The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time Travel

Hybrid View

Time Travel

Alright my friends and I were discussing the possiblity of time travel and what the implications would be. I have some questions for those who are interested in the science and philosophy of it. I always find discussions on Time travel, paradoxes, multi-dimensions extremely fascinating.

1. Is it realisticaly possible for humans to travel in time? Would we be able to survive the travel?

2. Does Time actualy exist, or is it something that humans created for themselves? Some say there is no past or future only now so there is no time to travel.

3. If we could travel in time would it be in the same Time plane, or a seperate Plane? Would be able to say go back and kill hitler and change the present, or would it only change the future of that existing time plane. If say we were to kill go back and Kill our mother would we instantly disappear? What would happen if you met yourself in the future or past, would you really disrupt Time( like back to the future).

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Soca King
    Arrgh!!

Time travel discussions make my head hurt,time travel is one big contradiction.

Personally IMO I think that it's like the cloning issue,there are some things we shouldn't be able to do.

I think this analogy should work."Time is like a river,it goes in many different directions.And interupting time is like ripples in a pond.These ripples could have unseen consequences both good and bad"

Watch the Back to the Future trilogy,that is a perfect example of what happens when you fool around with time too much

We are all travelling in time. Ooh, that sounds deep.

You cannot turn back time, If you drive your car in reverse will you go back in time nada, if you reverse trough a black whole, do you go back in time, nada.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    If we chould turn the earth the other way.....

But uhh...doing something like killing Hitler or something enormous like that? That...thats a pretty ****in big change, dont you think? What if the French went back in time (like we'd let them) and aided the British to win the American revolution?

Or what if the Germans went back in time and killed Lincoln, or FDR, or Patton? Montgomery?

WHAT IF THEY KILLED JACK DANIELS???

If you went back in time and changed something (eg killed hitler), then hitler would already be dead when you went back in time, so you wouldn't go back to kill him. You can't change the future because its already happened, so if you go back in time and change it, you still haven't changed anything, because the change you made has already happened, so you haven't changed anything.

lol, that last part was hard to phrase.
    "I'm gonna die with a dumbell in my hand." - stpatrick44

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 80kgs (176lbs) | BF%: dunno
    --
    BB Bench 1 x 110kgs (242lbs) | Deadlift: 135kgs (300lbs) x 2 | Current Routine: Bodybuilding

Re: Time Travel

Originally posted by nate allan
    1. Is it realisticaly possible for humans to travel in time? Would we be able to survive the travel?

Depends on how you define "realistic," I guess. There are theories out there that are consistent with current knowledge of physics, yes, but practical implementation is *far* from reality. Most of these ideas revolve around cosmic strings and black holes, or similar massive distortions of space-time.

2. Does Time actualy exist, or is it something that humans created for themselves? Some say there is no past or future only now so there is no time to travel.

Again, that's a highly volatile question. The laws of physics are generally time-independent; that is, they work whether time is moving "forwards" or "backwards." There is a slight exception, however-- backwards-time matter would have the opposite spin, making it anti-matter.

Additionally, there is the measure of entropy which is also a time-dependent quantity. Entropy always increases in a closed system (whether the universe is a closed system is a different matter, however).

Those two facts lend credence to the idea that time is a "real" event.

3. If we could travel in time would it be in the same Time plane, or a seperate Plane? Would be able to say go back and kill hitler and change the present, or would it only change the future of that existing time plane. If say we were to kill go back and Kill our mother would we instantly disappear? What would happen if you met yourself in the future or past, would you really disrupt Time( like back to the future).

This is where it does get tricky. Two main schools of thought here: one, there is no way to time travel, or if there is, the past is self-consistent. In other words, if you travel to the past, then things happened how they did *because* you were there. This brings up issues of free-will and so forth.

The other idea is that the entire universe, much like a single particle, has a wave-function that expresses "reality." If you travel to the past and change something, the most-probable universe changes. So when you return to the future, you return to a different future than the one you left.

However, that would make things kinda suck for the time traveler, since by default even his/her presence would change the past. He/she would likely never return to the original universe.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Millennium was a good flick on time travel. Whenever someone did something that changed the future, the foreign world comes one step closer to destruction. It had a non-stellar cast- Cheryl Ladd and Kris Kristofferson.

I was discussing stuff like this with a friend and we came on to talking about stuff like teleporting. There are issues with all this stuff. For example, you walk into a teleporter, all the atoms in your body are scanned, and the info is sent to the other teleporter, where you get constructed. Now you've got two copies of yourself on either side of the teleporter, each claiming they have a right to life because they are identical. The copy will be happy because they actually went where they wanted to go, the original was just a tool to get there, so its really unfair if you let them live... This means you have to somehow kill the original, in a completely painless and unnoticable way. This means that everytime you go into a teleporter you die, and some other guy walks out the other end.
    Pretty bent, huh?

--
    BB Bench 1 x 110kgs (242lbs) | Deadlift: 135kgs (300lbs) x 2 | Current Routine: Bodybuilding

Too bad that can't actually happen because there's no way to scan an atom to that level of detail.

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    I have the right answer: I don't know.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Yeah but thats if there was a way Would be freaky...
    Are you referring to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle powerman?

--

The theory of quantum mechanics is incomplete anyhow, so we don't know whether the universe is indeterministic or deterministic...

--

I'm with the school of thought that, if you went back and time and changed anything the future would be completely different. Therefore, the thing that you went back to change, would no longer have existed in the future that you went back in. So, you wouldn't have gone back. So you wouldn't have changed anything, so the future would be exactly like it was before.

Oh, and I believe that time doesn't exist. Just like germs and gravity. Just enough people believe in it to make it real.
    LaLa

Satellites actually have time shifts frome earth, due to there accelation. Its measureable but not noticible. I think also jets flying over the sound barreir too. But Einstein said that travel at the speed of light is impossible since the mass would have to go zero. Did the proofs in Quantam physic but don't rember them. Is there a parrell universe for the satellite that losses time, I doubt it.
    The rest of this thread sound like a you been watching to much star trek.

I must be bored. But as far the whole hitler thing, if you kill him how do you know that one of the jews he killed wouldn't have been worse then him? Or there offspring.

Berserker, I think you're talking about how the closer you are to the speed of light, the faster time passes. That parts actually been proven, set two atomic clocks (v accurate) at the same time, then send one off to china and back again on a plane, and have one sat in your office. The one that took the plane journey will be ahead of the other.
    Strange huh?
    I'm not in a thinking mood at the moment so I can't be bothered applying that to what we're talking about...
    Last edited by ChrisH; 12-15-2002 at 03:14 PM.

--

Well now that question is way too deep for 5:30 on a Monday morning!!
    'No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.'
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

Seriously, Rezza. I had to get some sleep before I came back.

I am more partial to the 'alternate plane of existence' theory.

And also how do we know that when hitler 'committed suicide', he wasnt assassinated by someone from the future? Or freakin Kennedy?

Maybe Kennedy would hav started a nuclear war a 'la 'Terminator 2' and he was assassinated by a robot(t-800 grade) from the future? That might explain the rapidity and accuracy of those shots, which mind you, was astounding.

Or maybe the guy on the hill was from the future, and knew that Oswald wouldnt have killed him with those two shots, so he went back in time to finish him off?
    To stop the war, of course....

Or maybe we've been doing all of that as of recent and we've just been royally ****ing up some other plane of existence, and Earths 2, 4, and 9 are all just smoking balls of rubble?

Hmmm....

Nahhhhhh!

Originally posted by Budiak

And also how do we know that when hitler 'committed suicide', he wasnt assassinated by someone from the future? Or freakin Kennedy?
    You mean it was Kennedy who killed Hitler? OMG!

HAHHAH! HE DID IT I KNOW IT!

So then the Germans from the future go back in time and waste Kennedy! ITS PERFECT!!

Or or or...Nazis...

FROM THE PAST!!

Climax of Intellect WillyTheGreat's Avatar
    ChrisH said it perfectly.

1. We can't travel in time.

2. The slightest change in time would cause terrific differences...you never know how moving one rock out of its place can change the course of history.

3. If time is continuous, if time travel is possible, then our present world would constantly be changing because someone in the future is ****ing with time, right?

The repercussions and even the possibility and ways of time travel are quite intriguing but easily the most brain wracking.

kindof liek the twin paradox
    'you cant avoid confrontation in life. it just makes things more trouble down the road. sometimes you have to look at the bull and say "f--k you bull" and grab that bull by the horns'

-Shane

Originally posted by WillyTheGreat
    ChrisH said it perfectly.

1. We can't travel in time.

Yet. That doesn't mean that a "sufficiently advanced" technology couldn't.

2. The slightest change in time would cause terrific differences...you never know how moving one rock out of its place can change the course of history.

That would be proportional to the amount of time between the event and the traveler's present. Going back ten years and killing a cockroach wouldn't do much, but going back ten million years and killing a cockroach would probably cause big problems.

The further in the past the change is, the greater its effect.

3. If time is continuous, if time travel is possible, then our present world would constantly be changing because someone in the future is ****ing with time, right?

The hypothetical paths that particles trace through space-time (called worldlines) can't be broken. So no, once an event has happened, it has happened.

This doesn't preclude the possibility of the alternate outcomes being expressed as other probability functions, though.

><))))))*>
    Originally posted by Rock
    You cannot turn back time, If you drive your car in reverse will you go back in time nada, if you reverse trough a black whole, do you go back in time, nada.
    If you go through a black hole, you would be crushed to the size of a sub-atomic particle, no matter which way you go.
    Last edited by maverick; 12-16-2002 at 12:54 PM.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel." - Homer Simpson