Thread: Pains

Wannabebig Member
    For almost as long as I've been training i've been getting sharp pains about a third of the way down my forearm from the wrist. With palms facing towards my face, these pains are on the left side of my forearm. They occur when I am doing bicep work and even when I am spotting someone on the bench press.

Any ideas as to what they are and how I can eliminate them would be appreciated.

Wannabebig Member
    A couple of people have asked the same question here before, but I've yet to hear a satisfactory explanation from anybody. I've had the same problem myself, especially my right arm. A few months ago when I first noticed it, I asked a doctor about it. He checked my arms out and concluded that it was only muscle soreness. I don't think that's it. I don't know how yours is, but mine doesn't feel like muscle soreness at all. For me, muscle soreness is usually a dull ache but not really painful unless you really stretch the muscle. This forearm pain is a lot sharper. I was doing barbell curls when it hurt, so I switched to dumbell curls and the problem went away for awhile. Then a couple weeks ago it happened again while doing dumbell curls. Someone posted on this a few weeks ago (I think it was Insectman) and he said he had the same problem. He got rid of it by dropping preacher curls and taking a couple weeks off from biceps. Well I skipped my bicep/back workout last week in an effort to try and heal, and also iced the area regularly. It feels a little better. In short I don't know what the cause is, or exactly how to fix it, but why don't you try what Insectman did and see how it works for you. If that doesn't work, try a doctor.
    -JungleJim

Wannabebig Member
    I've tried all those remedies. Infact I've taken off two months off from biceps but the pain is the still there. Preacher curls are a big part of my workout and thats where most of the pain occurs. I usually do them with cables. The pain also happens when doing normal dumbbell curls.

In my case it also isn't muscle soreness as the pain is really sharp and it feels like it is in the bone.

I get strange pains in my right elbow when I do a certain movement, and I chock it up to my quirky anatomy. I usually slow down my movements or work a little differently to avoid the pain, which feels like a ligament getting caught.

Now, I make no claims at being a medical doctor, but I work in the medical field with Orthopedic surgeons. I ask about stuff like this from time to time, and I tend to think that what you are describing may be more along the lines of tendinitous. If laying off from working out for a while has not helped, it would be in your best interest to check with a doc further. There is the remote possibility that something else could be at work here, especially if it feels like the bone is involved, though it probably is not. These are almost always soft tissue related pains.

I kinda get a similar pain sometimes... and it's usually on preacher curl. I noticed that when using a straight barbell it's bad sometimes... but when using an ez-curl bar it gets better. I found one bar at my gym that pretty much eliminates the problem for me. I think it's more due to the angle your wrists/hands are at when lifting... when using dumbells and my hands are parallel to the ground I notice it, but when tilted inward or doing hammer curls I don't notice any problem.
    "We cannot but pity the boy who has never fired a gun; he is no more humane, while his education has been sadly neglected."
    -Henry David Thoreau

"For the last ten years, Saddam has been building, stockpiling and hiding weapons all over the ****in desert, while laughing at the UN. As soon as Bush says, 'That's it we're comin in to kick your ass,' and the UN is inches away from supporting him. Saddam turns around and says, 'Um... United Nations.... sure, we'll let the weapons inspectors in.... no terms or conditions.' The United Nations.... being the left-wing, pansy-ass, limp-wristed, liberal bastards they are, turn around and believe him."
    -Col. Foreman, USAF

email: tadger@wannabebig.com
    secure email: tadger@cyber-rights.net

...has lost his saucepan
    I posted the same about 2 weeks ago had exactly the same problem.

Took 1 and half weeks off my biceps and it pretty much solved it.

Dunno what else to say

HelP mY HeaD iS sTucK tO Teh D0oR

oOne in five hundred women have 3 nipples.
    oA cockrach will live 9 days without its head before it starves to death.
    oThe average man spends 27 hours a year having sex.
    oA pigs orgasm lasts for around 30 minuites.

oMy flash - Dancin simpsons | kill grampa | kill barney
    oLinks - Email me | My journal | Gurn.net | Trance.nu

Wannabebig Member
    its too much pressure on the bone. or at least it would seem but I'm no doctor. I get it every now and then I jsut ignore it best as possible, not gonna let anything impede my progress.
    live to lift