The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

"Time to play the game" TheGame's Avatar

tricep exercises

Can anyone give me some good tricep exercises I am new to lifing and need to add some good ones to the routine.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Barbell Close Grip Bench Press
    Barbell Lying Triceps Extension
    These are the two I'm using. I superset the extensions with bench press. (I use an easy curl bar on the extensions, so my hand placement is close)
    Last edited by Rygar; 12-06-2002 at 03:49 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Close grip bench presses, skull-crushers, overhead dumbell/barbell extensions, cable pushdowns, dips, kickbacks

Mind Over Matter Monster Muscle's Avatar
    SKULLS
    "If you have a 10-horsepower motor and you subject it to a 12-horsepower load, it will burn out. But when you have a human body that is the equivalent of a 10-horsepower motor and you subject it to a 12-horsepower load, it eventually becomes a 12-horsepower motor."
    -Dr. L.G.

Mind Over Matter Monster Muscle's Avatar
    "If you have a 10-horsepower motor and you subject it to a 12-horsepower load, it will burn out. But when you have a human body that is the equivalent of a 10-horsepower motor and you subject it to a 12-horsepower load, it eventually becomes a 12-horsepower motor."
    -Dr. L.G.

Reverse Grip Tricep Cable Extensions (the single arm jammy jams)..
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 170lbs

Lifts-
    Squat: 315x5
    Bench: 245x4
    Chins: BW + 45x7
    Dips: BW + 90x6
    Row:135x7

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by daddyb
    Close grip bench presses, skull-crushers, overhead dumbell/barbell extensions, cable pushdowns, dips, kickbacks
    :withstupi

Banned
    The top 3 imo in no particular order are dips, overhead dumbbell extensions, and Smith Machine close-grip bench.

Why smith machine close grips? I've never used a smith machine, so just curious?

This is my 300th post :alcoholic
    Never thought I'de make it!

never inserted chesse before either!
    Last edited by Berserker; 12-06-2002 at 05:37 PM.

Banned
    I feel that I can focus more on lifting with the tri's when I use the Smith Machine, instead of worrying about balancing the weight when I use a barbell.

Vido-I kind of figured that. I just wanted to post my 300th.

I'm curious, how much difference in weight is there between your Close grip bb for your tri's verses Flat bb bench press for your chest.
    Last edited by Rygar; 12-06-2002 at 06:14 PM.

Banned
    When I was doing them both at the same time there was actually not much difference (30 lbs less with close grip), but that's because my bench press is pathetic.

30lbs for me. Just shows that how much you use your tris in benching.

FREAK IN THA' MAKING!!! duque21's Avatar
    Why hasn't any one mentioned "french press" ?

In my opinion you better off working the tricep by using isolation movements.

Banned
    Because French Press = Skullcrushers (which have been mentioned)

The difference is only fifteen for myself. Either I have a weak bench or good tri's

Originally posted by Vido
    Because French Press = Skullcrushers (which have been mentioned)
    LOL..you are misinformed my friend...a skull crusher is a skull crusher, and a french press is a french press.

A french press, is when you extend a DB upwards behind your head, with your elbows tucked in close to your ears.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    Originally posted by daddyb

I clicked on this thread, grabbed my famethrower, and just searched the page for the word 'kickbacks'

Skulls, Dips, overhead extensions, those'll do ya good.

What are wrong with kick backs?

I guess they're reserved for the female population?
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

See...and you wonder why I talk so much trash. Who is being uncivil now?

I would like to see you say that to some one who is much bigger than your self, and implements them into their routine.

So, you never really answered the question, what is wrong with them?

Come again Duque. It was not meant to be a derogatory comment.

I was simply saying that most people feel it is an exercise best reserved for women. Personally I feel kick backs are fine as do many larger fellows I train with.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Skull Crusher Slang for lying triceps extension movement where the weight bar is raised and lowered towards the forehead.

French Press Exercise to stress the triceps while lying, sitting, or standing using a barbell, E-Z bar, dumbbell, or cable machine.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    I was just kidding

ok, now what's wrong with skulls, is that there's so many other exercises that are better for your tris. It's not that they're TERRIBLE, there's just much better to be doing