Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: tricep exercises

FREAK IN THA' MAKING!!! duque21's Avatar
    Well we stand on the same ground then.

But I as for your definition of a french press..I see everything, but the "laying down" part?

I was simply placing a definition out there.

What the actual definitiOn is does not matter to me.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

I thought a French press was a skullcrusher done while in a sitting position. The motion would be above the head, instead of in front of the face.
    Last edited by Delphi; 12-06-2002 at 10:44 PM.

I use to do traditional skulls (lowering to forehead) but found I could use more weight doing it this way, seemed to REALLY hit my tri's very hard easier on the elbows to.
    http://www.exrx.net/AnimatedEx/Trice...TricepsExt.gif

My favorites lately have been skulls (barbell and dumbell), Tate presses, and especially close-grip benching.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Originally posted by Rygar
    I use to do traditional skulls (lowering to forehead) but found I could use more weight doing it this way, seemed to REALLY hit my tri's very hard easier on the elbows to.
    http://www.exrx.net/AnimatedEx/Trice...TricepsExt.gif
    It may be easier on the elbows, but from what I saw it like more like a lat pull over to me. I see how its going to work the tri's. I would think there would be efficious ways to work the tri's though...but like they say "different strokes, for different folks".

power whats a "tate press" ?

My fave tricep exercises are:

Seated Barbell Triceps extension aka "Tricep Bomber"

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/.../BBTriExt.html

although instead of a barbell I use a (I dont know the name of it but Ill try and describe it as best as I can) squarish shaped object
    where the hands are placed with weights on both sides with clamps put on either ends to stop the weights from falling off. They do a terrible job at that as the weights have come off on one occasion, here is a rough diagram of one: --[II]--

My other one that I have been doing lately is the Cable bent over triceps extension

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...verTriExt.html

supersetting with dips in between because im not too sure about whether this exercise improves my grip more than my tris but Im only doing them for something different at the moment but I think Ill end up substituting it for close grip bench press.

Originally posted by duque21
    power whats a "tate press" ?
    Also known as an elbows-out extension:

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

I agree with Dubue on the video for lying tri ext, to much shoulder movement. I always though skulls were pretty much lying tris ext except you brought to your forehead, hence the name.
    As far as kickbacks I only have up to 45lb db, so I've never gotten to go heavy with them, but that weight my form is fine. Which is claim to why there no good. I've used to them after a heavy exercises to finnish off my tris.
    As far as stress on the elbow I do fell it in when I do lying tri exts, any better postion? Less stress?

Success Nourishes Hope Shankerr's Avatar
    I do skull crushers supersetted with close grip bench (3 sets) and push downs (4 sets) thats about all, and it works really well for me!
    Let me get this straight...
    You get play from the girl of your dreams
    PR Shoulder Press using the 3 digit dumbells
    Hit up some fun with the guys
    Then get more play
    (all in one afternoon/evening I might add.. S)
    You are a success my friend . Share your secrets. (Crippy)

rookiebldr says:
    As for the weight gain, that too shouldn't be a problem, just tell them your leaning out. Then flex your bi and tell them to ****ing get lost.
    Shane says:
    yeah or throw something at them
    rookiebldr says:
    like a couple of 45's

Originally posted by Berserker

As far as stress on the elbow I do fell it in when I do lying tri exts, any better postion? Less stress?

In general I get less elbow soreness if I don't bend my elbows to less than a 90 degree angle on any exercise that works the triceps, dips included.

I'll have to try the 90. I am pretty sure I've been going below 90. Do you do skulls or lying ext? I was doing them with my head off the bench, but I was starting o have trouble keeping my butt on the bench. I don't think it was form just leverage. I been doing them now head on bench coming down beyond head.

As far as dips I stayed away for year, I think they bother my shoulder. I have been doing them for a weeks now, just 1 set though. I tend to get soreness in my shoulders. Especially in the deep part of a bench. I am taking alot more rest then I used to and seems to be better. Off topic.

That Tate Press almost looks like a KB in disguise.

Berserker, I don't do skulls anymore- just dips, bench presses, OH presses, and an occasional triceps pressdown with a lat bar. Once my ulnar nerve got irritated it took three months to go away. I understand what you're saying about dips and shoulders. Going down only until your upper arms are parallel to the ground should help protect your shoulders. Plus, that position is 90 degrees for the elbows, which will hopefully help them out, too.

Powerman, whats your opinion on the Tate presses? Can it be preformed on flat bench as well?

That's actually how I do them, on the flat bench. And I absolutely love them-- they're one of my staple tricep movements.

Is that not hard on your wrists? I could do much more weight on close grips if my wrists didn't hurt so bad.

Bail Enforcement Agent kathnmarc's Avatar
    I'm with duque, kickbacks are not for females....especially when you're using 65lbs to execute them.
    Height: 5' - 10"
    Weight: 220 lbs
    Chest: 49"
    Waist: 35"
    Quads: 27.5"
    Bi/Tri: 18"

Bench: 305 x 1
    Barbell Curl: 160 x 1

Originally posted by kathnmarc
    I'm with duque, kickbacks are not for females....especially when you're using 65lbs to execute them.
    If you are using 65 lbs, unless you are a monster, you are probably doing them incorrectly anyway. 65 lbs would be quite difficult for ones rear delt to hold for enough time to do a set with.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Its not a matter of how much weight you can use. To me, there's more efficient ways of doing things than kickbacks.

When I have skullcrushers, JM presses, close-grip benches, dumbell extensions, Tate presses, and tricep pushdowns to choose from, why would I even *bother* with a kickback, which is an inferior exercise to all those listed?

I fell in love w/ skullcrushers ever since I started doing them. Standing Dumbell French Press is another one I like
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

I think 65lb kb with good form is not far off. I quit doing them cause I only had up to 45lb db, my form was good. I am not a big guy either so I wouldn't think 65lb for someone bigger and more advance is impossible. As far as effectiveness I am not really sure. Whats the difference in the tate press? Dumbell in hand extend out. Probably easier to shoulders in position. I've never done the tate press either. You I am speaking from my bowels. I do agree eventually you are going to outgrow a the kb. But I just don't seeing it being as bad as everyone says.

I guarantee that if I walked into the gym tomorrow I'd have no problem doing kickbacks with a 70 lber.

Compared to other tricep exercises its just not that effective.

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by PowerManDL
    Its not a matter of how much weight you can use. To me, there's more efficient ways of doing things than kickbacks.

When I have skullcrushers, JM presses, close-grip benches, dumbell extensions, Tate presses, and tricep pushdowns to choose from, why would I even *bother* with a kickback, which is an inferior exercise to all those listed?
    I totally have to disagree with you. I do see how one may chose another movement over kick back..like french press or a push down.

But how canyou say that some of the things that you listed are mopre effecient that a kick back ..ie "close grips"?

I think inferior is a bad choiceof wording here.

AndI truley doubt you could perform a kick back with a 70lb DB....who are you trying to kid? If you could, then you one of the strongest pound people in the coutry.(I assume you meant a set)