The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Questions I Should Ask When Purchasing A New Car

So what should my list of questions include.

My lease is up on my car. I'm not going to buy it out because it was more then I expected and more then I had saved up. I know nothing about cars and I think that I will be buying a used car to get me through the next couple years until we have saved enough money to purchase a new one.

Chris or anyone who has had experience shopping around, what should I look out for or beware of?
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

*incoming smartass remark*

Has the backseat been shag tested?...we dont' want you getting a concussion maki
    May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

Ask about what sort of journeys they make. eg. A salesman (or something like that) will have a high mileage but most of that will be sitting on the motorway (dunno what you call it in the states), with the engine nicely ticking over, and they'll most likely know how to drive and use the clutch. However, an old granny might have a low mileage because she only makes small trips, but the car could be in a far worse condition because they are driving around town in 1st gear or something.
    If you get the chance to watch them drive, check out their use of the clutch and stuff like that.

Hold on, are automatics the most common type in the states? If so what i just said is probably all irrelevant, but handy for buying a manual!
    "I'm gonna die with a dumbell in my hand." - stpatrick44

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 80kgs (176lbs) | BF%: dunno
    --
    BB Bench 1 x 110kgs (242lbs) | Deadlift: 135kgs (300lbs) x 2 | Current Routine: Bodybuilding

Ever read the handbook lemonaid? Its all about used and new cars. What to look for, etc. Try it out and maybe it'll help with what kind of car you might be looking at.
    If figureskating was easy they'd call it hockey. me
    If it's important they'll call back. me

The question isn't who is going to let me;
    its who is going to stop me.
    Ayn Rand

And so it begins,
    My eyes wide, yet I see only darkness.
    The world is mine, yet it crumbles with my touch.
    I can touch the stars with my thoughts,
    But the simplest of pleasures denied.
    All things must end they say;
    to end before beginning?
    Tis the sadest loss of all.
    M.P. (poet and author)

"Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and despair, but manifestations of strength and resolution."

i recommend this site for anyone buying/selling/leasing new or used cars:

www.carbuyingtips.com
    STATS:
    • 5'9"
    • ~185

The Big 3 (2 sets):
    Flat BB Bench 270
    Deadlift 355 (no belt/straps)
    Squat

I dunno much either, but I recomend buying a used car from a dealership, not some guy.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Senior of Kinesiology
    On the flip side, both me and my best friend bought our cars from private sellers. Niether of us have had any major problems and our cars run great. We saved alot of money over the dealer. My advice is either take a car saavy friend along to check it out, or take it to a mechanic you trust before buying it. Also remember that most prices can be haggled down.
    Meet PR: 290lb bench press, 505lb dead lift @ 190lbs

Current Training: Yoga and Weightlifting

5'11'', Male, 175lbs, age 22

Automatics are moe prevalent in the US. The term is highway miles.

According to the tip I read it best to negotiate the price based on the cars history not it's value?
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Senior of Kinesiology
    Yes, if you can run a carfax. They are free and tell you the full history. Generally cars that have had engine problems or have been in serious accident are not as valuble, and in many cases, as reliable.
    Meet PR: 290lb bench press, 505lb dead lift @ 190lbs

Current Training: Yoga and Weightlifting

5'11'', Male, 175lbs, age 22

Success Nourishes Hope Shankerr's Avatar
    get a CARFAX, it'll show yuo where its been, etc et etc, if its been sold for salvage, in an accident or whatever... also, ask the salesman to give you a contact for the previous owner.. if he doesn't then you know theres something the matter with the car..

watch the mileage, and stick with your guns when you make a fair offer. the last truck I bought, I made an offer, they turned it down, so I got up and left.. there was a message on my machine by the time I got home :-)

also, if you have a mechanic that you really trust, take the car for a "test drive" right over to that mechanic, and have him/her do a quick once over to make sure things are in line
    Let me get this straight...
    You get play from the girl of your dreams
    PR Shoulder Press using the 3 digit dumbells
    Hit up some fun with the guys
    Then get more play
    (all in one afternoon/evening I might add.. S)
    You are a success my friend . Share your secrets. (Crippy)

rookiebldr says:
    As for the weight gain, that too shouldn't be a problem, just tell them your leaning out. Then flex your bi and tell them to ****ing get lost.
    Shane says:
    yeah or throw something at them
    rookiebldr says:
    like a couple of 45's

Ecoli die
    Don't buy a salvage title car. Chances are there is chasis damage or flood damage or something similar that is easy to 'gloss' over but is never fixable.

Carfax is great.

Take it to a mechanic first.

Never offer a private seller more than the wholesale value. A dealer will offer way less than wholesale.

Ask to see the current insurance policy. It should list the drivers on the vehicle. Middle aged drivers are far more likely to take care of their regular maintenance than teenage drivers. If they will show you their premiums, it will give you an idea of what you might expect to pay (and what kind of driver they were...high premiums = risky driver).

Ask for a maintenance record. If they don't have one, ask for any warranty information that they have on replaced parts. If you see more than 2 major repairs in 12 months, walk away unless they make sense to be related.

It costs about $12 to get the oil changed and they will tell you if there is a leak in the oil pan and maybe how bad a condition the oil is in.

Lots more things.
    Now in pain, only working out the walking sticks.

Ohhh the humanity. Ok, first, dealers will not offer you way less than wholesale value. They may try you on for size, but they will give you very close to the wholesale value if you negotiate. I love all of the different car valuation agencies like NADA, Kelly Blue Book, and Edmunds. These can be decent references, but guess what, none of them will cut you a check!

Kelly Blue Book trade in value, if your trade is in good shape, is a generally good reference for what your vehicle's true trade in value is. I said generally because they can be off quite a bit in some circumstances. If your trade is nice, use the "good" condition button on the site. Now, I am not sure how accurate that is in Canada, but it is good here in the states.

To give you all a little insight into what a reputable dealer will do when negotiating trades, when I am working a deal with a customer, I will first appraise the trade. I will then speak to a wholesaler about the value, reference the Black Book (used here in Virginia) value based upon condition and miles, and use a program from Manheim Auto Auctions which tells me what similar vehicles have sold for recently at auction. I will use all of these sources to determine what I would get for the vehicle at auction, or the "wholesale" value. Once I know this figure, which is known as the "actual cash value" (ACV), I will try to give the customer $500, or so, less for the vehicle.

There is a trick in the car business called an "over-allowance" for your trade. This is where the dealer determines the car's value in the above manner, but since he realizes the customer expects much more, he tells them their tade is worth more than the ACV of the vehicle. He is able to do this because he can use profit from the vehicle he is selling you to show more value for your trade. For example, if your trade is determined to have a ACV of $1000, but the dealer knows you expect more, he may tell you he will give you $3000. He can only do this if the price he is asking for his vehicle has more than $2000 of markup, or profit, built in. So, let us say the dealer is asking $12000 for his car, but he owns the vehicle for $8500. He then has $3500 of room to play with. He could tell you your trade is worth $2000 more than its ACV, and still make $1500 as long as he did not come off of his asking price.

The above "trick" is a major headache for dealers. This is due to the fact that people will shop and compare prices on vehicles with varying levels of markup. New vehicles can have rebates, but they can also have "dealer cash", which is a sum of money the manufacturer will give to the dealer once the dealer sells the vehicle. This effectively lowers the dealers cost for a vehicle, so while a customer may be comparing comparably priced vehicles, the same customer may get dramatically different trade in allowances. So, while all dealers use the same auctions, thus trades don't vary much in ACV from dealer to dealer, customers can get qouted dramatically different figures on their trades. Does a higher trade allowance mean you are getting a relatively better deal? Absolutely not!

Dealers always figure the wholesale value of your vehicle because even if they are going to place it on their lot for sale, they may not sell it within 60 days. The vast majority of dealers will not keep a used car on their lot for more than 60 days (on average) because cars continue to depreciate in value. A dealer has to cut his losses at some point. So, when negotiating a trade, a dealer cannot assume he will be able to sell your trade on his lot, no matter how nice it is.

Title check companies like CarFax are a good idea, but they are not foolproof. For example, my Honda manager just traded a 01 VW Jetta. This vehicle had a clean CarFax, and looked very nice. Unfortunately, we later discovered it has frame damage, something which can really alter a vehicles value.

I think your best bet is to buy a vehicle from a reputable dealer, and have a mechanic you really trust inspect the vehicle before you finalize the purchase. Private party transactions leave you with very little recourse, while buying a car from a reputable dealer will protect you in the event the car has unknown major problems.
    Last edited by chris mason; 11-28-2002 at 08:38 AM.

how about,can i have it for free?
    Started Lifting Again!
    Msn Messenger: delveyboy@hotmail.com
    Im always pissed off and have occasional peaceful spells - By MrWebb78
    Nothing says masculin like a dump on the floor - by Intensity