Thread: NLP - I am interested...

Yesterday I went on a course with my father..

For the last 2-3 years my Dad has been extremely interested in NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming )..

As I am not that knowledagble now I am not totally sure of its meaning. I know it invloves using nlp techiniques to get more out of life. Its kind of psychology, learning about how people are and how to use your mind to get futher in lfe..

This has developed hugely for him and he is now a registered Hypnotist and NLP Practioneer...

He is always trying to push it on me as he has made so many changes in both his business and personal life but I have always been too busy or kinda thought it was a bit mumbo jumbo lol.

Anyway the current course my dad was on invlolved him taking a guest to the last weekend.. So it was me..

Each guest paired with 2 practioneers. One on the am and one in the pm.. I had to think of some issues in my lfe I wanted to deal with..

I centred both mine around my nervousness when talking to certain people in higher authority than me,..

This was going to help me both at work and in my new business venture which will invlove me going to see managing Directors of companies and trying to persuade them to buy my services

I found the one to ones really helpfull and even though I only got a gimplse of how they used nlp in everyday experiences it made me want to learn..

At the end 10 course attnedees did a presentation on how they used nlp in their lifes.. Seriously this **** was AMAZING...

One guy started his own business raising 1 and a hlf million pounds.. He used nlp techniqies in ALL of his meetings when trying to persuade investores and banks..

Others starting up small businesses and used nlp with ALL their clients..

Loads use NLP in their peronal lifes to completely change their family/frie lifes for the better..

I know I am going to spend a lot of time looking into this and I think I am going to go on the course too...

My dad has LOADS of books and is becoming very knowledgable in the field so i got a good start.,.

Wish me luck and look into it for yourselves...

ace, now you can pay for me to go to uni.

Good luck!
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

That sounds cool Hulk. Good luck with it mate. Any chance you could set me up with some information on this stuff?

"Success is never behind you, it is always, always in front of you."

Bespoke Super Mod
    That sounds cool dannoe, good luck

Can you reccomend any books or websites?
    "A + B + C = Success if, A = Hard Work, B = Hard Play, C = Keeping your mouth shut" -Albert
    Einstein

I've always gone to the gym with the conviction that I'll be the hardest working mother****er in the joint. Make that your credo, and hope we don't lift at the same place.
    -- Adam Fahy

"Fran is a double-hard bastard"- Clint Brewer 31/12/02

NLP

The NLP techniques are more along the lines of modeling human excellence, and how to use your brain to apply the same priciples as successful people use to get ahead, as far as sciencetology goes i dont know to much about it but it sounds more like a cult to me (a big business maybe)
    The programming part has more to do with a set of mental activities firstly there is no external interaction involved if you dont want it is a more of a combination and refined version of a number of self help disciplines that are floating about, it's revoluntionary.
    What you can learn:
    * The study of human excellence
    * The ability to be at your best more often
    * A powerful and practical approach to personal change ( and very easy to pick up as well)
    It also deals with mental states and attitudes
    Last edited by Wizard; 07-08-2001 at 07:20 AM.

ohhh nooo.....

hulk, don't ever talk to me....*lol*

actually, i don't know much about NLP, but if it works for ya, have at it...it worked for John Travolta, and Nicole Kidman apparently....

i personally come from the school of thought that hides L. Ron Hubbard books in bookstores, so regular people don't come across them, and god forbid, pick them up.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

I have never really bought into things like that, at least from the perspective as I see them as a crutch for the weak. Now, when I really think about it, I suppose my abhorrence for such things is really what they are talking about. The reason I feel that way is because I have a healthy ego and a certain feeling of superiority. These things are really just positive thinking about myself, and programs like you are describing just teach people how to do it. So, I think programs like that can really be very helpful to people who never "learned" how to feel really good or positive about themselves during their upbringing. I also think these sort of programs can help even people with strong egos get "back to the basics" so to speak.

I think more than using it to help people with problems its more about getting the MOST out of you and the most out of life..

I mean you may be confident and positive in life but are you really dealing with people as effecitively as you can?

Even if you are confident AND positive NLP can only make you acheive more and more from what I have heard and seen..

Well, I will be researching this area a lot further so I will let you know more as I am more experienced in it..

I donlt wanna preach it as I have nothing to back it up personally apart from my fathers success and all the other attendees of the course.

hey hulk?

question....can your Dad be hypnotized?

Yes of course...

He has been many a times in the various courses and training events he has attended..

by the way people think that because you are hypnotised you are not in control..

Thats not really correct..

Whilst in a state of hypnotysm you can come out if you want.. Its just that the feeling is not a bad one and obviously people WANT to be hypnotised or they would not be doing it...

My dad often said the feeling is very simular to that feeling when you just wake up, although you are not awake you are not asleep either..
    Last edited by Joe Black; 07-08-2001 at 11:48 AM.

okay....no the reason i was curious, was because most hypnotists I know can't usually be hypnotized themselves..This one neighbor of mine when I was growing up, fascinating man, by the way, believed that the 5% of the population who can't be hypnotized should become hypnotists, in case there was ever som evil mass mind control of the population, these people who weren't affected could help the rest of the world be de-programmed. he also suggested i become a hypnotists because i couldn't be hypnotized. But that was when I was 16....i think it might be different now, because I'm willing to be way more open then before...of course that has it's downside too....

anyways, i understand what you are talking about...i think it's kind of cool, and if it works for you, more power to you.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Haha. Tina's dirty old pedophile neighbor used to try and hypnotize her when she was 16. ewwwwww.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

eeew! latty!

that was uncalled for....and No he did not. tuttut

Originally posted by Tryska
    ....and No he did not. tuttut
    that's because he didn't succeed in hypnotizing you
    then he had to make up a bull**** story about if the world was suddently brainwashed... lol

btw, I was told that everybody could by hypnotized... it's just that some are harder to hypnotize than others
    "Damn, I'm looking good" -Duke Nukem
    "I look cool dude" -Pig From the Sky

I tried to be hypnotized by the hypnotic comedian with a buddy of mine one night, but I didn't go under. I really tried. I think I am too high strung.

chris, same for me...
    "Damn, I'm looking good" -Duke Nukem
    "I look cool dude" -Pig From the Sky