Thread: Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press

Ecoli die

Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press

My deadlift is finally coming in line as compared to my squat and bench press (deadlifting more than I squat or bench) but now my squat is falling behind. sigh. I bench more than I squat now.

Bench 205
    Deadlift 275
    Squat 195

Just saying darn.
    Now in pain, only working out the walking sticks.

Just trying to learn
    How deep do you squat?? If you are doing full squats, you obviously won't be able to do as much weight as you could if say, you were doing squats to parallel. But good job with the deadlift.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    i was like that for a long time, well not the part about benching more than I squat...but still. i started deadlifting later, so it took some time to pass the other 2. How'd your squat fall behind? Give us some details

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I'd say if I helped you with your squat form for 5 minutes it would pass your bench. How are you squatting now?
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Re: Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press

Originally posted by Tiare
    My deadlift is finally coming in line as compared to my squat and bench press (deadlifting more than I squat or bench) but now my squat is falling behind. sigh. I bench more than I squat now.

Bench 205
    Deadlift 275
    Squat 195

Just saying darn.
    Don't worry about that too much, just focus on improving. And we need to know how low you squat.......
    hardcore

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    I'll take you up on your offer LATMAN. My squat sucks hairy ass.

3:16
    there are some people with better benchs than squats. don't some powerlifter have better benches than squats (assuming they are not injured).

Though if both your squat and bench are progressing why stop try and change it, one will eventually platuea.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Ecoli die
    feet shouder width apart, bar resting high on traps, arch the back as I push my butt towards the floor until my legs are parrallel to the floor. Drive up through the balls of the feet keeping the back arched while pushing back and up keeping my feet flat on the ground.

I try not to lean forward while I lift (keeping my back as verticle as I can) so that I'm not cheating by using my back instead of my legs.

Hope that made sense and you can give me pointers if I need to change my form Latman. I know that can be hard with a written description.

Incidentally, my bench has gone up 2 times in the past 2 weeks (went from 180 to 205). I'm going to do 205 on the squats today and try 215 next week. I think this may be a psychological problem with my squats.
    Now in pain, only working out the walking sticks.

I'd say work on your form.

To this very day I can still improve my squat by working on technique.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    With squats, going from what you are doing now, to widening my stance, lowering the bar on my back, staying tight and using knee wraps I think I added 50 lbs to my squat in one session. Afer working on that stuff for a while and getting better and better it has gone up a bunch more.

If you want to lift the most weight, get your feet out wider than shoulders. Also, don't put the bar on top of our traps. Pull your shoulder blades together and tighten your upper back. Feel around with the bar until it sits in that groove that is 4-6" or so below the top of your traps. Get it in their tight before you lift the bar off the rack. After that take in a deep breath and tighten your midsection actually pushing out as the air is taken in(you should see your stomach actually grow a few inches). Keep this tight threw the whole lift or let it out near the very top of the lift if you need to.

A few other pointers:

Keep your head and chest up.
    Keep your feet turned slightly out and push your knees outward.
    Focus on sitting back instead of down, keeping your back arched.

That's about the best I can do typing it out.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    The only thing I think I'm missing is lowering the bar on my back. I'll give that a whirl and report back.

Originally posted by LATMAN
    With squats, going from what you are doing now, to widening my stance, lowering the bar on my back, staying tight and using knee wraps I think I added 50 lbs to my squat in one session. Afer working on that stuff for a while and getting better and better it has gone up a bunch more.

If you want to lift the most weight, get your feet out wider than shoulders. Also, don't put the bar on top of our traps. Pull your shoulder blades together and tighten your upper back. Feel around with the bar until it sits in that groove that is 4-6" or so below the top of your traps. Get it in their tight before you lift the bar off the rack. After that take in a deep breath and tighten your midsection actually pushing out as the air is taken in(you should see your stomach actually grow a few inches). Keep this tight threw the whole lift or let it out near the very top of the lift if you need to.

A few other pointers:

Keep your head and chest up.
    Keep your feet turned slightly out and push your knees outward.
    Focus on sitting back instead of down, keeping your back arched.

That's about the best I can do typing it out.

Nice post...Well said!!

So...would you say knee wraps helped you out alot?? I'm considering buying some because when i do a heavy session of squats i can feel my knees starting to ache. It usually happens around the last few sets.
    "Plan for difficulty when it is still easy, do the great when it is still small."
    -Tao Te Ching

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."
    -Confucius