Thread: Too Much Protein

Too Much Protein

Is it possible to get to much protein and what can the effect be. For example I was given a shake, and the person that made it had not idea on what they were doing. After I finish it I found out that there was like 6 scoops of whey and 2 cups of milk with about 5 tbl spoons of flax. Roughly 150 - 200g of protein. Minimal carbs, and ? EFA's

Now I know that the cals were alot. I don't need to know info on that. But would that much whey or protein for that matter hurt. I ate this last night today actually I am feeling a bit more pumped today but don't have alot of energy(this could be becasue I only had 6 hours sleep.) This was also taken about 5hrs after an intense workout and before going to sleep.

Too much?

In the sense of the body using protein for repair, then yes you can have too much, since only X amount will be used for this process.

If we're taking in the sense of energy and calorie requirements, then no, not really. If you need the calories, you can happily get them from protein.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Grasshoppa
    200g protein in one drink? Wow.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Originally posted by Shao-LiN
    200g protein in one drink? Wow.
    I had no Idea that it that much till I downed it. But I must say it did taste good, I mean in the sense of the flavor. I guess total cals I am concerned but I could make that a "cheat meal"

That is the last time I let anyone make me a shake.

who made that drink ? it had to be over 1300 cals. ingesting that many cals that late at night will just lead to fat storage.

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    1 drink of 200g of protein is not going to hurt you. Prolonged use of such shakes may cause undue stress on your kidneys (especially if your already on a higher protien diet).
    w00t