The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The soul of Metal and Hard Rock

Where has the soul of metal and hard rock gone..., when I listen to todays socalled metal and hard rock bands, I dont get it, is this hard rock, is this metal? its so soft and no soul, limp bizkit is a sort of metal band, but they got little to no solos or gitar skills, and then you got the screaming bands, a bunch of nerds dressed in goth clothes screaming out in sexual frustration since they didnt get nothing in high school.

what do you guys think?
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Like what happend with the working class bands, rolling stones, beatles, all that stuff, ofcourse music developes, but why in such a lousy direction?
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

They've got a titty god now? Why wasn't I informed?
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

well...the heart of rock and roll is still beating. and from what i see i believe it.

the old boy might be barely breathing, but the heart of rockn roll...

well the heart of rock n roll is still beating.

that is all.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Uncommonly lame, Tryska.

I agree the new stuff is some kind of metal rap slurry, fast then slow. Me, I am fan of the glam bands from 80s and hard rock from the 70s. ac/dc, motlety crue, poison, la guns, and gnr. Throw in a little anthrax, megadeth and danzig for lifting.
    Rock- being europe ever hear of D.A.D.? There from Holland the last album I bought of theres was an import. Awesome band there into JD, tv and Disney land. Not sure if there active or not.

Never heard of D.A.D, Glam bands rock, they had a real rock and metal feeling about their works, early, I like cheesy metal, metal rap is bull****, they are a product of their record companies, like they just jump on what everybody else does, and damn it sounds alike, and every second modern rock band sounds so like, they dont got their own thing, its tragic that kids today dont get to know what real music is.

Rock, do you have a retro-fetish or something?
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

I have a lots of fetishes my good friend, but no, I think alot of the music made today has a cool quality over it, Jennifer Lopez, Pdiddy, Eminem are all creating their own style, but why can this with rock and metal!

hey rock (this was a bit disturbing) but i heard some AC/DC today and remembered how you like them, if you can find anythign from 'the datsuns' they are from new zealand maybe you would like them?
    'you cant avoid confrontation in life. it just makes things more trouble down the road. sometimes you have to look at the bull and say "f--k you bull" and grab that bull by the horns'

-Shane

I think Rock needs a little Dio in his life.

cool, yeah, The Datsuns, IL do a search

DIO! YOU NEED DIO!

Ron James Dio. DIO!

Holy Diver
    Last in Line
    We Rock

You need Dio. Badly. I prescribe 30ccs of Dio, administered daily!

A Fortnight Dead
    That, and a chaser of The D.

Or just The D.
    "human kind/
    Cannot bear very much reality/
    Time past and time future/
    What might have been and what has been / Point to one end, which is always present."

-T.S. Eliot. "Four Quartets."

"Redistribution [of wealth] is in effect far less a redistribution of free income from the richer to the poorer, as we [had] imagined, than a redistribution of power from the individual to the State."
    -Jouvenal

Fear me, I am the bandersnatch.
    -Paul Stagg

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Metal hasn't been GREAT since the 80s. It hasn't been GOOD since the mid-90s. And it's been DEAD since the new millenium rolled around.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Climax of Intellect WillyTheGreat's Avatar
    Listen to Godsmack.

Godsmack is not metal. They suck ass. They're a bunch of AIC wannabe losers with no real point/drive. Listening to them is just a shade better than playing 'Nookie' over and over again.

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"

Pearls of Wisdom...

Originally posted by Budiak
    DIO! YOU NEED DIO!

Ron James Dio. DIO!

Holy Diver
    Last in Line
    We Rock

You need Dio. Badly. I prescribe 30ccs of Dio, administered daily!
    Dio rocks. His best stuff was on 'Heaven and Hell', IMO.

'Children of the Sea'
    'Heaven and Hell'
    'Neon Knights'

His lyrics are pretty hokey, though. But fun. Last thing I heard from him was the cover of 'Dream On' he did with Yngwie Malmsteen. Kicked some serious ass.

Yngwie is God.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Ecoli die
    Music comes in waves. There is still some powerful rock out there and there is some real trash too. Personally I like quite a bit of the new rock from Disturbed, Pantera, Godsmack, Megadeth, Slipknot, Gasoline and Drowning pool. Those are just the "popular" bands that I like their stuff right now.

Music right now is much more focused on overall sound rather than individual skill. Hearing drum solo's like RUSH, Bass solo's like Metalica and licks like anthrax are not in style so you don't hear them much.

Personally, since about 2 months ago (when the last rock station in Denver changed format to 70's rock) I've been out of the mainstream, but I'm sure those groups are still around.

And make sure to include the "J" in Yngwie J. Malmsteen, because you wouldn't want to get him confused with all the other Yngwie Malmsteens out there.

If you like something a bit different, try listening to VAST (free, pretty when you cry). But hey, that's way off topic here.
    Last edited by Tiare; 12-07-2002 at 07:54 PM.
    Now in pain, only working out the walking sticks.

Yeah, listen to Godsmack. When the album is done, hit yourself in the face repeatedly with a brick.

Back at it
    I think the music is still out there. The thing is mainstream dictates what you hear and hard rock/metal is still out there, it just doesn't get the airtime and promotion as all that top 40 crap. Back in the 80's and early 90's the market was much bigger, but alternative (morphed into mainstream too) and hip hop took the spotlight.

Look into local venues and the underground scene and I bet you'll find rock that suits your interest. You just have to dig deeper now than ever because of the Timberlakes and Blink 182's of the world being what the majority of people want.

I think the screaming bands and what not are the best. Just because they aren't the same as metal and hardrock 10 years ago doesn't mean they aren't talented or that they're lyrics don't have meaning. That's the similar mindset that you're grandparents growing up in the 50's might have about your music now... and IMHO is close minded. It's all a matter of opinion. I myself don't care much for most mainstream music, if I do is usually the band's lesser known songs. It's kind of like Supermodels, they are chosen because they appeal to the masses, but in fact some people might argue that so-and-so is better looking than any supermodel.

lol @ screaming out in sexual frustration
    Reminds me of my grade 6 days when I was into Guns and Roses and Metallica, sporting a mullet and a 1.5" cross earring , not to forget my black t-shirts with bunch of sadic stuff written on. Other kids thought I was hardcore, so did I, more than anyone else
    Back on the subject, I still believe most of the bands like GnR and Metallica were good, but others like Slayers and Iron Maiden are just sound pollution. Nowadays, not many metal bands get to me... I prefer to stick with my Chrstina Aguileria's Dirty song
    "Damn, I'm looking good" -Duke Nukem
    "I look cool dude" -Pig From the Sky

Woah, you liked Metallica but not Iron Maiden?

You cant be hardcore if you dont like Maiden. Sorry.

Iron Maiden... is sound pollution?

You GO TO HELL! You just plain GO TO HELL!!

Well, not really. You're entitled to your opinion, of course.

I LOVVVVVEEEE Iron Maiden!!!!! God, listening to the entire Powerslave album makes me wanna go bandit, Reynold's style. They are my all-time favorite band, along with Nirvana and a smidgeon of Iced Earth (Metallica lost the spot years ago).

Pearls of Wisdom...