The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Mixta's workout journal

Ive finally got off my ass and started a journal. This year the goals are hypertrophy, endurance and progression for football (rugby league) but not at the expense of form and keep my size as well although I dont want to get any bigger. This would roughly be a year now since Ive been lifting on and off because of things that happened last year that were beyond my control (work, relationship problems, death of a close friend etc) which knocked me around a bit and my training suffered as a consequence. My cardio consists of either a 30 minute walk or running through the sandunes which are really steep and overlook the ocean and will be done on my days off from the gym. My workout consists of a 3-4 day split which will vary because of work.
    To anybody who is reading this, I thank you very much for taking the time to drop by and having a look, and comments are always welcome and are very much appreciated.

Stats:
    Height: 6"1.75
    Weight: 220 lbs

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Friday 3rd January 03

Back, Biceps

First of 5 mins on the exercise bike. The gym is rather quiet which suits me fine.

DB ROWS

1*12 @ 70 lbs
    1*12 @ 65
    1*12 @ 65

Form was ok, it got the lats cooking

CHINS

I do chins on the chinup machine. The plan is to progress from the machine to doing them myself. The weight of this machine stack is measured in kilos which go up by 5 kilos each time. I think how its measured is by your body weight minus the weight being used on the stack, the lighter the weight you use the stronger you get and when you dont have any more weight to use you can progress to doing chins the way they should be done, by yourself unassisted.

1*12 @ -55 kgs
    1*12 @ -60 kgs
    1*12 @ -60 kgs

Not too bad, form was good, a bit tired though

BB CURLS

1*12 @ 55lbs
    1*12 @ 50
    1*12 @ 50

DB SHRUGS

1*12 @ 70 lbs
    1*12 @ 65 lbs
    1*12 @ 65 lbs

ABS

1*20 @ 22lbs plate on the decline bench
    1*20 @ 22
    1*20 @ 22

A good workout overall, nice flow, had a strawberry protein shake and went home

Time Taken= 58 mins
    Starting time of workout= 8:00 am

Energizer Bunnie

Re: Mixta's workout journal

Originally posted by mixta
    This year the goals are hypertrophy, endurance and progression for football (rugby league) but not at the expense of form and keep my size as well although I dont want to get any bigger.
    Good luck with you goals, Mixta
    "Happiness is not an accident. Nor is it something you wish for. Happiness is something you design." Jim Rohn

A Work In Progress....II

DailyDiet

Thanks Franjipani

Monday 6th Jan 03

This workout went for 45 mins as I arrived 45 mins before closing time.

Warmup: 5 mins on the bike

CHEST SHOULDERS AND TRICEPS

DB BENCH PRESS

1*12 @ 70lbs
    1*12 @ 65
    1*12 @ 65

Weights stated are for each hand but it still doesnt hide the fact that its not a very heavy weight at all, lol. The form was good though. My goal is to be able to do 100lbs for 3 sets of 12 by the end of the year but other guys who I have talked to at the gym suggest I can reach 100lbs sooner if I drop the amount of reps and sets I do. The thing I hate is that the minute I go heavier on my DB press it stuffs up the other exercises I have to do for the workout.

DIPS
    1*12 @ bodyweight unassisted
    1*12 @ bodyweight unassisted

PEC DECK
    1*12 @ 55lbs
    1*12 @ 55
    1*12 @ 55

Form was a little shaky. Needs more work. I like to hold the position when my forearms touch each other for a second or two to give my pecs a good frying.

SEATED DB PRESS
    1*12 @ 45lbs
    1*12 @ 40
    1*12 @ 40

I cant seem to get any heavier for some reason, maybe im overtraining them or Im doing them on the wrong day, im not really sure. Anyway at this time a few curl and db pullover jockeys are sparring behind me and mucking around, there is a friggin boxing ring upstairs and a child minding service available too and yet they muck around in the weights section. One guy says to the other, "Im doing some pullovers so I can get some bigger ribs". I wished him good luck under my breath and went on to do some...

SEATED DB RAISES

1*12 @ 15lbs
    1*12 @ 15
    1*12 @ 15

A bit rushed, as I was pressed for time, got the "Trying to fly" look happening.

TRICEP BOMBERS

1*12 @ 55lbs
    1*12 @ 50
    1*12 @ 50
    I put the plates on properly last time as they fell off last time I did them, the things that make the weight stay on are pretty flimsy and to tighten them up with your hand only just keeps them in place. Ive a funny feeling they will fall off in time again when I get heavier on them.

ABS
    1*20 @ 22lbs
    1*20 @ 22
    1* 20 (with no weight)

Workout is done just before closing time, I grab a protien shake and im off.

Workout time 45mins
    Time started 7:13pm

I'll check out some journals of other members tomorrow as I have never had the chance to really have a good look at them because im always pressed for time, which is why my post count is so low.

WEDNESDAY 8TH JAN

BACK, BICEPS, (legs to be done on saturday or sunday depending on where I can fit it in)

Warmup: 5 mins on the bike

DB ROWS

1*8 @ 70lbs
    1*12@ 65
    1*12 @ 65
    1*5 @ 70

I should have pushed myself harder on the first set of 70lbs. I was in two minds for some reason. Ripped through the 65 but it has a narrower grip compared to the 70lbs, which might be throwing me off a bit.

CHINS (on the chin up machine)

1*12 @ -50kgs
    1*12 @ -55kgs
    1*12 @ -55kgs
    1*6 @ -50kgs (failed on 6th rep)

FLAT BAR BICEP CURLS

1*12 @ 55lbs
    1*12 @ 60
    1*8 @ 60
    1*4 @ 60

Form was OK on the 60s but were a little bit forced though. A improvement on last week though.

SHRUGS (on the supprt T-bar row machine)

1*12 @ 88lbs
    1*12 @ 88lbs
    1*12 @ 88lbs

Shocking! I spent all my energy on the extra sets earlier. This wont happen again.

ABS (decline bench)

1*20 @ 22lbs
    1*20 @ 22
    1*20 @ 22

Had I have used my energy wisely and have been in a better frame of mind I would have done better. I am glad I did the workout though, I almost didnt go. I had a Caramel Protein shake this time.

Time taken 1hr
    Time started 7:00pm

Had I have used my energy wisely and have been in a better frame of mind I would have done better. I am glad I did the workout though, I almost didnt go. I had a Caramel Protein shake this time.
    Don't worry about sparing your energy. Looks like a really good workout regardless. LOL, if nothing else you got a caramel protein shake out of it. Do you eat or take anything for energy before going to the gym?

...running through the sandunes which are really steep and overlook the ocean
    Don't make me jealous man! Where abouts are you that you have this incredible option?
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Thanks for the reply HY, Im in NSW, Australia, Pics are coming soon of the dunes, it really is breathtaking. Its hard to ignore the view even when youre buggered from running up to the top. You have to watch where you park though, Ive been caught out parking on a bit that had gravel covering it making you think that its solid but when you drive on it, its beachsand and you get bogged. I check before I park or drive now, lol.

With my diet, It still needs work and Ive been experimenting a bit by eating two hours before my workout usually either a shake or a banana, nothing strict as yet. Im fishing around in the diet section and seeing what else other people take.

SUNDAY 12th JAN 03

BACK, LEGS, BICEPS

Warmup: 10 minutes on the bike

DB ROWS

1*12 @ 75lbs (PR!!)

1*12 @ 80lbs (PR!!)

1*10 @ 75lbs

Thats the best Ive done! I dont know where the energy came from considering I did this exercise on wednesday night. The only downside is that I used the narrower handle DB's. But from now on in I will start using the thicker grip DB's as from 80lbs up they have thicker handles anyway.

ASSISTED CHINS (palms facing each other)

1*12 @ -50kgs pause for a second at the top

1*12 @ -50kgs

1*6 @ -50kgs

Not bad, the rows ate a bit out of me though.

STANDING CALF RAISES

1* 12 @ 240lbs

1* 12 @ 260

1* 12 @ 300 (PR!!!) 10 sec pause at the top

Im happy with reaching the 300lbs, nearly cramped up with the 10second pause, the machine didnt do my sunburn on my shoulders much good either, but I reached 300lbs

45 DEGREE LEG PRESS

1*12 @ 390lbs

1*12 @ 400

1*12 @ 420 (PR!!!)

Im happy with the 420 but I Felt I could have done more but I was worried about my calves cramping up as the nearly cramped a bit from the calf raises which gave me a bit of a scare. I absolutely hate cramps!

LEG EXTENSIONS

1*12 @ 110lbs

1*12 @ 130lbs

1*12 @ 120lbs

Need to work on form a bit for this one which is cool as this machine only goes up to 130lbs anyway. By this time I am limping around a bit, I was going to do standing leg curls but I couldnt be bothered laoding the thing up so I decide to do Lying Leg Curls instead, lol.

LYING LEG CURLS

1*12 @ 25 (1 second pause at at top)

1* 12 @ 25 ( 1 second pause at top)

1* 12 @ 25 ( " " ")

1*12 @ 25 (" " ')

All reps were done really slow. It looks a bit lopsided the weight Im using but thats because my hammies arent as good as the rest but im working on it but they dont seem to respond as well as my calves or thighs

DB CURLS

1*12 @ 20lbs

1*12 @ 20 lbs

1 *12 @ 20 lbs

Using light weight as Ive already done my biceps earler in the week.

ABS ( Decline Bench)

1 * 20 @ 20 lbs

1 * 20 no weight

I didnt get to do my traps as there wasnt enough time left but a good workout overall. Had a strawberry protein shake and that was it

Workout time: 1hour 30 mins ( A bit of chatting too, caught up with a friend I havent seen for years.)

Time commenced 3:15pm

woohoo another aussie!

good luck with the training and reaching your goals!

any water restrictions near you?
    'you cant avoid confrontation in life. it just makes things more trouble down the road. sometimes you have to look at the bull and say "f--k you bull" and grab that bull by the horns'

-Shane

Hi McBain thanks for looking at my journal. We had water restrictions last month, even though there was no real shortage of water. I havent heard anything lately about water restrictions, just stuff you hear on the radio about being more responsible with water ( washing car on grass instead of driveway, stuff like that.)

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    You work your upper body too much. That or you just dont post when you work your lower.

Um..eat more...?

Your avatar looks really pi$$ed.

"damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Ive been experimenting a bit by eating two hours before my workout usually either a shake or a banana
    If you can eat a good 2 hours ahead of time. Then when it gets closer to workout time, get a small shake. This has seemed to help me. Don't over do it on the meal though. Eating too much can make you a little too lethargic later. It took me a while to learn that one. LOL, I can be a slow learner sometimes.
    What is elite?

Energizer Bunnie
    Excellent workout Mixta.....you have new PR's coming out the yin-yang

Looking forward to some of those dune pics....sounds sensational
    "Happiness is not an accident. Nor is it something you wish for. Happiness is something you design." Jim Rohn

A Work In Progress....II

DailyDiet

Franji, Thanks for the compliments I hope I can do it again this week so I can prove to myself that it wasnt a fluke, lol. Ill be taking the pics as soon as I get out the digital camera that I put on lay-by a while ago.

HomeYield:

If you can eat a good 2 hours ahead of time. Then when it gets closer to workout time, get a small shake. This has seemed to help me. Don't over do it on the meal though. Eating too much can make you a little too lethargic later. It took me a while to learn that one. LOL, I can be a slow learner sometimes.
    Thanks for the advice, It helps me a lot. Im going to try eating something decent 2hrs before the workout. Youre spot on with the feeling lethargic after eating too much, I did that two weeks ago by having lasagne and it really slowed me down.

NateDogg: Thanks for dropping by. Youre right, the avatar does look rather angry, lol

Budiak: It sure does look like I give my upper body too much of a workout, its something that needs to be looked at, Ill post my routine soon as I think its time for a change. Also I will be posting my meals too.

Let us know how it goes. I'm normally just able to get a shake before I workout because I workout pretty much an hour after waking up. I think eating would help me out a little bit more but I just don't want to eat that close to working out. 2hrs ahead of time should be good if you don't over do it.

I agree with Budiak. It looks like your upper body might not be getting a whole lot of rest. Are you working back and bi's twice a week or did you just do that on leg day to make up for a day?
    What is elite?

WEDNESDAY 15th JAN 03 ( second attempt at typing this, just copped a dropout )

CHEST, SHOULDERS, TRICEPS

No warmup on the bike today as im pressed for time and I only have a 40 min workout for me which started at 7:20 pm

DB BENCH PRESS

warmup on the hammer chest press machine with no weight for 12 reps. Then used light weight on the bench with DB's

1*8 @ 75lbs (Heaviest Ive used although I really wanted to go for 12 reps but it didnt happen)

1*12 @ 65

1*8 @65 (forced reps after the 6th rep)

1*5 @ 65 (forced reps)

My arms got mega fatigued when I swung the 75lbs DB's up before I lowered myself on to the bench. Whenever I get this feeling when I swing the weight up, I know straight away that im gonna have trouble. Copped a bit of a sore shoulder afterwards but thought nothing of it as my form was good. Later on when I got home the pain was bad, something that ive never felt before.

PEC DECK Supersetted with dips

1*12 @ 55lbs

1*3 @ BW (dips supersetted)

1*8 @ 55lbs ??? ( Energy is gone now wondering where it went because im actually feeling good mentally)

1*3 @ BW (dips)

1*12 @ 45 (even this sucked)

1*6 @ 45

1*3 @ BW (Dips, forced reps)

SEATED DB OVERHEAD PRESS

1*12 @ 40lbs

1*8 @ 40 I wanted to go to twelve but I couldnt

1*8 @ 35

This seems to be a trouble spot for me. Im doing these once a week and yet I cant seem to make any gains. I might have to put it on another day or something like that because it just isnt working.

DB LATERAL SIDE RAISES

1 *12 @ 15lbs
    1*12 @ 15 lbs
    1*12 @ 15 lbs

time for more weight next time

ABS (ab machine with ropes, apparently Dr Squat invented these? From what ive been told )

1*20 @ 22lbs

1*20 @ 22lbs

1*20 @ 22lbs

End of workout, protein shake on the way out once again.

PAIN, SORENESS : Two hours later I felt a sharp pain on my shoulder just before where the top side of the pec starts. This hurts whenever I touch it, the pain is like having a bruise but the pain is much sharper. Had no problems at work the next day but it concerns me a bit, DOMS perhaps?

DE BRIEF: Had 6 hrs sleep the night before got up at 4am, had to go to Sydney which is 2hrs drive one way, 2hrs back, which stuffed my workout up although I felt good coming into the gym.

MEALS:

breakfast: bowl of Nutri Grain
    2 hard boiled eggs

morning tea: Slice of banana cake

Lunch : roast beef roll with letteuce and bearanaise sauce

Dinner: Serving of rice and 3 baked chicken wings

Drinks: water all day and protein shake after workout
    Last edited by mixta; 01-16-2003 at 04:40 AM.

Homeyield: The workout I had on the 3rd of Jan where I did my back, I usually do my legs on the same day but because the gym was absoulutely packed on Sunday and everyone was on all the leg machines, I decided to to my back as well even though I did it earler in the week when I was pressed for time and didnt have time to do my legs, so really whats been happening is a case of instinctive training, doing what I feel like but all im really doing is overtraining which is really starting to show. Here is what my workout is supposed to
    be:

DAY 1: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps

3*12 Db bench press

3*12 Pec Deck

3*12 DB Overhead Shoulder Press

3*12 Db Lateral side raises

3*12 Tricep bomber

3*20 ABS (Decline bench)

DAY 2

BACK, LEGS, BICEPS

3*12 Standing calf raises

3*12 45 degree leg press

3*12 Standing leg curls or lying leg curls

3*12 DB Rows

3*12 Chins (chin up machine)

3*12 flat bar bicep curls

ABS

3*20 on the fitball (crunches)

DAY 3

LEGS,BACK,BICEPS,CHEST

3*12 Seated calves

3*12 Leg extensions

3 *12 Pec Flyes

3*12 Cable crossovers

3*12 Cable curls

3*12 CG Pulldowns

ABS

3*20 of any choice of ab exercise

Thanks for the input, HY , what changes do u think need to be made?

Looks like a good push/pull/legs split might work better for you if you are feeling overtrained. Training legs with another bodypart is hard enough once a week.

Originally posted by bradley
    Looks like a good push/pull/legs split might work better for you if you are feeling overtrained. Training legs with another bodypart is hard enough once a week.
    I think bradley's got it right. Instead of doing Day 3 as full body just make it your leg day.

Something like this:
    3*12 DB Rows

3*12 Chins (chin up machine)

3*12 flat bar bicep curls

and maybe some deadlifts too and that should be all you need. Substitute BB bentover rows for DB rows every so often.

Day 3 could be:
    3*12 Standing calf raises

3*12 45 degree leg press

3*12 Standing leg curls or lying leg curls
    Just make sure you try to do some squats too. They will help your legs grow like nothing else.

Day 1 looks fine but you might want to cut down to maybe just 2 sets on some of that.

Those are my suggestions. I hope that you can work something into that. Oh and where are those dune pics at man!! I want to see those dunes you get to run on. That would be a nice change from the ice I've seen here for the past week.
    What is elite?

For the time being, I will be known as Mixta123 because I cant find my password and my computer doesnt remember it, I think it might have something to do with the server or something like that because Ive requested my password to be reset and Ive been folowing the links but it doesnt seem to work so Ill just have to wait till it gets sorted.

Oh and where are those dune pics at man!! I want to see those dunes you get to run on. That would be a nice change from the ice I've seen here for the past week.
    HomeYield: Ive put on lay-by a digital camera which I should be getting out pretty soon. People on 4 wheel drives, quads and motorbikes keep asking me if I need a lift when im on the dunes because im always stuffed, lol. Ive also booked a flight on a motorised hang glider next month too so it looks like its gonna be pic flood time very soon! So you have been seeing ice where you are for the past week? How often does that happen? Actually I wouldnt mind seeing a bit as I didnt see the snow last year so it would be a bit of a change to see some.

Sunday 26th Jan Happy Australia day!

Managed to fit in a leg workout today.

Warmup: 5 min workout on the bike

Standing calve raises:

1*12 @ 300 lbs
    1*12 @ 300 lbs
    1*12 @ 280 lbs

Not bad, I wish they would fix the foam that supports the shoulders though, Its like using a forklift to do calf raises, its scratching the hell out of my shoulders, It looks like someone scratched them, I had to convince my girlfriend that it was the machine that did it

45 Degree Leg Press

1*12 @ 400 lbs
    1*12 @ 422 (PR!!!)
    1*12 @ 450 (PR!!!)

One guy congratulated me on it, I thanked him for the compliment, id like to hit 500 in a month or so but im going to start doing squats

Seated Leg Extensions

1*12 @ 100lbs
    1*12 @ 100
    1*12 @ 100
    1*6 @ 130
    Form was ok but could be better, have to take it easier lext time letting the weights down as I nearly cracked the plates

Lying Leg Curls

1*12 @ 25lbs
    1*12 @ 20
    1*12 @ 20

This sucks big time definately needs more work

Deadlifts

Decided to give these a try even though Im supposed to do them on back day but the urge was there .

1*12 @ 45lbs
    1*12 @ 45lbs
    1*12 @ 45lbs

Working on my form with these ones. Might stck with 2 sets of twelve only to keep my form tight as my third set was sloppy.

Abs

2*20 on the decline bench (no weight)

Debrief
    Felt sick after the workout, nearly felt like throwing up, a bit dizzy. Quickly drove home had a protien shake and went to bed for a while. Going to try squats next week.

Meals

Beakfast: Bowl of Coco Pops
    Lunch: Meat Pie and piece of T-Bone steak
    Dinner: Creamy Pasta Salad

Thanks HomeYield and Bradley for the suggestions with the workouts. Leg Day will now be Leg day only And with Back day I will be throwing in deadlifts with a few little changes.

and maybe some deadlifts too and that should be all you need. Substitute BB bentover rows for DB rows every so often.
    The gym I go to has a lever type setup for the rows (substitute for the barbell) with a handles for overhand grip and handles for palms facing each other grip.