and wouldnt try to get advice.