Thread: Food before bed?

Wannabebig Member

Food before bed?

What do you think about eating Fruit and drinking skimmed milk before bed?
    Good for a bulking diet or just alot of sugar?

I'm eating an apple now actually.

That one meal makes little difference on it's own. It depends more upon the rest of the day's eating.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Wannabebig Member
    So you think its a "good idea" to drink Skimmed milk and eat fruit before going to bed?

I can't get a straight answer on this. I know eating fruit and milk are good for you.

It's better than eating crap food yeah sure...but it makes very little difference.
    -Stray-

"When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win." - Ed Macauley

I work out because I have two daughters.....and one day they'll be teenagers.

Originally posted by Scotty the Body
    So you think its a "good idea" to drink Skimmed milk and eat fruit before going to bed?

I can't get a straight answer on this. I know eating fruit and milk are good for you.
    I told you, it depends on what you've already eaten.

You're not STB from IM are you? Your style of writing it totally different. If you've hacked his account then i suggest you say bu-bye pretty sharpish.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Originally posted by Scotty the Body

*** If you "know" that it is good for you, why would it not be a good idea? Using your own logic you've answered your own question.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

What they are saying is, eating it before bed is not significantly different than any other time of the day. I would prob ad a small amount of fat, as that meal is fat free or pretty close to it.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Dude can't let this die.

Let me give you one good example Scotty. Doug Hepburn. Doug was the first man to bench press over 500 lbs, he did so naturally. Doug loved bananas and milk. Ate and drank tons. Doug was not the leanest guy, but he was incredibly big and strong, drug free.

If you are worried about bodyfat, 1 apple and banana, and a glass or 2 of skimmed milk before bed is not the issue. If that alone is going to add bodyfat, then you are consuming an excess of calories throughout the day. Sadly, you are a child of the times. Your are brainwashed by the supplement companies, diet gurus, and their respective agendas. Fruit and skim milk are not the enemy, carbs are not the enemy, excess is the enemy (if bodyfat is your concern). I can assure you Scotty, or Homer, you, or anyone else, can lose bodyfat while consuming those foods before bed assuming the rest of your diet, and your total caloric intake, is in line with that goal.

And thus spoke Chris Mason.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Tir na nOc Pursuer Borgod Maxximus's Avatar
    haha
    "In the pool of dreams, the water darkens for the soul thats tired of search"

Varg Vikernes

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    *bows down*
    w00t

Har de har...

Wait a second.

Are you trying to tell us that, when it comes down to it, this is simple?

That we dont need to pay someone to tell us when to eat what?

That unless you are a precontest bodybuilder in the last few weeks of preparation, what you eat when really doesn't matter all that much??
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I obsess about my bodyfat too much (ex-fat kid syndrome) so i personally pay more attention to such detail than others.

But i'm not scared of eating late at night or eating certain things past a certain hour - depending on my feedings for that day.

Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
    I obsess about my bodyfat too much (ex-fat kid syndrome) so i personally pay more attention to such detail than others.

But i'm not scared of eating late at night or eating certain things past a certain hour - depending on my feedings for that day.
    I can relate to the ex-fat kid syndrome myself. Back on topic...

you want to ingest a protein source that has high anti-catabolic propeties and low (or no sugar) sugar before bed...milk would be ok but cottage cheese would be much better due to the very low carb count

Might I point out that Chris is primarily focused on strength, not looks. Sheesh, he's married and has kids.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Why did scotty change his name?

*chik! chik!

Originally posted by LAM
    you want to ingest a protein source that has high anti-catabolic propeties and low (or no sugar) sugar before bed...milk would be ok but cottage cheese would be much better due to the very low carb count
    this is true if:

You are trying to reduce bodyfat

AND

Your daily caloric count is such that the meal fits your caloric needs, and you are limiting carbohydrate intake.

You can eat whey and table sugar before bed if you want, even when dieting, assuming your caloric expenditure is higher than your caloric intake. Is it the 'best' way? No. Does it matter much? No.

If your goal is to put on muscle, a pre bed meal shoudl consist of the same things any other meal does. Milk and fruit is fine.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig Member
    Lets take Chris out of this whole thing, (Ok, I know I'm the one that started the whole thing and I'm sorry)

Lets just say its for myself, I'm wanting to bulk up but want to keep any extra body fat gained to a minimum.
    Should I have the Milk and fruit or what LAM suggested.

You already answered Paul, so you loose your turn. J/K

Oh, and thanks for letting me stay this time Hulk.

Damn. I hate burning a turn like that.

The answer is: It really doesn't matter much.

My suggestion: Eat some protein, some fat, and some carbs. It's just another meal. The fact that you are going to go to sleep after it doesn't change that.

Now, there are general guidelines for ALL of your meals, depending on yor individual preferences and your individual sensitivity (for lack of a better word) to items, specifically carbs.

Don't over think this. I know there are people out there telling us that what we eat when is crucial... and they want to sell you their services on just how to do it. Bottom line is, unless you are a competitive bodybuilder (and even then in the last few weeks prior to a show), it really doesn't matter all that much.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Originally posted by Scotty-the-Body
    Should I have the Milk and fruit or what LAM suggested.
    Yes.

IMO, as some others ahve said, depends on your overall diet, your physiology, and what you've done that day.

would i choose milk and fruit as the last thing before bed? not necessarily. just excess sugar. i would rather do the cottage cheese, as you get more protein, and less sugar, and a little fat to build those hormones with.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Originally posted by Tryska
    IMO, as some others ahve said, depends on your overall diet, your physiology, and what you've done that day.

would i choose milk and fruit as the last thing before bed? not necessarily. just excess sugar. i would rather do the cottage cheese, as you get more protein, and less sugar, and a little fat to build those hormones with.
    "In the grand scheme of things, both things are quite superficial(obsessed with being muscular&ripped and incredibly strong). And yet lifting can teach you so much. My time at the gym--at least when I'm lifting--is invariably the high-point of my day. There aren't any questions; I almost don't even think. I go into an almost meditative trance-like state. Day-to-day worries become insignificant. I'm focused solely on the weight, and my reason for existence is clear. To move the bar and to improve on what I accomplished last time. Seldom are things so simple." - Blood&Iron

"Most people cannot understand what burns in our blood, the gym is our addiction and iron is our drug. People don't understand why we commit hours a day to a goal where progress is so small it seems immeasurable, why we do cardio instead of watch TV, why eat 6 meals a day, why we insist on ordering diet soda or how we can drink skim milk. Most people will simply never grasp why we refuse to settle for a mediocre body." - Severed Ties

I always have some veggies and cottage cheese. I sometimes throw in a little PB or Flax. I am successfully cutting.