Thread: Bulk foods for 4000 cals

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Bulk foods for 4000 cals

I am finding it hard to bulk. Although I am making gains, almost 2 -5lb a week. I am also making fat gains. Possibly, due to my diet.

The problem is. The chicken breasts I get, have about 20g of fat per serving. Protein is around 25g. On average, each meal I eat has about 15g of fat - summing up to 100g per day.

It's also very expensive to eat like that. Can anyone recommend bulk food items, that will be lighter on my wallet and minimise my fat gains.

I eat every 2 hours; waking up at 8 am in the morning. I have no qualms about junk food... yet!

what chicken has 20 grams of fat per serving ? it should be around 3-4.

if 4K cals is promoting a lot of fat gain it's obvious that your caloric intake is way to high and/or the foods you have choosen to eat are not the best.

what where your cals at before the bulk ? what are your macros ?

Wannabebigger Member seance69ca's Avatar
    what do you mean "the chicken breasts I get have about 20 g of fat per serving"? If you want less fat (and I think you do even if you're trying to gain), choose leaner cuts of meat. Remove the skin, limit eating dark meat, and don't add too much oil to the cooking.
    Circumcision builds character. If you can survive getting the end of your dick cut off, you can survive anything. -- Dan Savage

Stats
    Height: 5'7" l Weight: 170lbs l BF 12% l Shoulders: 50" l Chest: 42" l Biceps: 14.75" l Waist: 33" l Glutes: 39" l Thighs: 25 l Calves: 16.25"

Why not buy a lot of boneless, skinless chicken breasts? That's cheap enough, and there's not that much fat in them at all. And you're generally looking at 7 grams of protein per ounce.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

FREAK IN THA' MAKING!!! duque21's Avatar
    Although I am making gains, almost 2 -5lb a week. I am also making fat gains
    I am not here to bust your balls, but I can see two pounds per week...and thats a hard task. But if your going up 5 lbs a week some times I would have to assume that is mostly fat. I would definatly cut the calories way back.

Wannabebig Member
    They are the processed versions, coated with bread crumbs and what not. I do not buy fresh meat directly. I get the processed versions.

Anyway chicken is ok. But what other foods should I be eating. My cal intake is all over the place really, sometimes its 2000, sometimes 3000.

Originally posted by AJ22
    They are the processed versions, coated with bread crumbs and what not. I do not buy fresh meat directly. I get the processed versions.
    Bad, bad, bad. That stuff can hardly even be called chicken. Like BCC said, get boneless skinless breasts.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Wannabebigger Member seance69ca's Avatar
    processed breaded chicken is too high in saturated fat and I would not personally eat that regularly.

i find keeping a eating diary handy to get a handle on my calories -- calorie counts all over the place would be one reason I'd start keeping a food log

if you really must eat processed chicken ( ) you may need to be extra vigilent with controling fat intake from other lean cuts of meat (turkey, flank or inside round steak) and balancing out that high cholesterol with some "good" fats from fish (tuna, salmon). Low-fat dairy products (skim milk, 1 % cottage cheese) and whey protein powders will round out your protein intake.

starchy carbs: baked potatoes, yams, brown rice, whole-grain breads and pasta
    veggie carbs: lots of fresh green veggies
    Circumcision builds character. If you can survive getting the end of your dick cut off, you can survive anything. -- Dan Savage

Stats
    Height: 5'7" l Weight: 170lbs l BF 12% l Shoulders: 50" l Chest: 42" l Biceps: 14.75" l Waist: 33" l Glutes: 39" l Thighs: 25 l Calves: 16.25"

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Originally posted by seance69ca
    processed breaded chicken is too high in saturated fat and I would not personally eat that regularly.

if you really must eat processed chicken ( ) you may need to be extra vigilent with controling fat intake from other lean cuts of meat (turkey, flank or inside round steak) and balancing out that high cholesterol with some "good" fats from fish (tuna, salmon).

I'm yet to see evidence that a diet moderately high in saturated fats, low in trans fats and hidrogenated ones and high in omega 3 raises cholesterol.

Stay away from processed meats (and foods in general), but don't worry about fat if you're bulking, get at least 30% of your calories from fat, and around 1/3 or more from saturated. Less than that and you'll lower your male hormones.

If you won't/can't buy fresh poultry I would at least switch to maybe canned chicken, beef, dairy products, or at least something that is a little more balanced in terms of macronutrient profile. It also sounds like you need to cut your cals back as the other post mentioned. Anything over 1 pound a week and I would be skeptical as too how much LBM you are gaining.

You might as well eat ground chuck as opposed to your chicken. Might even be better. I get 2.5 lbs of skinless chicken breast for $5. Five lbs a week???

saturated fats lower insulin sensitivity...

Well like most in this thread have said...seems like 4000kcals a day might be a bit too much for you. I don't think the foods your currently eating are helping you much at all either.
    To answer your question though, some foods that are light on the wallet and great for bulking include PB&J sandwiches, almonds, boneless skinless chicken breasts, tuna, eggs, milk, brown rice.
    when someone makes a toilet-based analogy I usually take it very seriously. -Budiak

Cottage cheese is fairly cheap.

FREAK IN THA' MAKING!!! duque21's Avatar
    Milk, damnit....Milk(has 4.8g/glutamine per cup)...Milk plays a pivitol role in my diet. It is a great way to get a high quality slower digesting protein. I usle 1% it is more dense, has fewer calories, but more protein than whole or 2%...

It is great t take when going to bed, to aid in the prevention of catabolic breakdown. Milk consist of 80% casinate 20% whey. So for a bulking phase, this would aid in the over night fast. I try to drink 16 oz's with some source of whole protein ie. tuna, steak..ect.

Wannabebig Member
    I was a big fanatic of milk, although now i've been put off. After reading a few articles on how cow's milk is bad for you, and leaches out calcium from your body, plus its not easy to digest. I asked a nutrionist if this was true, and they confirmed it.

I also have a very serve case of shin splints. If I walk too much, sometimes even a bit, I get this intense pain and I cannot walk. I think the milk I've been consuming for years, 1 litre a day, is instrumental in weakening my bones this much.

I was drinking a half gallon/day of milk during my last bulk. Quick and easy way to get an extra 800 quality cals.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

A Fortnight Dead
    Milk is just fine. How would a source of calcium go about removing calcium from your body?

That "nutritionist" no more deserves her title than does a "personal trainer" who designs "toning" workouts and thinks deadlifts are bad for your back.
    Last edited by _-_v_-_; 12-07-2002 at 03:12 PM.
    "human kind/
    Cannot bear very much reality/
    Time past and time future/
    What might have been and what has been / Point to one end, which is always present."

-T.S. Eliot. "Four Quartets."

"Redistribution [of wealth] is in effect far less a redistribution of free income from the richer to the poorer, as we [had] imagined, than a redistribution of power from the individual to the State."
    -Jouvenal

Fear me, I am the bandersnatch.
    -Paul Stagg

Hard to digest huh? Damn, I guess I should inform my gastric system because it apparently hasn't gotten the memo.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Originally posted by _-_v_-_
    Milk is just fine. How would a source of calcium go about removing calcium from your body?

That "nutritionist" no more deserves her title than does a "personal trainer" who designs "toning" workouts and thinks deadlifts are bad for your back.
    Please do a search on this topic before commenting on it. There is some research that implies that milk my leech calcium from your bones. I don't personally believe it but it's not as far fetched as you think.

A Fortnight Dead
    I do not believe that I should have to refrain from offering my opinion solely because I have not devoted EXTENSIVE study to it a given subject. What I said was my own immmediate reaction to what was posted. If it is unacceptable to post such an opinion, then what is the point of a message board?

And by the way, because I am fatally allergic to milk products, I must take calcium supplements to prevent the worsening of my osteoporosis. While milk perhaps may leech calcium from the bones of some individuals, I can honestly say that the LACK of milk has done far greater damage to my bones...
    Last edited by _-_v_-_; 12-07-2002 at 04:36 PM.
    "human kind/
    Cannot bear very much reality/
    Time past and time future/
    What might have been and what has been / Point to one end, which is always present."

-T.S. Eliot. "Four Quartets."

"Redistribution [of wealth] is in effect far less a redistribution of free income from the richer to the poorer, as we [had] imagined, than a redistribution of power from the individual to the State."
    -Jouvenal

Fear me, I am the bandersnatch.
    -Paul Stagg