Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: When cutting how do you avoid muscle loss?

But since it seems no one here wants to give me advice and would prefer to call me ignorant, I will take my questions elsewhere.

"A 200lb person needs 2000 calories to bulk"

I take in 2000 calories per day from milk alone,and im cutting.
    You dont seem to be listening to people when they tell you the numbers you are coming up with are way out of sync with reality.

Nobody can help you with your problem until you at least recognise that your numbers are wrong.I would imagine even the slimmest of female fitness athletes take in more than 1000 calories a day.Never mind a grown man thinking that it is possible to eat that,and gain muscle mass,or even 2000 calories for that matter.
    Stats:
    Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 210
    BF: plenty
    Chest: 46"
    Arms:18"
    Thighs:29" now down to 28"
    Calves: 17.5"

Bench Max 308 x 4
    Squat 330 x 3 ATF
    Deadlift 404.8 x 1

Ok correct my numbers. How many calories SHOULD I be getting?

By the way I'm 196lbs, I'd say 170-180 of it is muscle.

How many calories do I need for maintnance? The whole theory if you dont gain weight or lose weight after a week to judge maintnance doesnt really work because metabolism adapts to the calories you eat on average.

Originally posted by Lucian
    By the way I'm 196lbs, I'd say 170-180 of it is muscle.

How many calories do I need for maintnance? The whole theory if you dont gain weight or lose weight after a week to judge maintnance doesnt really work because metabolism adapts to the calories you eat on average.
    So you are around 9% BF, you gotta bulk man, you must have a great frame already. If you want a number id say 3000-4000 for bulking but everyone is different.
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

3000-4000 damn, thats going to be difficult.

but thats a number to aim for, I think I need to buy some weight gainer supplement to get 4000 calories because thats at least double maybe triple what I eat in real food.

Well maybe not 4000 it depends, i bulked on 3500 cals a day, thats was gaining 1.5-2lbs per week, you'll more than likely be different.

It really is about experimenting, watching what you eat and the repsonce on the scales. oh yeah and dont forget to train.
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...005#post356005

seems this post here answers alot of my questions, same problem im having

Lucian...read this article paying attention to the section on "Gaining Mass"...if you count calories gaining weight is almost effertless

http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/...rogress-02.htm

Originally posted by Lucian
    its not an easy solution for someone who has no control over the amount of calories they get.
    I have a real, REAL big problem with this exact statement.

You already have the wrong attitude. To refuse to *TAKE CONTROL*, is to prepare for failure.

However, in the interest putting it in very simple terms, what you want to do is this:

Start counting your calories. Calculate roughly what your maintenance level is.

Once you have that number, you could (for example) subtract 200 calories, and see what happens over the period of 7 days. If your weight stays the same, then subtract another 100 (you want to be careful, since your daily total is already supposedly 1700). You want to keep tweaking it so that you don't lose more than 2 lbs. a week.....SOME PEOPLE BELIEVE EVEN SLIGHTLY LESS.

You'll need to check your nutrient breakdown too, but I won't get into that. Check whatever threads the others have recommended. And when you come back with questions (which we want you to do), come back with a more accurate idea of what your numbers are, and most of all, an open mind.