Thread: Military Press

Hybrid View

Military Press

I was wondering if I should drop Military Press from my routine. Here's my workout on shoulder day:

Every set to failure:
    2 sets Military Press
    2 sets Incline Overhead DB press
    2 sets Flat BB Bench Press
    2 sets Incline BB Bench Press
    2 sets Decline BB Bench Press

My delts are always killing me after this workout, which doesn't bother me exactly, I was just wondering if I'm overtraining my delts.....
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Re: Military Press

Originally posted by stpatrick44
    I was wondering if I should drop Military Press from my routine. Here's my workout on shoulder day:

Every set to failure:
    2 sets Military Press

My delts are always killing me after this workout, which doesn't bother me exactly, I was just wondering if I'm overtraining my delts.....
    correct me if i'm wrong, but......i see 4 chest(incl.oh press: incline,decline, and flat BB presses) and only one direct shoulder(military press) exercise. is this your routine for chest as well? i'd either do BB or DB incline, not both. am i missing something?
    STATS:
    • 5'9"
    • ~185

The Big 3 (2 sets):
    Flat BB Bench 270
    Deadlift 355 (no belt/straps)
    Squat

yeah I work chest and shoulders and back on the same day....Maybe drop the incline BB bench instead?

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Originally posted by stpatrick44
    yeah I work chest and shoulders and back on the same day....Maybe drop the incline BB bench instead?
    why so much in one workout?

yeah, as far as doing both DB & BB inclines, just do one OR the other.
    STATS:
    • 5'9"
    • ~185

The Big 3 (2 sets):
    Flat BB Bench 270
    Squat

Wannabebig Member
    I would move your shoulder exercise to the end, you want them to be fresh for chest.
    Do either DB or BB movements, and I would add a fly movement or dips, so do two pressing movements and one fly movement for chest and at least one or two shoulder exercises.

my chest/shoulder day looks like this:

chest 1st: 2X BB decline
    2x DB incline
    2x wide-grip weighted dips

shoulders: 2x BB upright rows
    2x BB standing OH press
    2x smith OH press
    STATS:
    • 5'9"
    • ~185

The Big 3 (2 sets):
    Flat BB Bench 270
    Squat

This is what your workout was:

2 sets Military Press

This is what I'd change it to:

2 sets Incline DB Press
    2 sets military Press

I wouldn't do shoulder press first. Bench involves more muscle groups, so do it first. This will enable you to work your pecs better, and warm up your shoulders before military press. Then just start with heavy militaries. I don't know why you do incline DB press and incline BB press, so I advised you to drop the BB press, rather pointless doing the same thing twice. DBs are easier and safer so I chose those over BB. I only included decline because I figure you do em cuz you like em or for some other reason. If you want I'd maybe drop those as well...and just add some sets in so the volume is to your liking. If you drop declines you can just do 3 sets on the other chest exercises and even militaries as well. This will keep total sets roughly the same.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

A. F.
    Definitely do military press...

I personally don't do it standing up because it puts a lot of stress on my back when its arching, and it just doesn't feel right..

its ace..

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Actually, standing is better for your back than sitting, if proper form is used. Spine compression is greater when sitting down while if you're standing the load gets distributed across the rest of your body. Personally I always do it standing. Much more complete exercise.

it helps to use a waist belt to help support your back(plus...it looks cool )
    STATS:
    • 5'9"
    • ~185

The Big 3 (2 sets):
    Flat BB Bench 270
    Squat

id split shoulders and chest.i feel it keeps your shoulders in a constant state of growth because of how hard they are trained when doing heavy benches.id recommend at least three days between.

I stopped doing militaries, along with any direct shoulder training, a month ago, and my max military press was 110. I maxed Friday, and threw up 145 with perfect form. Bench press along with other exercises are enough shoulder work without any direct work.

Originally posted by pat s
    id split shoulders and chest.i feel it keeps your shoulders in a constant state of growth because of how hard they are trained when doing heavy benches.id recommend at least three days between.
    i think i'll take that advice and split up my shoulder-chest day and see how things progress. probabley do chest/abs, shoulders/legs and arms/back split. you're right ....it is a lot of strain on the shoulders when combining chest/shoulders. time to switch it up anyway
    STATS:
    • 5'9"
    • ~185

The Big 3 (2 sets):
    Flat BB Bench 270
    Squat

I work shoulders and chest on the same day because of the compound movement excercises that work both (bench, etc). I don't wanna split them, cause I feel that I'd be overtraining if I did them on 2 seperate days.

Originally posted by Hercule
    I stopped doing militaries, along with any direct shoulder training, a month ago, and my max military press was 110. I maxed Friday, and threw up 145 with perfect form. Bench press along with other exercises are enough shoulder work without any direct work.
    I'll take that into consideration.

Wannabebig Member
    What about lateral raises?