The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Time Travel

Climax of Intellect WillyTheGreat's Avatar
    That would be proportional to the amount of time between the event and the traveler's present. Going back ten years and killing a cockroach wouldn't do much, but going back ten million years and killing a cockroach would probably cause big problems.

The further in the past the change is, the greater its effect.
    Well, If those ten days are ten millions years before the future, it might have as great of an effect because perhaps the cockroach you killed would've been the one that would led the insursion over the human race.

Originally posted by maverick

If you go through a black hole, you would be crushed to the size of a sub-atomic particle, no matter which way you go.
    Not necessarily......a black hole spinning quickly enough (the Kerr solution) would be traversible along the axis of its rotation. To where, no one can say just yet.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

><))))))*>
    Originally posted by PowerManDL

Not necessarily......a black hole spinning quickly enough (the Kerr solution) would be traversible along the axis of its rotation. To where, no one can say just yet.
    I'll have to get back to you on this topic. My books are at home and I'm at work. I'm a little rusty on Astronomy.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel." - Homer Simpson

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Originally posted by Nights
    I'm with the school of thought that, if you went back and time and changed anything the future would be completely different. Therefore, the thing that you went back to change, would no longer have existed in the future that you went back in. So, you wouldn't have gone back. So you wouldn't have changed anything, so the future would be exactly like it was before.

Oh, and I believe that time doesn't exist. Just like germs and gravity. Just enough people believe in it to make it real.
    Why don't you believe in gravity? It is the attaction of 2 masses to each other. Secondly why don't you believe in "germs" aka bacteria?

One of the big problems of time travel is: if it were possilble, why haven't we met any time travelers?

One of the theories that addresses this question is actually a cool idea: time travel is not possible until some sort of a time machine is invented and then built. However, the machine cannot travel back in time further than to the point that the machine itself was invented. Since the machine hasn't yet been invented, we haven't yet been able to meet any time travelers.
    Last edited by Craig James; 12-16-2002 at 11:52 PM.

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Germs are bull****. I'm with you, nights.

Worms...now worms are nasty.

People don't believe in bacteria? wtf? that's like one of the first/basic life forms on Earth.

and gravity? How can someone refute that?
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Originally posted by Manveet
    People don't believe in bacteria? wtf? that's like one of the first/basic life forms on Earth.

and gravity? How can someone refute that?
    For the gravity issue. What causes gravity? We don't know. We just know it happens.

It's possible to travel into the future, via space flight. When in space time slows down. Traveling partway to the center of the galaxy and back might be a few years to the space traveler, but tens of thousands of years will have passed on Earth.

Backward time travel is trickier. As for the Grandfather Paradox (you know, go back in time, kill your grandfather, how the hell are you born to travel backwards and kill your grandfather... ), the theory is that backwards time travel takes you to a parallel time. You can observe, but not affect it.

Interesting stuff... http://www.howstuffworks.com/time-travel.htm
    The weights won't lift themselves.

Originally posted by GonePostal

For the gravity issue. What causes gravity? We don't know. We just know it happens.
    Do you want the prevailing theory?

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Your not really traveling into the future with space flight. Your reference clock is differant then reference cloack on earth. Less time has passed for the traveller, then the reference point on earth.
    As far as gravity being a mystery-no, everything has a gravitional pull to it, even you, its just not enough to make a difference.
    Instead of reading all these article I suggest you read a physics book and then quantum physics. Its actually pretty interesting. All your getting from alot of your sources is dumbed down scifi.

A few calc classes first.
    Last edited by Berserker; 12-17-2002 at 12:42 PM.

Umm.......so in other words, the traveler has moved into the future relative to Earth. And, in fact, most of the solar system, which would be on a similar frame of reference.

I'm not seeing the problem.

I worded that wrong. Yes you could say you are time traveling. Anything that accelerates is to a degree.

Well......get next to a large enough source of gravity, say a black hole, and you could go quite a ways into the future.

Pretty effective means of time travel for not actually going into the future, eh?

Originally posted by Tryska

dork.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

I really don't know much about black holes. Most of studies have on things down here. I suppose your going to accelaerate as you get closer, but the breaking away part.

Not the acceleration, man.

A black hole rips space-time to shreds around it. Gravity = acceleraton. A black hole, even outside the event horizon, would trash local space-time enough to exploit a time-dilation effect. You could move into the future, then move away.

Same really applies to a neutron star or any similarly massive object.

I think the thing to note in these matters of black holes and accelaeration is time is passing slower for you compared to the rest of the universe. Your not going back in time to a parrellel universe or able changing anything. Getting back is the trick.

Well yeah, that's the whole idea of time travel, to make time for *you* move differently than time for everyone else.

Just so happens that heavy gravity and/or acceleration slows down time for you, thus moving you into the future. Assuming that we're defining future as the subjective frame of reference of "Earth" with respect to "you."

I would get in on this thread, because I love this sort of stuff, but I just finished my last final exam and my head hurts too much to think.

"The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

I agree Powerman.

Originally posted by Berserker
    I agree Powerman's a dork.

Originally posted by Berserker
    I agree Tryska is a Dork.

Originally posted by PowermanDL

I agree berserker is a dork.
    Last edited by Tryska; 12-18-2002 at 08:19 AM.

someone doesnt believe in gravity??

btw- after the gym i had to take a whizz.......twice!
    'you cant avoid confrontation in life. it just makes things more trouble down the road. sometimes you have to look at the bull and say "f--k you bull" and grab that bull by the horns'

-Shane