Thread: taking measurments

Wannabebig Member
    Last edited by bigdaddykrull; 06-06-2013 at 06:58 AM.

Here are the basic methods of taking measurements of the primary muscles, hope it answers your question.

The Neck- place the tape around your neck above the base. Measure fairly tightly but not enough to decrease the measurement. Certainly don’t measure anywhere tightly enough to choke urself

Shoulder width- using a mirror is ideal for this measurement, hold the tape in front of you at shoulder height. Measure across from the widest part of your shoulders at the sides and above where the upper arms begin.

Chest- wrap the tape around your chest as high under your arms as possible. Bring the tape together in front of you. Lower your arms to their sides so your chest takes its normal and expansive size. Relax. The largest measurement in this process, the one you take once relaxed, is the accurate measurement (not with your chest out like dolly parton
    part 2, measure only the front of your chest from under one armpit to under the other. If you have a balanced measurement between the size of your chest and your upper back your chest should be about 1/3 of the larger chest measurement that you took just previously.

The upper arms; bicheps and tricheps -PLace the tape measure around the extended upper arm. Now make a muscle pumping your upper arm and lower arm together. Double check to make sure that the tape spans the broadest parts of your triceps (bottom) and biceps (top) of the upper arm. This is the best measurement to take for validity.

Your triceps should appear to be twice the size (approx) of your biceps during this measurement. This will tell you that you have balance between your biceps and triceps and that you don’t need more training of one or the other.

The forearms are measured wrapping the tape around the widest part and flexing, try and create the vulcan pose to get a good measurement
    Measure the waist at the broadest part, the part that sticks out the most. Neither draw your waist in nor stick it out. This is the accurate measurement and if it is a healthy one, it will be a trim measurement without having to “suck in the beer belly!”.

on to the hips-Measuring the hips gives us the size of the hips and of the gluteal muscles or “the behind”. Simply measure all the way around at hip level catching the broadest part of the hips and the seat of your pants. This is the proper hip measurement.

The thighs are measured separately like the arms. Surround the upper leg as high up as possible. Now flex and extend outward the thigh muscles and this will give you the correct size for your thighs.

The thighs are made up of muscles to the front back and sides. With proper training you should be able to determine a fairly even development of each all the way around, look at Big Chasey Chase for a good example of developed thighs .

Finally the calves or lower legs.
    The calves are measured at the thickest part and are flexed for an accurate reading. Extend the toe and raise the heel in order to flex and push the calve muscle out at the same time. This will give you a full measurement.

I'd reccomend that you take the measurements once/twice month, as you should feel better this way as you'll see larger gains than looking at smaller gains every week. Just my opinion, but frustration could easily creep in with constant checking.

Now go and measure

B-R
    Last edited by Silverback; 11-29-2002 at 01:22 PM.
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Great post Big-Ron. I didn't know some of that stuff. Thanks.

Originally posted by restless
    Great post Big-Ron. I didn't know some of that stuff. Thanks.
    No problem, last year as part of my degree program i had to plan a program for a Bodybuilder. Part of that included charting progress, so me and my study partner formulated some guides, one of which was the tape measurements.

B-R
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...