The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabe Hero

A question about alcohol.

Hi all.

Im new to these forums and its great to see others with the same interests as one self.

Even tho people I know can appreciate me training for a better physique and health, they still get that look on their face when im mixing a protein or MRP shake at work.

Anyways a couple quick questions since im basically a novice to bodybuilding.

What kinds of effects does alcohol have on my training. Im a very social person and going out after work for a beer or two, a couple of times a week and maybe partying a lil in the weekends is pretty normal for my lifestyle.

What kinds of effects does consuming a couple of beers after working out have on my training and body?

What would 2 beers do if I had em an hour before working out?

Also, I recently bought some MRP and some protein weight gainer. Now I cant really tell the major difference between the two here.

Both products have approx. 42g and 50g carbs per 100g. So why do they have different labels?

Thanks in advance,

Ahmar.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

on the labels for the MRP's and the protein powders, look at what vitamins and minerals are in there as well. I am sure this is a lot more in the MRP's. Post which company you bought them from so we can help you figure out what you need. But since you bought a weight gainer, you really dont need the MRP's, most people just buy the protein powder to add more protein in their diet, but if you are trying to gain weight, just stick with the weight gainer, but it isnt bad that you have both, they will both help you achieve what you want if you also keep a healthy diet besides just the weight gainer.
    Beer, its liquid bread, its good for you.
    Don't just call me pessimist. Try and read between the lines. I can't imagine why you wouldn't Welcome any change, my friend. I wanna see it all come down. suck it down. flush it down.

Wannabe Hero
    The MRP I bought does not include minerals and vitamins. So I guess other than that there is not much difference?

I bought it from a danish company(I live in Denmark), their reasoning for not putting vitamins and minerals is that people often get too much also due to their normal diet.

I take vitamin pills every day and do eat normally as well, so that isnt a problem.

Beer before wo is probaly not the best, though 2 isn't horrible either. I've had the same problem. I want to stop after work and have couple with the guys but I want to wo too. I've never tried wo after a couple beers though.
    As far what effect alcohol has on lifting it does effect protein sythisis. Some people say 100%, I say there full of sh*t. Some say 30% I can beleive that. But I also think it matters how many you have. I have trouble beleiving three beers is going to effect me for 24 hours.
    Theres alt of people who get on there high horses and say why even wo if your going to drink. well I don't want to be fat drunk and I like both. Lately I been drinking on days I am not wo, after reading about the effects here. But I really can't say its a differnce. I do now like to wait until after my post wo meal to drink so the body gets the protein. But a couple beers isn't going to kill ya.

Trying to figure this out JohnCollins's Avatar
    Funny I just had this conversation with Just-a-Pup, who I consider pretty knowledgeable. He suggests not drinking on workout days because he says the alcohol inteferes with the "protein synthesis". Guess it means if you drink on lift days, you're working against your body trying to take the food and the work and build more muscle.

I didn't ask, but if you're not lifting that day, seems a couple of beers is A-OK. It won't take the muscle apart. Anyway, I'm gonna not drink on lifting days anymore. Don't want to waste my effort.

JPC
    "Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe." --Albert Einstein

Had a good workout on my liver yesterday. Did a pretty high number of reps, but not to complete failure. Liver DOMS today is kinda bad...it has even reached my head! -- ElPietro

"If I ever found a chick who smelled like gun powder and spent cartridges, I'd run to a jewelry store, rob it, and propose to her with a sack of diamonds. " --Budiak

"I dance like a drunken white boy. I'm really screwed since I quit drinking." -- PowerManDL

It usually don't drink period but when I do I make sure that it is as far away from training as possible. It's really up to you and what your goals are though, some people lift for fun and don't care about the end result. I am determined to get my body into as good as shape as it could possibly be. Sure I lift for fun, but seeing great gain always make me feel better about some of the sacrifices I make.

My $0.02.

Originally posted by AJ_11
    It usually don't drink period but when I do I make sure that it is as far away from training as possible. It's really up to you and what your goals are though, some people lift for fun and don't care about the end result. I am determined to get my body into as good as shape as it could possibly be. Sure I lift for fun, but seeing great gain always make me feel better about some of the sacrifices I make.
    I'm the same way, I actually used to drink whenever I wanted, however now I know better. After reading about drinking slowing protein synthesis I decided to cut out drinking altogether. My hard work in the gym just means too much to me for me to be sacrificing it for something that isn't all that great, IMO.

Wannabe Hero
    Thanks for all the replies guys.

Its great to know I can come here and get some answers about stuff like this.
    I'll definately not be drinking on workout days, but I gotta be social with the honeys as well yaknow =)

Tir na nOc Pursuer Borgod Maxximus's Avatar
    Since Ive seriously cut down my beer consumption Ive noticed a considerable drop in bodyfat also.
    "In the pool of dreams, the water darkens for the soul thats tired of search"

Varg Vikernes