The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Need Some Help/Opinions

It's been a while since I last posted, but I wanted to get everyone's views on this.

Well, I'm 5' 11" & weigh 196 pounds. Not sure what my body fat is, but I wear a tight 34" & baggy 36" jean size (if that helps).

During high school when I was about 17 - I bench pressed 315 on a normal basis. I broke my ribs & suffered a few ankle injuries along the way which kept me out of the gym. I tried out for the Powerlifting team at my college & made it not too long ago. When I started lifting with the team my max bench was 270.

After about 3 months of lifting with the team, my bench is now like 255??? My squat & deadlift are going up, but my bench is going down. I weighed 213 when i started, now I'm 196. I can't really tell much of a difference in my muscle size & I actually seem to be getting smaller.

We lift 3 days a week targeting the main 3 lifts each day. Example - Monday, Squat - Wednesday, Bench - Saturday, Deadlift. Our sessions last anywhere from 1.5 - 2 hours. I always thought that was too long. But coach is VERY strong & trained many state champs. In fact, we have a girl on the team now that will break the national squat record of 418.

I eat 6 high protein meals a day, take creatine & protein shakes. My protein intake is at least 1.5 per pound of body weight. I try to get more.

My dad has been gettin on me real hard about getting bigger & stronger, & I know I should be. Plus he says I'm falling behind - which I am. The competition is making me try my hardest, but I just cant seem to get any stronger. Now my leg lifts are starting to slow.

I'm sorry for this long post, everyone, but I'm getting really concernec. I know there are some very experienced guys in these forums & I need y'alls help. What should I do? I was used to hitting my chest 2-3 times a week when I benched 315. Now I'm only doing it once a week? Should I lift more on my own time?

I'm really considering taking anabolics. I'll be 19 in Feb & I haven't grown a cm since age 16. I'm full-grown, so I dont have to worry bout stunted growth.

I would REALLY APPRECIATE any & all help you guys can give me.

A very concerned lifter - J
    Southern Pride !

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Lifting Schedule

Posting how we lift mite help y'all help me out.

Like I said, we train 3 days a week

On pretty much all lifts we do a warm-up set of 8, 2 warm-up sets of 5, 3 work sets of 2-3, 2 max sets of 1. That's pretty regular on the main 3 lifts.

We'll do a variety of other exercises with those 3 lifts & they vary each week. We do a lot of tricep & ab work, but we never target the bisceps. Coach said curls dont help in Powerlifting & put unnecessary strain on the elbow (preacher curls that is).

The "minor" exercises tend to be 3 sets of 8. That includes rows, tricep extensions, leg curls, lat pull-downs, etc.

When I first started, I threw-up on a regular basis, now it only happens on a rare occassion. I have a lot of pressure on my shoulders to do better, & I dont want to let everyone down. Lifting weights seemed to be a whole lot more fun when I lifted with my friends in high school as a hobby.

Any suggestions or ideas?
    Last edited by Big J; 12-01-2002 at 10:11 PM.
    Southern Pride !

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    How long did your sessions last when you were lifting for fun in high school? You say you worked chest 2-3 times a week, but how long (approx) were these sessions? Seems like you are overtraining. Just because this program may have worked for your coach and others like him, does not mean it works for everyone. There is no one size fits all program. Anyway if you give us an idea of your previous routine so that we could compare it to the one you are doing now, that would be helpful.

Wannabebig Member
    Sounds like too much pressure for me. Remember that stress increases cortisol levels, which is catabolic. May be working against you.

A Fortnight Dead
    Check out Westside.

Best powerlifting program, IMO.
    "human kind/
    Cannot bear very much reality/
    Time past and time future/
    What might have been and what has been / Point to one end, which is always present."

-T.S. Eliot. "Four Quartets."

"Redistribution [of wealth] is in effect far less a redistribution of free income from the richer to the poorer, as we [had] imagined, than a redistribution of power from the individual to the State."
    -Jouvenal

Fear me, I am the bandersnatch.
    -Paul Stagg

During High School I lifted anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour. A did a warm-up set of 10, 3 work sets of 6, & 1 max set of 2 on my bench.

I lifted Monday-Friday doing different lifts on different days. Here's what a pretty average week looked like:

--Monday & Thursday --
    Bench Press
    Pec Flies
    Dips
    E-Z-Bar Curls
    Isolation Dumbell Curls
    --Tuesday & Friday--
    Shrugs
    Military Press
    Tricep Extensions
    Lat Pull-Downs
    Wide-Grip Pull-Ups
    --Wednesday--
    Deadlift
    Leg Press
    Calve Raises
    Leg Curls
    Leg Extensions

I tried to stick to that routine, but sometimes I changed it up. That was pretty much it though. Some weeks when I was pressed for time, I would Bench Press M-W-F & do leg work T-T. I know I should have been doing sqauts & that was my downfall, but I rarely squated.

Mabe I'm overtraining? That actually never crossed my mind. I'm built stocky (though I'm sure that doesn't mean much) & just never really thought I was doing too much - usually i thought not enough. But what if I am overtraing - should I talk to coach? I don't think he'll take to nicely to me (just on the team) telling him (competes in the minor Strong-Man events on TV) that he's telling me wrong.

Hopefully that will give everyone more detail. Thanks very much for the replies! Any more ideas would be much appreciated.
    J
    Southern Pride !

Hmmmm.....there's all kinds of things it could be.

My first suggestion is to look at your diet. I know you said you eat six high-protein meals.....but high protein can only do so much if you aren't getting the total calories you need. If you're dropping weight, you're not getting them.

Second of all.....that program doesn't look bad, per se, but I've seen a lot better ways to do things. Firstly, you're working up to a max every session. Secondly, you're only pressing once a week. Thirdly, you're not keeping enough emphasis on your weak points.

Missing a lift doesn't just "happen." It happens at a certain point in the lift, and because something was weak. Check your form. Make sure you're lifting it like a powerlifter.

- v - was on to something with the Westside routine. Even if you don't do it verbatim, there's still a LOT of lessons to be taken from it. Main thing that's been helping my bench lately are heavy rack presses and plenty of triceps work. Same applies to the squat and deadlift-- gotta work on those hammies.

Throw in some speed work; I'm not sure its necessary every week, but its certainly useful. Also don't feel that you've *got* to use the 3x8 formula for assistance work. Do 5's. Do 3's. Do 4 sets. Do 2 sets. Just make sure that you're working your ass off, whatever you do.

Bicep work, while not a necessity for any of the powerlifts, is useful to balance out your pressing strength. A few sets of hammer curls should be sufficient for your needs.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Sounds like overtraining. You are spending twice as long on the training sessions now, than you did in high school. Also you are now doing more sets. Moreover you are losing weight and your bench is falling. However that is only educated guesswork. Powerman is right about the calories. Try to get more in. As for Westside, it could help...but I doubt the coach would take kindly to you using a different training method. As far as training goes, it depends how open-minded the coach is, and how willing he is to let you use different training methods.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Originally posted by PowerManDL
    Hmmmm.....there's all kinds of things it could be.

. Secondly, you're only pressing once a week. .
    And this is bad? Not challenging you, but I only press once a week, and I've seen very good results from that. Secondly IF he is overtraining (and I admit that's a big if) more pressing is not going to help, is it? Granted I'm not a powerlifter, and I could be wrong, but wouldn't one want maximum rest in between his lifts?

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Westside has you pressing twice a week.

For strength development, more work with less fatigue is a better approach.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

More Detail

Well we lifted again last night & I'll tell y'all pretty much exactly what we did.

Squat --
    Warmup of 8 then 5
    5 work sets of 4 reps going AS FAR DOWN AS POSSIBLE (man the 5th set killed me!) Had to touch a stool that was literally like 5-6" from the ground .

Flat Dumbell Press --
    1 set until failure with the 70s (I got 20 reps)

Leg Curls --
    2 sets of 12

Incline Dumbell Press --
    1 set until failure with the 60s (I got 23 reps)

Weighted StepUps --
    2 sets of 8 on each leg (so really 4 sets)

Standing GoodMornings with BIG rubber bands
    3 sets of 15

Then we had to do push-ups with our feet on the same stool. 2 sets of 15.

I neglected to tell everyone 10 minutes of strectching before & after (so that subtracts 20 minutes of actual lifting) The practice lasted 1 hour, 50 minutes - so we lifted for 1.5 hours.

And then I did 2 sets of 8 of shrugs because I need(want) bigger traps - didn't actually have to.

I might be forgetting 1 or 2 exercises, but that was the majority of the session. I felt good (specially after i ate) & my squat has increased some more. I didn't Bench so can't tell anything there... That wasn't our normal routine, but he told us he's changing things up. The main reason we did upper & lower is because we're gonna have a weak practice Wednesday (finals) & it'll only last bout 30 minutes.

Thanks again for all the help guys. I'm gonna stick with his routine. My legs are gettin a whole lot bigger & stronger. Just my Bench is going down. Aout the calories - that might be the problem. I cut the carbs down to a BARE minumum with little fat. I would dare say my diet is 60-65% protein. I'm trying to lose weight to get to a lower weight class. 40 minutes of cardio 2-3 times weekly. I think I'm gonna stop trying to lose weight & concentrate on strength & size.

That stress things mite be an issue, too. A friend told me it plays a big part. I have finals coming up, the competition, family's on my back, workin, & things aint been so great w/ my girlfriend..... Things are startin to ease up & I could tell it at this last session. Maybe it's all in my head?

Thanks, once again, for all the replies. They're much appreciated.
    J
    Last edited by Big J; 12-03-2002 at 03:33 PM.
    Southern Pride !