The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member BIGleanDreamz's Avatar

Sets & Reps with relation to Weights

I was curious about my routine in regards to the use of weights I lift and the amount of reps and sets I get out of my training. In particular, I am concerned with my shoulder and tricep routine, which I train on the same day.

Since I am traing for mass, I use heavy weights with low reps and high sets. (8-6 rep. x 4 sets). For example, shoulders I start with military press, then go to dumbell press, next side lateral raises, finally front raises. In this routine I usually start with more weight and eventually work my way down, i.e. from 40 lbs. , 30 lbs., 20 lbs., etc.

My question is if working down in weight is counter-productive? I assume it is natural for the muscle you are training to get weaker (for lack of a better word). I see gains with my routine, but I am unsure if I would get better results if I started with a lighter weight and tried to train at a more consistent weight overall.

Thanks for your replies, sorry if my question still seems unclear.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I think your doing it right. By decreasing the weight your comletely fatigueing the muscle. After wartm up the your first set should be your heaviest. Then drop weight so you can keep lifting. If your sets are heavy enough you should have to decrease weight to be able to do another set. IMO.

Originally posted by Berserker
    I think your doing it right. By decreasing the weight your comletely fatigueing the muscle. After wartm up the your first set should be your heaviest. Then drop weight so you can keep lifting. If your sets are heavy enough you should have to decrease weight to be able to do another set. IMO.
    Would those be considered strip sets??

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    I disagree. Those extra sets are doing nothing but fatiguing the muscle and depleting glycogen, which will hinder hypertrophy. Though I think this is better than starting with the lowest weight, I still think these extra sets are pretty much a waste of time.

Restless what do you mean by extra sets?
    I do more then one set. So my second set is extra?

Stripping I thought is when you change plates as fast as possible and keep going.

Beserker - I usually don't lower weight to get another set in, once I move to the next exercise I go to a lower weight considering my muscle is fatigued from the previous exercise.

Although I have lowered weight to ensure that I can finish a set, I don't use it as a normal part of my routine.

I also don't really understand this method of "stripping", but I think it is realtively similar to the above mentioned technique.

Originally posted by restless

I disagree. Those extra sets are doing nothing but fatiguing the muscle and depleting glycogen, which will hinder hypertrophy. Though I think this is better than starting with the lowest weight, I still think these extra sets are pretty much a waste of time.
    Restless - Could you please help clarify this term "hypertrophy"? I have unsuccessfully researched it and found even more confusing terms. I am unfamiliar with this philosophy in bodybuilding. Thanks.

what I am saying I do is, when I do bent over rows, I do 2 sets 6-8 reps. Second sets is 10lbs lighter. Since if I did the same amount of weight in my second set I would not be able to do 6-8 reps.

If you don't decrease the weight for the second set in my opinion you weren't doing enough weight. Or do you only do one set per exercise?

No, I do 2 sets, but of the same weight 6-8 reps. Lets say when I go from Miliary Press then to Dumbell Press I will use less weight than on the Dumbell Press.
    24 6 ft. 170 lbs.

In my opinion if you can do the second set in the same rep range then your not using enough weight. Though first set 8 and second 6 isn't bad.
    Are you doing 2 sets of militaries and then 2 sets of presses? You would have to use differant weight since 1 is barbell and one dumbell.

Bump for restless. Are you suggesting only one set regardless of what routine your are on or if you are training to failure or not. Please clarify your opinion.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Wannabebig Member
    The eternal question is being asked here ... if after you have warmed up you do one set to absolute failure and I mean achieving a partial rep at the end of the set that you hold and hold till you have to lower it ....

... then what will the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th sets achieve; if the object was to overload the muscle so that it grows to compensate then you achieved that on the 1st set?

Isn' that the theory of HIT?
    I'd rather die on my feet than surrender on my knees.

Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.

The longest journey is the journey inwards.

wait 5-6 minutes between sets

i used to follow the guidelines of a minute and a half rest between sets to reduce the risk of injury and i would have to drop # in each set but have had better results with size and strength gains allowing my muscles to more fully recover before the next set

it's also my opinion that even with a good warmup i dont feel my muscles are performing to their potential until after i get a heavy set in.alot of my workouts i'll go up 5% even after i've done a heavy set(4-6 reps to failure).it's easy enough to find out if this it true with you too.just try it for one workout and give yourself 5-6 minutes to recover after a heavy set and try to increase the weight and keep the reps the same.most people(even the one set crew) would have to agree that if you can increase intensity that it would not be an "extra set"

my set range is on the lower end too but one set is crazy

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Originally posted by BIGleanDreamz

Restless - Could you please help clarify this term "hypertrophy"? I have unsuccessfully researched it and found even more confusing terms. I am unfamiliar with this philosophy in bodybuilding. Thanks.

hypertrophy simply means increasing in size. It is not a philosophy. So if your muscles hypertrophy, it means your muscles have become bigger.

Originally posted by Thor
    wait 5-6 minutes between sets

i used to follow the guidelines of a minute and a half rest between sets to reduce the risk of injury and i would have to drop # in each set but have had better results with size and strength gains allowing my muscles to more fully recover before the next set

it's also my opinion that even with a good warmup i dont feel my muscles are performing to their potential until after i get a heavy set in.alot of my workouts i'll go up 5% even after i've done a heavy set(4-6 reps to failure).it's easy enough to find out if this it true with you too.just try it for one workout and give yourself 5-6 minutes to recover after a heavy set and try to increase the weight and keep the reps the same.most people(even the one set crew) would have to agree that if you can increase intensity that it would not be an "extra set"

my set range is on the lower end too but one set is crazy

There might be some truth to being stronger after a heavy warm up. This week for both my squat and bench I wanted to find my 1 rep max. I added 10lbs to my prevuious 1 reps and then went on did sets and added 10 and lbs on from last week, respectively. I thought I was gonna be weaker after doing a few heavy 1 reps.