The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuck in a Rut.

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity

Stuck in a Rut.

Justin's Not-nearly-as-exciting journal

Introduction
    I'm a realtively new guy around here and I really like this place. I hope to stay a while. My name is Justin for those of you who haven't yet deduced that. I currently have a problem. For months I haven't been gaining a damn thing except a little extra strength and some well-earned bodyfat. Suffice to say, training ain't goin' so well right about now. All the same, I was advised to post a journal so that is my intention here today. I will post my diet, routine, sleep and any other relevant details. This won't be nearly as flashly as other journals I've seen because I suck, but I promise to work on it. I need badly for those of you who DO read this to help me out.
    I am student at AppState in Boone, NC. I am 20 years old and 6'0" tall. I weigh about 210 lbs give or take and have been working out for about 1.5-2 years.
    Here's my dilemma: I feel like I've gained too much bodyfat although I watch my diet rather closely. I want to cut but at the same time I want to put on more LBM because I'll tell ay what...my arms are rediculously small. Nevermind that I can dealift 355 for reps they're still tiny. I will post my workout and diet later on today after I workout. That is all for now.
    Last edited by JustinASU; 04-03-2003 at 03:55 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

*Awaits more information regarding training routine, diet etc.

Welcome!!
    Check out my Training Journal HERE

105kg Open IPF Classic Provincial record holder in the squat, bench, deadlift, and total.

The customary

How's the gym at App? I almost went there for school. App not App's gym... anyway, you get my drift.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

4/3/03

The Workout
    Today was a chest/shoulder day for me and I had to abbreviate a bit because I was being rushed due to the fact that I had a date to attend. Still a fun workout though...

• Flat Bench (warm-ups> 115x8, 135x8) 205x6 205x6 205x6
    • Decline Bench 185x8 185x8 185x8
    • Standing OHP 115x8 115x8 115x8

If you'll notice my standing OHP is rather weak but I'm used to the seated version. Course the gym is is incredibly undersized for the demand it generates so I couldn't get to a seated OHP. As I put more and more of my workouts in this journal you'll notice my back and legs are slightly stronger as a whole than my chest and arms. I try, and have been for a long time. I feel like sometimes I take one step forward and two steps backward and I never progress. That what you guys are for! Helping my sorry ass out.

Food!
    Meal #1 9am
    • 3 scambled eggs
    • 1 hardboiled egg
    • 2 sausage patties
    • bowl of total
    • glass of milk
    • glass of OJ

Meal #2 12pm
    • 2 ham and cheese sandwiches

Meal#3 3pm
    • Tuna Salad Sandwich on wheat
    • Almonds
    • Potato Salad

Meal #4 6pm
    • Beef Tips
    • Baked Potato
    • Corn
    • 3 cups skim milk

Meal #5 9pm (Post Workout)
    • 5 cups skim milk
    • 1 can tuna

Meal#6 12am (had a long night)
    • 6" Turkey Sub from subway
    • 2 YoCrunch Yogurts w/ granola

Total calories=3964
    Fat=155 g
    Carbs=350 g
    Protein=267 g

Sleep
    I fell asleep around 3am and awoke around 1pm today. Total is 10 hrs. I dont typically sleep like this but it was kinda nice. I have no friday classes so I figured, why the hell not?

Ok well that's all the time I have to post today. This damn post took me a good half hour because I am not used to making my posts all purdy and stuff. Gimme some feeback!!
    Last edited by JustinASU; 04-04-2003 at 11:59 AM.

Post looks nice and neat.

Workout looks pretty good too. Don't worry about your pushing being weaker than your back or legs. Those muscle groups are bigger than your chest and shoulders anyway so they should be stronger.

What does your routine's split look like?
    What is elite?

HY-My Routine is a basic powerlifting routine and the split goes:

Monday (Back)
    • Deadlift
    • Shrugs
    • Rows
    • Chins

Wednesday (Chest and Shoulders)
    • Flat Bench
    • Incline Bench
    • Decline Bench
    • Seated (preferably) or standing OHP

Friday (Leg Day)
    • Squat
    • Leg Press
    • Stiff Leg Deads

Saturday (Isolation and assistance)
    • Dips
    • curls
    • Tricep extensions
    • Calf raises
    • Abs

There it is! Tear it apart.

I figured I should probably let you guys know what my short-term goals will be so you know how to help.

GOALS
    • I'd love to be about 225 lbs with 8% BF by the end of the year but that seems rediculously unrealistic. Currently I am 210 with something like 15-20%. I have no idea how to calculate BF
    • I want my Bench to be 250x8
    • I want my deadlift to be 450x6-8
    • I want my squat to be 425x6-8

If I knew my body measuements then I'd have ideal measurements to get to but I have no way of measuring myself. Basically I'd love to have the physique of Reg Park, the natural BBer that was popular in the 50's and 60's.

You do not need all three benching movements. I personally only do flat bb bench, then do incline with db's.

I'd also rather do skulls instead of extensions for tris.

Do you want to cut or bulk?
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Manveet-That is my problem. I want to bulk a lot more but I feel like perhaps my BF if getting a bit high. I cant measure BF but I am not to fond of my little gut thats forming and the loss of definition in my chest (which I assume is due to extra BF). I mean if I keep up this "bulking" I'm gonna have bitch tits in no time. SO I guess I want to cut but I'm afraid of loosing LBM and especially strength. I've had to work hard for the strength I have because I have **** for genetics. What would you suggest??

After looking at some other people's journals/poundages/pics...I've decided that I suck and I'm gonna be a scrawney bastard forever. Well I gotta leg workout to do.
    Last edited by JustinASU; 04-05-2003 at 01:25 PM.

So I did ATF Squats for the first time today... So um after 3 worksets of ATF squats and then 2 worksets of front squats, two moves in which I have never done in my life I felt like doing one of three things: crying like a baby, jumping off something high, or throwing up. Suffice to say I didn't make it to me SLDLs. I'll post my routine later. I need to go pass out.

Originally posted by JustinASU
    After looking at some other people's journals/poundages/pics...I've decided that I suck and I'm gonna be a scrawney bastard forever. Well I gotta leg workout to do.
    Dude you also have to realize how long some of those people have been at it. Just use it as motivation to get to where you want to be. Its a long road and never really ends but the scenery along the way is really nice.

Keep at it and keep posting. That's the biggest thing. Persistance and education. Size comes with time and you just have to have the right frame of mind to get it. It can happen to anyone with the right attitude.

Glad to hear ATF squats did something for ya. Make sure you get plenty to eat and lots of protein because your muscles are going to be needing it. Keep chugging along. Your doing a great job so far.
    What is elite?

You can always do a small cycle of a cut. I just finished one month of cutting. I lost some strength, but nothing that I can't get back within a few weeks of bulking again.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

The Workout
    The dreaded leg day. I got to try out some fun/horribly painful new moves today that rocked my quads and glutes. I had never done these before so for the sake of form and safety I kept the poundages relatively low.

• ATF(Ass to the Floor)Squats (warm-up 135x10) 245x8 245x8
    • Front Squats 135x8 135x8
    • Attempted to do my SLDLs but my lower back was FRIED

I honestly hope these two lifts get easier because my god they were tough compared to parallel back squats...Also I performed the front squats with crossed arms. It's pretty rare when I feel like I wanna vomit after a few worksets but I def. accomplished this today.

Food!
    My diet wasnt the best today. I really need help in developing a perfect diet...I'm thinking of cutting for a few weeks though..
    Sleep
    Still on an irregular sleep pattern which is probably hurting my performance and growth considerably. I DID get about 10 hours but it was skewed. I dont think I will get into a healthy pattern until the summer when things are less hectic for me.

HY I really appreciate the encouragement...lifting can sometimes be a tedious and discouraging hobby when you are constantly setting impossible goals for yourself or comparing yourself to other people's progress.

Manveet I started some weekly HIIT sessions. Would you recommend I just stick with those for a small cut or change my diet??
    Last edited by JustinASU; 04-06-2003 at 04:14 PM.

Nice ATF squatting!
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

The Workout
    Today is my isolation/assistance day. Its basically a day with which I can screw around with. Today was alright. Nothing special.
    • Weighted Dips BWx12 BW+25x10 BW+45x8 BW+50x6
    • Standing DB curls 30'sx12 40'sx8 40'sx8 45'sx6
    • OH tricep cable extentions (cant remember weights but got up to 125x6)
    • JM Press 80x8 (was playin with this one)
    • Wrist Rollers and Wrist curls behind the back

Today I was mostly just messing around and seeing what iso moves would be good for me.
    Food!
    I havent done too bad so far today. FOr Meal#1 I have 4 scrambled eggs with milk and oatmeal and for meal #2 I had grilled chicken with wild rice. I am now finishing up my protein shake.
    Sleep
    Got in about 8-9 hours of sleep last night well...I really didnt go to sleep until early this morning but thats what girlfriends will do to ya.
    NateDogg I appreciate the compliment

Journal is really nice looking Justin, keep it up man. Weighted dips are awesome man, strength is right on.

Just a couple thoughts: First of all, I havent but on ANY LBM in what seems like weeks and even months(at least in my obsessed/diseased mind), and I'm getting a bit discouraged. I eat about 3000-4000 calories a day so I wouldnt think my caloric intake is a large factor. I'm begining to think that nothing short of mass amounts of steroids will help me...

My quads and glutes are still screaming today so Im not entirely sure whether or not I should go ahead with my DLs today...any thoughts anyone???

I'm also considering switching my rows to DB from BB...not sure about the form though.

Does anyone who has done front squats before experience pain in the delts where the bar rested??

MonStar Thanks a lot man. It helps that I know others are reading this and leaving encouraging comments.
    Last edited by JustinASU; 04-07-2003 at 03:05 PM.

My quads and glutes are still screaming today so Im not entirely sure whether or not I should go ahead with my DLs today...any thoughts anyone???
    I don't think you'd see really any good results from deadlifting while that sore.

Front squats can cause some pain in the front delts. You might try wrapping a t-shirt or towel around the part of the bar that rest on your delts next time.

This link can help a little bit as far as DB rows. You don't have to do exactly like he does. Get it so that it feels right for you.
    What is elite?

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    Hey there! just stopping in to say whats up Yo!

lokking forward to seeing your future posts, hard to give too much advice at this point until you get more data entered in ye old journal bro'

Diet looks alright, like you said you seem to be eating good. workouts look good. Do you change the order of your exercises around much or vary them? How about partials, forced reps, or negs? Incorporating them into your routine now and then can spark things up.....

About those DL's if your still sore, I wouldn't do it. Depends on the soreness. If it is extreme, then your body is still rebuilding itself, EAT and take it easy, then when you feel better come back and hit it again! Only you can say if it is extreme or not, I just finished drop sets and I needed like three days after each session to recover before drop setting another body part then 4 more days to recover before getting into a regular 3-day split again. The most important advice I can give right now is make sure you get enough REST time between sessions depending on your intesity levels.

Good luck on your goals!
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

The Workout
    Today was my back day. This is my second favorite day because I get to pull my heaviest weight today. Only problem is since my quads hadnt recovered from my little ATF Squat day 'twas a bit painful to DL even though, since I am a tad on the obsessed side, I dealifted all the same.
    • Deadlifts (warm-ups> 135x8, 285x6) 325x8 325x8 325x7
    • Dumbell ROWS 35'sx8, 50'sx10, 60'sx8, 70'sx8
    • Chins 7xBW, 7xBW, 7xBW
    • Shrugs 135x10, 285x8, 285x8

First thing's first. I took it easy on the deadlift poundages due to my aching quads so I hope to do much better next time. Secondly, I did DB rows for the first time today. I liked them a lot, they worked my lats pretty good.
    Food!
    Meal #1 12pm
    • 4 scambled eggs
    • 1 cup milk
    • 1 cup oatmeal

Meal #2 3pm
    • Tuna Salad Sub w/ cheese and lettuce
    • 1 ounce almonds

Meal#3 6pm
    • 5 ounces grilled Chicken
    • 1 cup oatmeal

Meal #4 9pm (postworkout)
    • 4 ounces grilled chicken
    • MRP Shake w/ 2 cups milk

And thats all SO FAR...
    Sleep
    I got about 8 hours of sleep last night although it was in an irregular pattern again. Felt tired today....

I have a question for anyone...Why..WHY wont my chins improve?? They've been this way for about a year...My rowing has improved so what am I doing wrong??

HY Thanks for the link and the advice. I managed those DLs (sorta) anyways

Kenn Welcome to my journal! I've only been on this routine for about a month so I dont want to change much yet but yes, I do change a couple from time to time. I dont do partials, forced reps, or negatives because I'm not entirely sure how to utilize them within the guidelines of my routine. If you can offer advice on that, I'd be happy to try a method or two. I look forward to your input!

Justin,

Don't get too discouraged. Many of us have been there, watching our progress stall. You're lifts may be disapppointing to you now, however look at your progression over the long term. Changing up your routine can sometimes bring much a needed kick. Keep the journal going it is definitely worth while.

p.s. some of us would kill for the lifts that you have.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Ok guys...I'm getting worried about my BF levels...I think I'm getting tits. I need help FAST!!!! Anyone? I know nothing about cutting.

rookiebldr Thanks a lot man. I'm a whiney bastard if you hadn't noticed and my whining increases two-fold when I am not progressing. I dont know if changing my routine is the best though. Only been on this one for about 4-5 weeks.
    Last edited by JustinASU; 04-07-2003 at 09:55 PM.

Yes, you are a whinny biotch!

Cutting, in it's simplest form is just reduced calories. Start at 500 cals below maintenance. Adjust from there, ie. if you are still not losing, reduce by 250 more. At 500, you should lose 1-2lbs per week depending on your other activity level. There are all sorts of other adjustments to add in however, reducing the calories might just do the trick for a bit. IMO, take it for what's it's worth.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Hey Rookie, I uhhh, well ya see, I dont know how to calculate maintenance calories....