The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: maxing and form

maxing and form

I've noticed that in trying to make gains by going high weight, low reps and incresing weekly when possible, that my form is a bit shaky on my max, that is I tremble a bit and rock a bit-nothing out of control, but definately noticable. Is this ok? If not, how is it possible to increase and max out without straining some and your form paying the price. Some yahoo at the gym who thinks making gains means high reps, commented to me that my form was off and I should lower my weight like him. Is this legit??

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

3:16
    lower the weight,

your maxes will not go up if injured.

though what are your goals of trianing?
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

gains only. I find though that when i lower weight it takes months for it to feel easy.. When do you increase if you're lookin to gain

also I've been training like this for about a year with no injuries yet, maybe I am not as off as I thought I was

MACHINE
    You don't need to max out every workout to get stronger. I progress nicely on anywhere from 5 to 15 reps(depending on the exercise) and excellent form. Keeping good form isn't easy - simply keeping shoulders pressed against the bench on presses or elbows tucked in and back during curls, stresses muscle groups differently than slack form.

Maybe it's just because I take most sets to failure or beyond, but NO set feels easy to me, regardless of the weight. I feel like puking and passing out after my best set of 15 squats.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

so you're saying you lift to failure increasing weight till fail, and you NEVER rock, or shake a bit?

also, i'm lifting to gain mass, not strengthen (which i know happens anyway) but my mail goal is to gain mass

MACHINE
    Originally posted by jock227
    so you're saying you lift to failure increasing weight till fail, and you NEVER rock, or shake a bit?
    Not enough to make me ask the question you asked. Some shaking is expected and inevitable.

Regardless of the goal of strength or mass, forget about one being specifically tied to a different training style than the other. Some folks who look into the science of bodybuilding without much first hand experience will try to tell you how to train for one and not the other, but I'll tell you from over a decade of training to forget about training specifically for one or the other. Train for strength and mass. When you get bigger, you get stronger, and when you get stronger, you get bigger. There is some adaptation of the muscles at the beginning of a routine change that may cause one to increase disproportionate to the other, but this will not be sustained. Over time, you'll figure out the best rep range for you.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

I always train heavy with low reps. As of late I have been not training to failure on most sets.

When I am at my limit with a particular weight, I may sometimes shake a bit. It really depends on the exercise. I notice this on deadlifts sometimes. This is not really a problem with form. To me, form deterioration involves jerking weights, bouncing, and the like. If you can move the weight at a controlled pace, and you are not bouncing, then I don't think there is a problem with your form. So, what you need to ask yourself is what exactly is going on. If you determine that your form is being compromised, then all you need do is drop the weight a bit. You don't need to perform higher reps, only perform the lower reps with better form. Make sense?

dude, read my question, it says SOME, "a bit of shaking" Forgive me for not be so assured of myself. As I'm sure you are aware, there are a lot of different ideas out there about lifting, and when ur only in your first year, sometimes you take things people comment on too seriously. I've also had guys in the gym tell me to gain weight you have to do low weight high reps.. And i've asked about that too. That doesn't mean I am doing something wrong

CHRIS THANK YOU! That is what I was asking for, my prior responce was to GINO

same deal. I can hit failure or beyond, and while I may shake I never doubt my form. You can use proper form to the end, like chris said this means not jerking, bouncing or pushing/pulling with a muscle you shouldn't be.. that doesn't mean you can't be quiveringly like a willow in the wind at times.
    LaLa

yup thats what I thought, that is wht that guy commented on in the gym, i was maxing out and was shaking and he told me to lower my weights to get as he put it, "diesl" lol i guess form was not the right word, just the shaking trembling,

I dont think that it is possible to really hit true failure out WITHOUT shaking! I usually look like a 75 year old turrets patient on the last set of any exersise! I know that people in the gym think there is something wrong with me when it takes 10 seconds to raise the last barbell curl (shaking, twitching, puffing air, moaning...) - but thats sometimes what it takes to do it right, without cheating!

dave
    Last edited by thatdaveguy; 12-10-2002 at 07:33 PM.
    the only things holding you back are the limitations in your mind, not your body.

3:16
    I shake most on leg extensions. well my legs would shake when doing squats, but that would take to much effort.lol
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

MACHINE
    Originally posted by jock227
    dude, read my question, it says SOME, "a bit of shaking" Forgive me for not be so assured of myself. As I'm sure you are aware, there are a lot of different ideas out there about lifting, and when ur only in your first year, sometimes you take things people comment on too seriously. I've also had guys in the gym tell me to gain weight you have to do low weight high reps.. And i've asked about that too. That doesn't mean I am doing something wrong
    Dude, read MY ANSWER, I'm well aware of what you said. I'm trying to give you some advice here, so don't be so defensive. REGARDLESS, my point is that you don't have to max out on lifts often to get stronger. There's a difference between using less weight and light weight - just because you use less doesn't mean it's "light". Even assuming your form is decent, you may be able to improve your form a little by just taking a little weight off.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560