The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Moron, new usage for the word in Canada.

I'm sure some of you have heard of the latest outcry about a Canadian communications aide to our Prime Minister making a certain political mistake. And yes, 7 days later, she has been relieved of her duties. Her mistake was calling President Bush a moron. My intention for this thread is not to raise this as an issue of Canadian vs U.S. relations or to debate the handling of the political issue here in Canada. However, I did noticed this article in the Toronto Star on Monday and thought the group would get a laugh at this as our political leaders attempt to down play the issue and they get chastised in the press.

Nov. 25, 2002. 07:05 AM

'Moron' actually Canadian term of respect, eh?
    LINWOOD BARCLAY

To: Foreign Affairs Dept., with copies to all other federal departments doing business with U.S. officials

Re: "moron"

In light of a recent embarrassing event involving the use of the word "moron," the PMO directs all departments, and in particular Foreign Affairs, to conduct an information campaign with officials of the U.S. government about the subtle differences in language usage between our two nations.

Canada and the U.S. have long used different words for the same things. We say "Girl Guides" while Americans say "Girl Scouts." We say "postal code" instead of "zip code." We use some words and phrases with which Americans are not familiar. For example: "baby bonus", "toonie", "loonie", "Gordon Pinsent."

It is imperative, particularly in light of the fact that this government is currently negotiating several delicate trade disputes with the Americans, to make them understand that "moron" in Canada does not necessarily mean the same thing "moron" does in the U.S. In fact, it often means the opposite. (Note: This is along the same lines as when young people say something is "cool", what they really mean is it's "hot", or "neato.")

Canadians often use the word "moron" to describe someone they admire, someone they consider "swift." While this usage may be less well known than some other words in the Canadian lexicon (for example, Bill Casselman has not yet caught on to this, if you can believe it), it is prevalent in some parts of the country (e.g Ajax-Pickering). There may even be members of your department, and other ministries here in Ottawa, who are unaware of this alternate meaning for "moron" but we assure you: This. Is. The. Case.

Our history is rich in instances where the word "moron" has been used to honour great achievement. Remind American officials of the following:

1922: Fred Banting and Charles Best discover insulin. Their colleagues, during a celebration in the medical laboratory, congratulate them, raising their champagne glasses and cheering: "To Fred and Chuck, a real couple of morons!"

1972: Paul Henderson scores the winning goal in the Canada-Soviet hockey series. Across the country, Canadians scream: "Paul, you're our moron!"

1876: In Brantford, Ont., Alexander Graham Bell invents the telephone. In fact, the very first call he received was from a friend, who said: "Nice going, moron!" (Interesting fact to share with Americans: Bell, who had so far only made one phone, asked his caller, "Where, exactly, are you calling from?")

Americans need to know that every year, in addition to such ceremonies as the Geminis and Junos, Canada holds the Morons, where Canadians' oustanding achievements are recognized; that there is a Moron Museum of Civilization; that the Moron Grants Council annually awards $20 million to Canadians aspiring to be morons of distinction.

In dealing with Americans over the next few weeks, casually work the word "moron" into the conversation as often as possible.

Foreign affairs official: Hey, how's things in Washington, moron?

U.S. official: Excuse me?

This will raise a few eyebrows at first, but once our friends south of the border understand this is just part of our friendly banter, that the word is actually a term of respect, they'll begin the process of reassessing the occasions when they've heard us use it in the past.

Before long, U.S. officials will be expecting it. With any luck, by the time the Prime Minister next meets with President George W. Bush.

PM: Good day, Mr. President.

Bush: Good to see you, Mr. Prime Minister. (winks) You moron.

PM: Ha ha. I see you are catching on to our lingo.

Bush: I feel like a real moron today.

PM: You look like one, too!

Please forward a copy of this memo to everyone in your department.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 11-27-2002 at 08:56 PM.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Rofl
    If figureskating was easy they'd call it hockey. me
    If it's important they'll call back. me

The question isn't who is going to let me;
    its who is going to stop me.
    Ayn Rand

And so it begins,
    My eyes wide, yet I see only darkness.
    The world is mine, yet it crumbles with my touch.
    I can touch the stars with my thoughts,
    But the simplest of pleasures denied.
    All things must end they say;
    to end before beginning?
    Tis the sadest loss of all.
    M.P. (poet and author)

"Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and despair, but manifestations of strength and resolution."

Success Nourishes Hope Shankerr's Avatar
    Bush is a moron :-) I'd like to see him remove his finger from the big red button for just a second before he leaves office! :-)
    Let me get this straight...
    You get play from the girl of your dreams
    PR Shoulder Press using the 3 digit dumbells
    Hit up some fun with the guys
    Then get more play
    (all in one afternoon/evening I might add.. S)
    You are a success my friend . Share your secrets. (Crippy)

rookiebldr says:
    As for the weight gain, that too shouldn't be a problem, just tell them your leaning out. Then flex your bi and tell them to ****ing get lost.
    Shane says:
    yeah or throw something at them
    rookiebldr says:
    like a couple of 45's

Senior of Kinesiology
    *lol*

Well Bush is a moran so its all cool!
    Meet PR: 290lb bench press, 505lb dead lift @ 190lbs

Current Training: Yoga and Weightlifting

5'11'', Male, 175lbs, age 22

Totally, dude!
    And you Canadians claim to be nice! Lies! All lies!

Originally posted by DoubleGulp
    And you Canadians claim to be nice! Lies! All lies!
    Hey, how would you feel if your moose pissed on your hockey stick that you hang outside the igloo eh?
    Man, if he do but live within the light of high endeavors, daily spreads abroad his being armed with strength that cannot fail.

--Wordsworth

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    I went to Canada once, the guy at the border called me a moron, so I punched his ass out. They...they wont let me back in for some reason.

Well, it wasnt so much a man who was at the border as a...as a child...and it wasnt really so much the border as a uh...grocery store....

But you get the picture. You judgemental bastards!

And Shankerr, how ignorant of you. I mean **** man, the button isnt really very big at all. Get your facts straight.

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    LOL! I did see that story in the papers...but since Bush IS a moron, I thought it was rather harsh to chastise someone who was only being honest...

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

Banned
    her only problem was that she said it in the presence of a reporter

bone crusher
    well if i was PM i would give her a promotion!

Originally posted by Budiak
    And Shankerr, how ignorant of you. I mean **** man, the button isnt really very big at all. Get your facts straight.
    hehe, well, I guess it could even be like a little toggle switch for that matter. I could see Bush's wife slapping his hand away from The Button like a fat kids mom slaps his hand away from the last smartie on earth.....
    Last edited by Shankerr; 11-28-2002 at 08:31 AM.
    Then get more play

rookiebldr says:
    As for the weight gain, that too shouldn't be a problem, just tell them your leaning out. Then flex your bi and tell them to ****ing get lost.
    Shane says:
    rookiebldr says:
    like a couple of 45's

First Lady:George, dont touch that!

*slaps his hand away

George: Uh oh, Spaghettios!

(muted trumpet)Waaa waaa waaa whaaaaaaaa!
    (canned laughter)
    Last edited by Budiak; 11-28-2002 at 09:18 AM.

><))))))*>
    Ok, you know, like fer sure, we should be be all friends and sit down for some nice back bacon, and beer, eh?
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel." - Homer Simpson

Yeah eh. I's gonna go ooot fishin in my booooat, have a few beers while I'm at it, eh? Then if you boys wanna come over and watch the Hockey Night in Canada on CBC and have a Canadian, I'd love to have ya's eh!!
    Then get more play

rookiebldr says:
    Shane says:
    rookiebldr says:
    like a couple of 45's

Me and paw are gonna go rope us some cows. After that, me and bubba are gonna go hunt indians out on the plains.

But seriously, I dont know how a person of Bush's mental caliber ever became president.

Totally, dude!
    Originally posted by The_Blackstar
    But seriously, I dont know how a person of Bush's mental caliber ever became president.
    Tony's Pizza. Lots and lots of Tony's Pizza.

Oh, you mean a person of above average intelligence instead of a supragenius?

Yeah, I mean, you'd never want me as president, would you? I mean, I jumble words all the time, I must be an idiot! I misspelled something once, and they put me into remedial english for 6 years. God bless them. And that IQ score of 148 of mine(which, btw, makes me a genius, in the top 2%)...damn...I would need at least 212 to be a legitimate president.
    And the fact that I disagree with you on a lot of things only solidifies my idiocy since your political opinions are the sole product of your superhumanly immeasurably intelligence.

How's mental caliber related to intelligence?
    Stats
    5'10,185-190lbs, 12-16%bf

Its minutae. Semantics.

Simplistic
    Originally posted by The_Blackstar

All the people that say this are probably the same people that used to say Reagan was an idiot, a second rate actor, a senile old man, and whatever else they could come up with. Kinda funny how everyone sat around saying Bush is a moron while he took over the governemnt, isn't it? Kinda funny how Reagan left office with a 66% approval rating, isn't it? I never liked Clinton, but you'll never hear me say he was stupid. He was very good at what he did, and I will acknowledge that. Keep underestimating Bush, I'm sure his supporters love it.
    Last edited by Neil; 11-30-2002 at 07:34 AM.

The smartest man alive now, with the highest IQ is Dolph Lundgren, you wouldnt believe that eh? well its true, he is a micro biochemical engineer, and is the highest scoring member of Mensa, just do a search on him.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Simplistic
    The actor?

The smartest man alive now, with the highest IQ is Dolph Lundgren, you wouldnt believe that eh? well its true, he is a micro biochemical engineer, and is the highest scoring member of Mensa, just do a search on him.
    Smartest man alive? Dont know about that, the smartest man alive is probably working in a Rice Field or driving a bus in Chicago.

But Dolph is the bomb.

Trying to figure this out JohnCollins's Avatar
    Neil, you're my hero! Quoting Friedrich Hayek in your sig. . .awesome!

Don't post in these threads. . .the morons will never understand you and you'll just get frustrated.

P.S. I'm using the word "moron" in with it's dictionary meaning now, just so there's no confusion!
    "Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe." --Albert Einstein

Had a good workout on my liver yesterday. Did a pretty high number of reps, but not to complete failure. Liver DOMS today is kinda bad...it has even reached my head! -- ElPietro

"If I ever found a chick who smelled like gun powder and spent cartridges, I'd run to a jewelry store, rob it, and propose to her with a sack of diamonds. " --Budiak

"I dance like a drunken white boy. I'm really screwed since I quit drinking." -- PowerManDL

wow, this thread really took a dump since it was started as a bit of mild fun, didn't it?
    Then get more play

rookiebldr says:
    Shane says:
    rookiebldr says:
    like a couple of 45's