The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Time Travel

I usually go during my wo.

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    What would happen if you pissed into a black hole?

I'm halfway serious..the theory that you'd be condensed into a subatomic particle- would the liquid be any different or would it just completely atomize and disintegrate? Hmmm....

We need tests.

and just for the hell of it

originally posted by Tryska
    I am going to send teh Budiak a dollar because he am teh UnLose!

onlu if teh budiak lets me fold it up and slip it in his armband.
    Last edited by Tryska; 12-18-2002 at 03:58 PM.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

onlu if teh budiak lets me fold it up and slip it in his armband.

Are you insinuating that I'm a Nazi?

Hey...those were some sexy villains.

There is no such thing as gravity. Earth sucks. That's why I'm moving to Orion.

I always wanted to move to Deimos, but there are only like 4 Starbucks there.

no...not a nazi......it's just the whole male stripper phase i'm going through.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Okay, this is going to be a long post because this topic is a hobby of mine, so bear with me.
    The first question to ask, is do the laws of physics permit time travel? In the subatomic world... probably.
    A positron(antiparticle of an electron) can be considered to be an electron going back in time. If we create an electron-positron pair and the positron later annihilates in a collision, with another electron, this could be viewed as a single electron executing a zigzag path through time: forward in time as an electron, then backwards as a positron, then forwards in time as an electron... over and over and over...
    still with me?
    The probabillity of a larger object, like a human, doing this trick is.... not high. But through Albert Einstein's theory of special relativity, time slows down for objects moving close to the maximum velocity (speed of light), at least from the viewpoint of a stationary observer. wanna visit earth 1000 years from now? Travel to a star 500 light years away and return, going both ways at 99.995% the speed of light. When you return, the earth will be 1000 years older, and you will be ten years older.
    People already time travel on a small basis. An astronaut I have met is one millisecond younger than he would have been if he had stayed home. The effect is small, because it was slow compared to maximum velocity, but it's definetly there.
    With a little more advance in technology, we could do a little better. If we sent an astronaut to Mercury, and he lived there for 30 years before returning, he would be 22 seconds younger than if he lived on earth. Clocks tick slower on mercury because of the exertion of the sun's gravitational field.
    The downside of travelling into the future that way, is that you might be stuck there.
    Traveling backwards in time? Einstein's stuff covers this too. his theory of general relativity shows that space and time are curved and that curvature is larger closer to massive objects. If an object is dense enough, the curvature can become almost infinite, opening a tunnel to distant regions of space time (called a wormhole).
    in 1988, Kip Thorne suggested you could use a wormhole to travel into the past. Move one mouth of the wormhole through spave at the speed of light while leaving the other fixed. Then jump through the moving end. Like a moving astronaut (still paying attention?) the other side ages less, so it connects to an earlier time on the fixed end. When you pop out, you'll emerge in your own past. The problem with wormholes is that they have microscopic openings and snap shut a fraction of a second after they're created. The only way to keep them open is with "negative density" which is **** that weighs less than nothing. It may sound impossible, but it might not be. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about negative density to talk about it.
    Also, you might be able to use cosmic strings, thin strands of energy millions of light years long predicted by particle physics, but not observed. YOu could make a time machine by manipulating a large strand of cosmic string so it would contract under it's own tension (like a rubber band), and flying a spaceship around it.
    To go back in one year, you'd need a loop containing around half the mass energy of a galaxy. even worse, the contracting string would cause a formation of a rotating black hole, which would essentially cook your fatass goose.
    Even if you could get past the difficulties inherant, you can't go back in time past an era where the time machine was created. So you couldn't come back in the past and kill your relatives, but your descendants might come and kill you. get it?
    some people say time travelers can't change the past, that they were always a part of it, some argue that changing the past would cause a formation of a new parallel universe where the past isn't changed.
    Stephen Hawking once proposed a theory that the laws of physics must conspire to prevent travel into the past. Quantum effects and other constraints will butt in and prevent time machines from travelling! cool, hey?
    will we time travel? yes, but probably only in short hops. to the past? probably not. Travel is expensive, and subject to quantum effects that MAY KILL YOU. Kind of interesting reading about it, though, eh?
    "Let's hope the ship has a captain, in other words, since we're not taking part in what's going on."
    -Noam Chomsky
    "It's like putting pearls on swine. You can dress up a pig... but it's still a pig... isn't it? oink oink oink..oink oink"
    -Henry Rollins
    Push the envelope... watch it bend..
    -Tool
    "In the valley of the shadow of death... I fear no one, because i am the baddest mother****er in the valley!"

Chomsky, its not your velocity but your accelaration, which is the deriviative of velocity with respect to time that cause time change for a traveler. weird. I don't think you have to approach light speed either. Astraunots don't. atleast I don't think so.

Originally posted by Berserker
    Chomsky, its not your velocity but your accelaration, which is the deriviative of velocity with respect to time that cause time change for a traveler. weird. I don't think you have to approach light speed either. Astraunots don't. atleast I don't think so.
    Let's see...

dp/dt = v

so...

dv/dt = d2p/dt2 = a

Therefore, the blah of blah is = to blah, blah, blah...

BTW, if you travel the same speed as light, time will stop and if you travel faster than the speed of light, time will reverse making it possible to travel back in time. But this is somewhat hard to achieve considering that no object can even come close to the speed of light.
    Last edited by Lettuce Face; 12-21-2002 at 03:06 AM.

I know, I just wrote that thing based on the assumption that nothing can go faster than the speed of light. It seems to be the cosmic speed limit.
    "Let's hope the ship has a captain, in other words, since we're not taking part in what's going on."
    -Noam Chomsky
    "It's like putting pearls on swine. You can dress up a pig... but it's still a pig... isn't it? oink oink oink..oink oink"
    -Henry Rollins
    Push the envelope... watch it bend..
    -Tool
    "In the valley of the shadow of death... I fear no one, because i am the baddest mother****er in the valley!"

Originally posted by Lettuce Face

Therefore, the blah of blah is = to blah, blah, blah...

Thats what I am thinking too.