Thread: A Back Routine Without Chins/Pulldowns?

Hybrid View

A Back Routine Without Chins/Pulldowns?

What do you guys think about a back routine without a vertical row, a chinning or pulldown movement.

Lemme know what you guys think. BigChaseyChase seems to be one of the only guys here who is against chins and he brings an interesting idea to the table. Just thought I would surface the idea and get some opinions on it.

Seems that a great back can be built with rows exclusively.

.. Maybe with the addition of DB / Nautilus pullovers.

I can't do pull down, chin, or military press movements due to a shoulder injury that I have. In any of those positions my left shoulder will pop out of its socket. I train my back exclusivley with rows. I've never felt like my back was stronger then it is now.

Nautilus Pullovers rock. If you have the means, incorporate them with a row only routine.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Bail Enforcement Agent kathnmarc's Avatar
    Due to lack of equipment, I am forced to use rows only and have had no problems with back gains. I don't believe pulldowns are necessary, but I do like the way they isolate the "wings".
    Height: 5' - 10"
    Weight: 220 lbs
    Chest: 49"
    Waist: 35"
    Quads: 27.5"
    Bi/Tri: 18"

Bench: 305 x 1
    Barbell Curl: 160 x 1

Wide chins don't hit my lats. I have no clue why, but when I do the motion and look in the mirror....my lats get nothing. Underhand narrow grip pulldowns hit my lats nicely and I've been getting results from them.

Do what works for you.
    peace-

Craig

To avoid strength imbalance and improve joint integrity, I always suggest doing both a vertical and horizontal pull.

If youdon't want to do that, don't.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    I haven't been doing chins lately.

Yeah it seems that a few members have experienced good gains without chins in their back routines. Rows pretty much exclusively. Big chris mason has been doing support rows exclusively for some time now in his journal.

More opinions?

Some feel that chins built their lats. Which is interesting because others feel that they didnt even notice them gone.

I know I couldn't do a routine without pullups because I just like the movement too much.

Another thing to consider is that, the way I'm working my lower body right now, chins are one of few free-weight movements I can do for my lats that won't irritate my already over-worked lower back.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    searched round the net what are Nautilus Pullovers???
    w00t

Yes monster you can build a great back with out chins or pulldown. But why would you want to?

millertime:

If you can build a great back without chins why would you include them. If we discovered that flat BB presses were that absolute worst exercise for your pecs and that flat DB presses were safer, and hit your chest better, why would you still do flat BB presses. Just a redundant exercise for no reason.

I think if you are going to try to do it, it might be a good change of pace for your body. Might give it a good shocker!!!
    I like to do 2 pulldown exercises and 2 row exercises each time out. row/pulldown/row/pulldown the hammer strenght underhand pulldowns kill my lats, thats why i always do them after heavy T-Bar rows.
    Don't just call me pessimist. Try and read between the lines. I can't imagine why you wouldn't Welcome any change, my friend. I wanna see it all come down. suck it down. flush it down.

Genetic Experiment GeneticallyGifted's Avatar
    Stockholm, Sweden...Mainly, New York,New York, Los Angeles,CA., Civitinova Marche, Italy
    This wouldn't be a workout for me because I love PULLUPS, I believe they have helped widen my back along with food of course.

GG
    STATS COMING SOON:Age: 29 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 78KG/ 172LBS| bf: |Years Training:?? | All-natural: Yes|

Chest: | Shoulders: | Upper Arm: | Forearm: |
    Waist: |Neck:| Upper Thigh: | Calf: |

Personal Bests: COMING SOON:
    Flat Barbell Presses: | Dips: |Wide-grip Palms Away: |
    Military Barbell Press: |Barbell Squats: |

Exactly GG, a lot of guys feel that chins built their lats. Strange to think of a back routine without them.

Pull ups for me are xtremly hard to perform!

Other opinions? Not to be annoying but I am just trying to get a few ideas about a back routine consisting mainly of rows and pullovers.

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    I only do 2 sets of chins, period. They're just a lats exercise, same as rows or pullovers. Rows just lend themselves to assisting bench better, so I lean towards rowing.

Yeah I am going to see what happens with my back without chins. See what kind of DOMS I get, etc. I cant imagine a routine without chins but well see what happens.

Originally posted by MonStar
    millertime:

If you can build a great back without chins why would you include them.
    Because chins I enjoy doing chins, its an ego boosting exercise to do chin-ups with weight hanging off of you.

If we discovered that flat BB presses were that absolute worst exercise for your pecs and that flat DB presses were safer, and hit your chest better, why would you still do flat BB presses. Just a redundant exercise for no reason. [/B]
    You would perform that exercise because you want to. There are many exercise that will target the same muscle, is one better then the other? Are you going to grow that much bigger if you drop chins and add more rows? As long as the exercise cause hypertrophy, the rest is up to your diet and recover. Do you think there are different degrees of hypertrophy?

If smacking your self in the face with a 45 plate grew more muscle then squats would you do it? No. I know its a bad analogy but you get my point.

Your trying to find this perfect routine, and your missing the point that training should be a fun thing. Itís your hobby not a meal ticket.