Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Muscle knots?

Yo folks, last night i woke up not ocne but TWICE with nasty pasty pains in each calf [one at a time]. The first time i managed to rub it away, but the second time i tried to rub it and it felt hard, like there was a knot in my muscle or something. I had to get out of bed in a lot of pain and slowly stretch it out. I can walk fine etc... but if i press my calf it hurts a bit.

I figured this be cramp, but i've never had cramp before in my life and do not wish to start now.

Any views? How can i prevent this happening again?

Thank you.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Leave this blank, right?
    You sure it wasn't a mild 'charlie horse'?

I had a severe one a year ago on my calf, and it was still aching for that day.
    All work and no play makes me a dull boy

Meeting people, meeting souls, and making love...

Setting goals, working hard to get them, and smiling when you are living them...

to be continued

something similar happened to me once too.. and heard of a couple of guys that it happened to them too.. . even one guy at my gym.. it happened in his quads
    I think its just a cramp like you said... as a result of overtraining... tough it out you wimp
    Eat Tuna!
    "Ya don't touch my tuna, I don't kill you."- by Tuna Master
    "Part of getting what you want is knowing what you have to give up." - by who knows. ME? Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

Leave this blank, right?
    LOL, yeah, don't be a CHICKEN, Chicken Daddytuttut !
    All work and no play makes me a dull boy

Meeting people, meeting souls, and making love...

Setting goals, working hard to get them, and smiling when you are living them...

to be continued

How has your water intake been?

dehydration and low potassium levels can cause charley horses and muscle cramps...actually..let me just go back to my KP handbook and type it verbatim:

"Leg and Muscle Cramps ("charley horse" or "stitch") are common. They often occur during exercise, especially during hot weather, or at night. Dehydration or low levels of potassium in the body may cause cramps, as can using a muscle that is not stretched well.

Prevention:

Warm up and stretch before any activity. Stretch after exercise to keep hot muscles from shortening and cramping.

Drink extra water before and during exercise, especially during hot or humid weather.

Include plenty of potassium in your diet. Bananas, orange juice and potatoes are good sources.

If cramps wake you at night, take a warm bath and do some stretching exercises before bed. Keep your legs warm while sleeping.

Home treatment:

Follow the prevention guidelines.

Gently stretch the cramping muscle. Rub or massage the cramp.

Straighten your leg, grab the foot, and pull it toward you to stretch the calf.

Drink some extra water. Cramps are often related to dehydration.

Go see your doctor if:

You have the following symptoms:
    - pain deep in the leg or calf

- heat, redness, or pain along the course of a leg vein.

- swelling in one leg.

- leg is white or blue and cold.

- shortness of breath or chest pain

Leg cramps worsen or persist in spite of the prevention and home treatment

Cramps or leg pain occur repeatedly durign even mild exercise, such as walking, even if relived by rest."
    Last edited by Tryska; 07-07-2001 at 04:49 PM.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

In my expert opinion Rob, you need to stop ****ing immediately before bed, you need to give yourself time to recover
    May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

I have had those bad before during the night. I was told to drink more milk, which I did and they went away. Maybe calcium deficiency?

It was a cramp, plain and simple. When people suggest you ingest more water this can be a catch-22. Excessive water intake leads to excessive urination, which can lead to a depletion of electrolytes. If your electrolytes get depleted guess what happens? You got it, cramps! So, knowing you are a bodybuilder who probably eats a relatively clean diet with low sodium etc., I am willing to bet you may be drinking excessive water and causing the exact condition I am writiing about. Creatine can also lead to cramps.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Tell me this. For the last 6 weeks or so, my right quad has gotten extremely tight and sore during and after my baseball games. Without fail, at some point in evry game, I am running and my right quad starts hurting like a b*tch! I end up limping around for the rest of the day and the pain doesn't completely go away for like 3-5 days.

I have been doing light stretches and light jogging before the games. I drink plenty of water. I don't get it. It is fooking up my squat and dead workouts which have been very rare lately.

Do you think it could be a problem that has not fully gone away and just keeps acting up every time I run? Can this be something serious, even though the pain usually goes away after a few days?
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

That is odd, could be an injury, or it could possibly indicate circulatory problems in the area. Kind of funny, I have a problem with my right hip after a lot of walking lately. I would have it checked out by a doctor.

I think it is primarily a factor of you being a baseball-playing skinny biatch, Latty.

LatMan, this is wierd, but the same thing happens to me. Every game too. I dont pay much attention too it though cuz im a slow runner and I dont think anyone notices. I dont stretch my legs at all before the game because i pitch, so maybe that is my prob. I just find it funny that somonelse has the exact same problem as me. It hasnt happend latley but early in the season it happend every game to me too.
    Last edited by greg kaiser; 07-07-2001 at 09:19 PM.

I agree with Tryska, btw.

I drink about a gallon a day of water.

I used to eat bananas but stopped yesterday when i started cutting. [it happend the night before i started cutting.]

I never got them last night which was ace so...
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

I'm telling you, all that water and a "clean" diet could very well be the cause, not to mention it is summertime and more sweating etc.

Originally posted by chris mason
    I'm telling you, all that water and a "clean" diet could very well be the cause, not to mention it is summertime and more sweating etc.

soooo...like dehydration, chris? and an Na/K imbalance? or do you mean hypernatremia?
    Last edited by Tryska; 07-08-2001 at 09:42 AM.

Are you trying to trip me up? Shame. No, not dehydration. Dehydration doesn't really cause cramps. Did you mean hyponatremia or hyper? In either case this is not what I was referring to. What I was referring to was the fact that a "clean" diet, as many bodybuilders see fit to follow, is usually quite low in salts. This fact, combined with excessive water intake which causes a diuretic response by the body, and excessive sweating can all lead to a body that has relatively low, or at least messed-up electrolyte levels. This condition can easily cause muscular cramps.

bone crusher
    hyponatremia-

"natrium" is the old archaic name for sodium (actually of german origin) and is why the elemental symbol is "Na"

I think words are cool.

i meant hypo.....i'm key-board challenged, among other things...and no chris..i wasn't trying to trip you up......it was a serious question.....

but i pretty much agree with you that his electrolytes could be wack, but not because he's drinking too much water, because all things considered i don't think he is....

A gallon of water per day, plus whatever other fluids he drinks, combined with the water in foods is too much in my opinion. I know all of you guys are gonna have a fit because the fuc*ing bodybuilding mags have you convinced that water will make you huge and ripped. Water will NOT make you any better of an athlete. Water will only affect your performance if you are dehydrated, and most healthy people have no problems with that unless they are in some sort of an extreme condition.

well.....actually i believe as long as your pee is straw-colored you are getting enough water, and if it's clear you are drinking too much...so on one level i do agree with you.....but you would have to consume a hell of a lot of fluids to throw your electrolytes out of wack......but regardless, my thinking is that his electrolytes did happen to be out of wack that day, whether it was underhydration or overhydration.

I still agree with Tryska. 1 gallon of water isn't going to fook up your electrolytes. Chris, I thought Arthur Jones and Ellington Darden are your idols? Didn't you read Superhydration?

Bigger fewl
    Solution seems quite simple to me. Stretch, warm up, eat bananas, eat SALT, drink water, get ya multivitamins.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow!

Carpe diem

Milk.... it does the body good.

Other chicken: I DO stretch, i DO warm up, I Do drink water, I USED to eat bananas until 2 days ago when i switched fruit to vegetables and i DO ake a multivit everyday.

And WTF, eat salt? Ok then - I'll go and have a cup of it right now....

Hahaha...You don't have your daily bowl of salt CD? What's wrong with you?