The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Where I am.

WannabebigAZN

Where I am.

I am 5 ft 11 183 lbs. up from 175 lbs. I'm leaner at 183 lbs now at 10% bf. I just finished a conservative deca cycle. I'm done with it completely. Because my gains weren't outrageous I should be able to keep it. I plan to tone up down to 5% bf or so.

The last time I tried to lean up, my girlfriend thought I just looked like a smaller version of myself. I lost a lot of muscle, but didn't look any leaner. Is everyone's response to dieting and cardio different? As for me, I am just going to eat the same and introduce cardio for the first month or so. Following that, tweak up my diet a little. I want to be down to 170 lbs by March, but shredded. I have an ectomorphic body type. I feel if I simultaneously tweak cardio and diet at the same time, I'd revert back to my skinny self. Dieting correctly is harder than anything.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    5%? Good luck. Your body will have a hard time transporting testosterone at that level, nevermind most folks can't get that low without lots of "help."

Grasshoppa
    I honestly tweak my diet first and don't do cardio until I start stagnating.

And yah, 5% is hard to achieve and is probably more detrimental to your health to maintain, IMO.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Damn, 5%? Good luck man, I would be happy with the 10% you already have, but that's just me.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Wannabebig Member
    Like the guys said before, your body will not function properly without the 10% ESSENTIAL fat it needs. You should be very proud of yourself if you are actually at 10% now.

Originally posted by zelsey
    ...your body will not function properly without the 10% ESSENTIAL fat it needs.
    Do you mean 10% essential for a bodybuilder or something? For males I believe the required minimum is actually 3%, which is almost impossible, and 11% for females (childbearing mechanism).

Wannabebig Member
    3%? that low? Your organs need a certain amount of fat in order to function properly. I was told 10% but you may be correct. I know pro body builders go well below 10% but ONLY for competitions, they aren't normally that low. Maybe I better do some more research. The person who told me this has been training for 40 something years and is one of a very small number of trainers in Canada certified to do practical assessment of people wishing to become CPTN certified. She knows what she is doing but maybe I got my genders mixed up.

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Originally posted by zelsey
    Like the guys said before, your body will not function properly without the 10% ESSENTIAL fat it needs. You should be very proud of yourself if you are actually at 10% now.
    essential fat levels I thought were around 4-5%

Wannabebig Member
    despite what everyone says man, dieting will only do so much for some ppl, others benefit more from it. the key is to be doing light cardio every off day (20 mins) for a month or so. - just riding a bike would be enough - . this trains your body to feed off the fat that u have (but 10% aint much) and then will be more likely to keep it off longer. but dont overdoe it man, or u will shrink like a pecker in cold water. hope this helps a bit
    LC

WannabebigAZN
    I am so scared of feeling like I'm shrinking.
    I guess I will have to learn from my mistakes.

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Women stop having their period when their bf% gets too low. My gf dropped down to around 14% at one point and her period stopped and her estrogen levels sank. She didn't get back on track again until she got back around 18%. I'm sure it varies from person to person, though.

And don't overestimate bodybuilders bf%. Most of them are so incredibly dehydrated when they're competing it's ridiculous.