Thread: box squats

Threaded View

box squats

Some questions about box squats here. I read the article at Westside:
    http://www.westside-barbell.com/HTM/box_squatting.htm

I'm not a powerlifter, which is the audience for the article above. Anybody here do box squats in a non-powerlifting routine?

I've made a 14.5" squat box, which puts me a little below parallel. I've been doing a set of 12 reps, trying to go up a fast as I possibly can. This requires resting between reps once I get to about 7-8 reps. I've learned to avoid letting the momentum generated from making my knees lock out at the top.

The Westside article talks about doing several sets of 2 reps. Being that I don't powerlift and I don't do back squats in sets of 2 reps, I don't think that is what I want to be doing.

I did back squats today, 240 pounds for 10 reps, below parallel with my butt just touching the squat box at the bottom. I don't rest on the box or put much weight on it at all. My max working weight so far has been 260 pounds for 6 reps. I've been squatting since March, and I know this isn't much weight so far for a male weighing 220-225 pounds at 6'3". I hope to be working with 315 pounds by the end of March.

I've done box squats so far with 145 for 12 reps. This is much lighter relative to my back squat weight than the Westside article calls for. I've used low weight because I've been trying to blast up on box squats with as much speed as possible. Should I be using more weight for them?

My typical leg workout is this:
    back squats (1 or 2 sets)
    seated calf raises (2 sets)
    standing calf raises (2 sets)
    box squats (1 set)
    45 degree hyperextensions (1 set)
    crunches (1 or 2 sets)

Does it work to do back squats and box squats in the same workout? I don't do any kind of conjugate periodization. I start a mesocycle with a weight for each exercise that lets me do 12-15 reps. I then add 5 or 10 pounds on each exercise every workout, which I do every third day. I do as many reps as I can do with flawless form, not to true momentary failure. I keep this mesocycle going until I'm doing 4-6 reps for each exercise, then I start over with a higher starting weight than the last cycle. It's a bastardization of HST, and it's been working very well for me for the last 2-3 months.

Any opinions and suggestions will be appreciated.
    Last edited by Delphi; 11-20-2002 at 11:50 PM.