The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: My meal plan

Wannabebig Member

My meal plan

I'm trying to gain lean mass, and was looking for some feedback/opinions on my diet. I'm approximately 5'9", 135 pounds. I'm aiming for a 40p/40c/20f breakdown.

Meal 1:
    74g Oats
    1 tsp. Peanut butter
    18 Tbsp. egg whites
    461 Cals.-40g Protein-43g Carb-8g Fat

Meal 2:
    2 slices Whole wheat bread
    1 Tbsp. Peanut butter
    228g (1 cup) 1% Cottage cheese
    4 oz. Strawberries
    472 Cals.-43g Protein-43g Carb-13g Fat

Lift

Meal 3:
    2 scoops Whey protein
    8 fl oz. Grapejuice (usually it's 40g Dextrose)
    420 Cals.-40g Protein-46g Carb-5g Fat

Meal 4:
    6 oz. Top round steak
    1 cup brown rice
    425 Cals.-43g Protein-43g Carb-8g Fat

Meal 5:
    228g Cottage cheese
    3 Tbsp. Egg whites
    1 apple
    2 tsp. Flaxseed oil
    373 Cals.-37g Protein-27g Carb-11g Fat

Total:
    2151 Cals.-203g Protein(42%)-201g Carb(37%)-46g Fat(21%)

Diet constantly stays the same throughout the week, although some days meal 2 is replaced with a Pro MR mrp with fruit for convenience if I'm on the go. On off days, the post-workout shake is replaced with a 7 oz. chicken breast with 1 cup of brown rice. I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions if you think anything needs change.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Looks pretty good to me, but if you can fit in one more whole food meal it might make it a little easier to gain. JMHO. Good luck!
    Check out my Training Journal HERE

105kg Open IPF Classic Provincial record holder in the squat, bench, deadlift, and total.

Wannabebig Member
    Personally I would avoid the whole wheat bread. Whole grain is better, but not much. Still nothing more than a big ol slice of sugar.

I agree with workhorse. I would throw in another meal, immediately before bed maybe, to get in some more kcals since you are trying to gain weight. I would go for approx 1 lb. a week, so adjust accordingly. All in all looks good to me.

Wannabebig Member
    Appreciate all the feedback. Meal 5 is actually about 90 minutes before I go to sleep, so I think that counts as a "pre-bed" meal.

epimetheus, "Wheat" is a type of grain. The fact that it's "Whole wheat" makes it a whole grain. If i'm mistaken, someone can correct me.

Thanks again for the responses.
    Last edited by Solido; 12-03-2002 at 09:02 PM.

Banned
    You should actually eat right before bed, especially if you want to start gaining mass. You don't get anything in you for the hours that you sleep, so you want to limit this to the shortest time possible.

Back at it
    IMHO it's best not to count protein from sources other than eggs, meat, and suppliments (mainly whey). The protein from plants doesn't have the purity and digestibility that the aformentioned does, but somebody more knowledgable on the issue might want to step in.

When I count protein I only count the egg, meat, whey, and milk sources. For example, I wouldn't count any of the protein from meal 2 other than the cottage cheese which would equate to about 28 g as opposed to 43.

Any comments on my words from anybody?

EDIT: Also, ~2,100 seems a little low for traditional bulking standards. What is your size/weight/bodyfat %? (12 x bodyweight) seems to be a common equation to find calories required for maitenance (a rough estimate... metabolism must also be taken into consdieration), and factor in at least 500 additional calories if you're trying to bulk. I weigh 175 with 10% bodyfat and I try to eat around 3,500-4,000 calories.

Maybe try this diet out for a while and keep tabs on your bf% and weight. If you're not gaining bump up the calories and vise-versa.
    Last edited by GIS; 12-03-2002 at 11:07 PM.

Banned
    agreed

unless you are combining incomplete proteins (example..grains and nuts) in the same meal do not count the protein.

Wannabebig Member
    GIS, My weight/height is in my first post in this thread. In meal 2, counting the protein from the cottage cheese alone would come out to 32, as the one I eat is 16g Protein per half cup serving. The reason I count the protein from the bread and peanut butter is for the same reason LAM stated, combining incomplete protein sources makes them complete (i.e. rice and beans). In my case it would be the wheat from the bread, and the protein from the nut butter.

Should I still up the protein in that meal in the form of either more cottage cheese, or other complete protein sources?

Appreciate the feedback.

Back at it
    Oops! My browswer window had the far-right text cut off so I didn't see your height/weight.

As I've stated I'm no expert on the topic, but once I started discounting incomplete sources of protein and got my 200+ g a day strictly from dairy/whey/meat I started to really bulk up. Just my own personal experience.

Meal 2 looks fine IMO, but I would still eat something before bed.