The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is this weird???

Ok, so i was chattin' to this guy last night and he said that the only reason he lifts weights is to avoid gettin' beaten up! Said he hates confrontation with other guys, and since he has "grown" he never has to take any crap from other males!!

I find this kinder strange!

So, why do you guys lift?? Is it to avoid fights?, to pick-up chix?....... or just cos ya wanna???

'No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.'
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I lift so I get stronger....that's about it. (and maybe look better for my wife when I go to the beach)

I could care less what other guys think about me.

That guy sounds like he suffers from some serious insecurity issues.
    Last edited by Stray; 12-20-2002 at 06:30 PM.
    -Stray-

"When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win." - Ed Macauley

I work out because I have two daughters.....and one day they'll be teenagers.

Success Nourishes Hope Shankerr's Avatar
    I lift cause I like to :-) I suppose though, if that dude was having serious problems, then it might make sense
    Let me get this straight...
    You get play from the girl of your dreams
    PR Shoulder Press using the 3 digit dumbells
    Hit up some fun with the guys
    Then get more play
    (all in one afternoon/evening I might add.. S)
    You are a success my friend . Share your secrets. (Crippy)

rookiebldr says:
    As for the weight gain, that too shouldn't be a problem, just tell them your leaning out. Then flex your bi and tell them to ****ing get lost.
    Shane says:
    yeah or throw something at them
    rookiebldr says:
    like a couple of 45's

Chatting... was this in a chatroom (ala online) or in person?
    -Stray-

"When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win." - Ed Macauley

I work out because I have two daughters.....and one day they'll be teenagers.

I lift so that I can achieve my personal goals. I compare myself to no one but myself. All the other good stuff is just extras.

I think for some guys if they lift they become more of a target for smaller guys to prove themselves. Kind of like if I take this big guy I am the best. From personal experience my brother has always been big....in grade school. highschool and now in university. And he says some smaller guys come up in bars and are looking to pick a fight, like they have something to prove. So I don't think lifting will necessarily stop someone from starting something.
    If figureskating was easy they'd call it hockey. me
    If it's important they'll call back. me

The question isn't who is going to let me;
    its who is going to stop me.
    Ayn Rand

And so it begins,
    My eyes wide, yet I see only darkness.
    The world is mine, yet it crumbles with my touch.
    I can touch the stars with my thoughts,
    But the simplest of pleasures denied.
    All things must end they say;
    to end before beginning?
    Tis the sadest loss of all.
    M.P. (poet and author)

"Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and despair, but manifestations of strength and resolution."

Originally posted by Stray
    Chatting... was this in a chatroom (ala online) or in person?
    In person..... to a really cute bouncer!!!

.........a bouncer who doesn't like confrontation!?!
    'No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.'
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

Back at it
    I lift for confidence.

As for avoiding confrontation it has for me too. In bars and clubs people are now more likely to turn and let me walk through when before I had to push through or walk around. I also hear pleanty of "sorry bro" and stuff like that when people bump into me. I'm not even that big, but for the average clubber I guess I am.

I lift to keep the voices out of my head.
    "The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." -Steve Prefontaine

Motivate a fatty here.

Totally, dude!
    Cause it's better than being fat!

As long as the voices tell you nice things......not like kill kill steveo!!!!!!!!!
    If figureskating was easy they'd call it hockey. me
    If it's important they'll call back. me

The question isn't who is going to let me;
    its who is going to stop me.
    Ayn Rand

And so it begins,
    My eyes wide, yet I see only darkness.
    The world is mine, yet it crumbles with my touch.
    I can touch the stars with my thoughts,
    But the simplest of pleasures denied.
    All things must end they say;
    to end before beginning?
    Tis the sadest loss of all.
    M.P. (poet and author)

"Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and despair, but manifestations of strength and resolution."

Re: Is this weird???

Originally posted by Miss Rezza
    Ok, so i was chattin' to this guy last night and he said that the only reason he lifts weights is to avoid gettin' beaten up! Said he hates confrontation with other guys, and since he has "grown" he never has to take any crap from other males!!

I find this kinder strange!

So, why do you guys lift?? Is it to avoid fights?, to pick-up chix?....... or just cos ya wanna???

This was my original reason to start hitting the iron. After about 2 months within lifting, I was no longer picked on. Now, I lift for the pure enjoyment of it, and I like winning powerlifting cometitions.

In the beginning, it was because i was fat and i was sick of being made fun of. Then i just wanted to look good and maybe pick up women. Now, i often ask myself why do i go through with it all, do i want to get bigger, do i want to look better, when it all comes down to it, i lift to enhance my body so everytime i walk on stage i put the fear of god into those who compete against me, i lift to win bb competitions, and when its all said and done, i plan to win a whole lot of them.
    May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

I lift because weightlifting is a part of me, like my arm. It's a total addiction, and cutting it off would be the end of me.
    "Let's hope the ship has a captain, in other words, since we're not taking part in what's going on."
    -Noam Chomsky
    "It's like putting pearls on swine. You can dress up a pig... but it's still a pig... isn't it? oink oink oink..oink oink"
    -Henry Rollins
    Push the envelope... watch it bend..
    -Tool
    "In the valley of the shadow of death... I fear no one, because i am the baddest mother****er in the valley!"

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    I started lifting originally because it was an excuse to spend time with my brother (also my best friend). Now I lift because I love it.

I was never bullied, but I'm sure it would be a horrible thing to experience. I remember seeing the same kids getting picked on by the same people all the time back in high school. Many others only provoked the bullies by laughing, cheering, etc. I don't see how the people that were picked on could ever enjoy life having to face that same stuff every day. So, I'd say those type of people probably did it so they could concentrate on something productive instead of concentrating on avoiding humiliation every day.
    5-9 170

Ecoli die
    I started to get away from my girl friend when she was being a whiner ("oh, look at the time dear, I have to go lifting now. Can we finish this conversation later maybe?").

Then I got to like the fact that I was looking better so I started improving my diet.

I'm sure I'll make up another excuse to lift real soon.
    Now in pain, only working out the walking sticks.

So I can look like a sexy pretty boy
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Was never really picked on in school.. in fact, despite being the thin little guy, I use to get enough respect. I had a bad temper when I was young, and growing up in a small town it was something that was remembered. I wasn't afraid to fight the big guy that was picking on me or people I liked.. But I can see where the desire not to be picked on would force someone to think "I gotta get bigger".

My reason for starting was the fact I'd been in a college without any sports programs for a year, was in a city that I didn't know enough people to get together and play anything for fun.. so I needed something to do. And the desire to get big was always there. I keep going cause I like it.
    LaLa

Re: Is this weird???

Originally posted by Miss Rezza

I lift so I can scare small children with my physique.

Seriously though... I do it because I can't function if I don't do physical activity. I start to go nutz if I don't lift or do cardio. Plus it helps while playing college hockey.
    Last edited by Lettuce Face; 12-21-2002 at 08:21 PM.

Because I wanna look good naked. Also because I have loads of spare time.
    Stats
    5'10,185-190lbs, 12-16%bf

I started because I too was a fat kid...now Its really to get time away from it all doing something I love. As far as dieting goes I want to look better for myself...and well to pick up girls. Although the picking up girls part hasn't worked yet. .

Darn back to the drawing board

i started cuz i was a fat kid too.

When i started lifting is was so I wouldn't get picked on. At 5'10" 120lbs I was picked on. Alot. My dad showed me how to lift and i started wrestling. I got mean and nobody picked on me. Lifting then became just for fun.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

I originally started because i was a twiglet and unhappy with how i looked. I then started and have made gains my whole life has changed, people talk to much differently; im kinda treated liked im important.

At first i wanted to be arnold, but i realised i can only be myself, although Arnold always has to be my benchmark
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...