The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    PR blaster!

pain in hip/glute/ass

Whenever I squat down with a stance wider than shoulder width I feel this DULL DEEP pain in my ass. The wider the stance and the more depth going down, the worse. I also have pain when rotating the upper thigh or even holding it up in the air which requiring stabalization from the ass/glute. Deadlifting conventionally (narrow stance) causes no problems. Any suggestions? Delphi? docs? anyone?
    "****, if you told teenagers it was trendy to wear a paper bag on their heads with holes for the eyes they'd all be doing it."

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

The more experienced lifters here may have some different/additional info for you. It sounds to me like you have an underlying weakness and/or lack of flexibility of a muscle in the following groups: glutes, hams, adductors. The wider your stance, the more strain that is placed on all three groups. It also sounds like now you have a strain to that weakened muscle, as shown by the pain you feel when holding your leg out flexed at the hip.

I would suggest using a narrower stance until the pain is gone when you hold your leg flexed at the hip. Then work on flexibility and strength before going back to the wider stance. For flexibility you can try straight leg stretches and squatting down in an ass-to-floor position for 30-60 seconds at a time (no barbell). For strength you can do stiff-leg deadlifts, hyperextensions, reverse hyperextensions, and good mornings.

My $.02.

PR blaster!
    thanks doc, anyone else?
    "****, if you told teenagers it was trendy to wear a paper bag on their heads with holes for the eyes they'd all be doing it."

PR blaster!
    eh!!!!!!!! It still doesnt feel right. Anyone have suggestions?

How wide are your feet these days? Still wider than shoulder width?

PR blaster!
    Let me try to explain this: If I were to stand up and flex my leg at the hip like you say, there is no pain. The pain comes when I stand up and externally rotate my leg at the hip. The pain is deep (not superficial) and its dull. The pain also comes when I am supine and I again externally rotate my thigh, bend my knee at 45 and attempt to raise my toe. I believe this is it, but I'm not sure.

http://exrx.net/Articulations/Hip.html#anchor850108

An interesting thing I've noted is when I squat using no weight and ultra wide (which I never do) that I am plain old weak and horribly inflexible in that position. My adductors are terribly tight and I cant get below parallel. I start to shake when I get to terminal flexibility. When I'm done stretching and warming up with wide weightless squats, all of a sudden when I squat normally (my usual medium stance) there is no pain. The pain still comes back when I am supine and externally rotate my leg. I guess I guess I'll keep working with the wides.

Is the pain in your butt or on the inside of your leg in the groin area? If it's in the butt I would guess you have some bursitis or tendonitis there. When I used to run I had chronic tendonitis where the left quad muscles attached to the pelvis. I could warm up and get to where I could run most of the time without pain, but the pain would be back once I cooled down. It would hurt like a mother the next day, too.

PR blaster!
    Its in my ass. The back side. ****

It would be interesting to see what some kind of a sports medicine doc thought about it after examining you. Have you thought about going to see somebody?

PR blaster!
    Yeah, hopefully this week. Either a sports medicine doc or an ortho that has background in lifting.

PR blaster!
    dad pulled some strings...gonna go to the ortho tomorrow

PR blaster!
    Update:

Went to the chiro today and said that placing my wallet which is heavy and large in my back pocket (which Ive been doing for years now) might be the cause of hip dealigning (or whatever its called). He did some manipulation and focused primarily on my neck (because of an severe sprain) and hip/low area. My low back seems to move much much smoother now.

Cool. Did he give you the OK to resume squatting? Did he say anything about the spacing of your feet?

PR blaster!
    Update:

Went to the orthopedist today. He took an X ray, and found nothing; the joint is fine. He wrote a script for some anti inflam and is refering me to a physical therapist.

You need a good looking PT (female) do give you regular butt massages. "If it's physical, it's therapy."

PR blaster!
    I can deal with that.