Thread: Who Uses Mentzers Heavy Duty 2 Program????

Wannabebig Member

Who Uses Mentzers Heavy Duty 2 Program????

Mentzer's heavy duty 2 program calls for about 3-5 days rest between workouts. With only 20 minute workouts. Now I believe that HIT program truly do work, but are these 20 minute workouts every 3-5 days too little or are they the perfect amount to put on massive amounts of muscle?

It can certainly work. Why not give it a go and you tell us.

Post the routine.

Banned
    IMHO, the hardest part of that kind of routine is that I LIKE going to the gym. I'd miss it if I was only there every 5 days. *sniff*

Wannabebig Member
    I did HIT for a short while. The strength gains were good but the muscle gains were a little lacking for me. I gave it up because, like Callahan, I like working out and felt I was not getting enough of it.

Why train only muscles only every 12-15 days (heavy duty 2 routine) ? When you can progress every 3-4 or 7 days. I think the problem with MM's routines is that he tried to create an universal routine.

If I were you I would do Full body routine and repeat only when I can do better, it can be 3 full body per week (beginner), 2x per week (intermediate-advanced) or 1x per week "hardgainer".

With Mike Mentzer routine you work each muscles once every 12 days. It may be too much rest for a lot of people !!

Arthur Jones propose the following :

2 full body per week, 8 exercises, 1 set to failure per exercice. If you can't progress every 4-5 days then insteed of training only once a week, train 2x per week but with 2 DIFFERENT routines. It's what proposed (recently) Ellington Darden and Jones.
    So you train each muscles 2x per week but progress on each exercise only once a week.
    Gain Muscles ? Overload !
    Lose Fat ? Input < Output
    Genetic determines your potential
    Chins : 10x106kg Dips 10x109kg

Originally posted by Gavan
    Arthur Jones propose the following :

2 full body per week, 8 exercises, 1 set to failure per exercice. If you can't progress every 4-5 days then insteed of training only once a week, train 2x per week but with 2 DIFFERENT routines. It's what proposed (recently) Ellington Darden and Jones.
    So you train each muscles 2x per week but progress on each exercise only once a week.
    Have you tried this?

Just curious if you actually progressed in every exercise once per week? Either reps or weight, its hard to believe that progress will be made on every exercise every week.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

yes I do it (HIT) now and progress well but I'm only on HIT since 7-8 weeks so... I can't tell you IT WORKS ! I can tell you it seems it works

my progression here : http://www.weightrainer.com/cgi-bin/...act=ST;f=2;t=7
    Gain Muscles ? Overload !
    Lose Fat ? Input < Output
    Genetic determines your potential
    Chins : 10x106kg Dips 10x109kg

I can attest that both the heavy duty, and the 2X week total body work. 3 years ago I was heavy duty, and strong as f^@k (for example: after 5 months I was FB dumbell pressing 130's for reps, DL 490lbs). I clocked in @ 235lbs @ 5'10", drugfree. I then took 2 years off. Big fat mistake (literally). God only knows where I'd be if I had only stuck with it. This time around I've gone to 2X week total body with similar results (not so strong this time) 240lbs @ 5'10". I may go back to HD, for grins, to see if I can recapture the strength from 3 years ago.

DJ
    = 8-->{I>