Thread: Questions regarding Routine #1.

Wannabebig Member

Questions regarding Routine #1.

Hey guys. Well, I took everyones advice and decided to go with the WBB routine #1. I will get started with it on monday. Just a few things I'm not clear on.
    It says....
    Abs to be done on any training day of personal choice. Crunches : 4 x 8-10 reps
    Does this mean that I can only work on my abs on my training days? And can I do 2 x 50 reps instead? Or even 4 x 25?

Also, I read somewhere (I'll try to find the link later) that its not recommended to run before your work out. Is this true? I usually run 5 min on the treadmill before I start lifting weights.

Thanks in advance!

Lenny

Grasshoppa
    Do you do 25-50 reps of any other weighted exercise?
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Wannabebig Member
    5 minutes on the treadmill is fine to warm up the body. I do 10-15 minutes on the bike to get my body warmed up.

As for abs I have been doing the WBB #1 routine for about 6weeks now and I do abs on legs day at the end 4 sets of 20. I guess you could do 2 sets of 50.

I do 4 sets of 25 twice a week. I don't start realy feeling abs until the 20th rep. I don't use weights tghough. As far as the comment about training other muscles that much every muscles differant. Alot of people train abs everyday. I know they are used on other lifts but I don't think once a week is enough. Maybe if you did them weighted, I don't know. I've also added calves on the 2 day break. I really don't think calves once a week is enough. With the tris and bis your hitting them directly and indirectly, your not with calves. I've increased the reps too. Maybe if I had a good machine where I could really load them 10 reps would be ok. Also added some forearm.
    Last week was week 8.

Wannabebig Member
    So 4 x25 on Monday and Friday should be perfect right? I think I'll just stick with that.

Lenny

Grasshoppa
    Just because you know people that do abs everyday doesn't mean they're right.

It all depends on your goals I guess. I know quite a few people who don't work them directly at all and their abs grow just fine doing squat work and deadlifts.

Doing 25-50 reps of ab work won't do much in terms of making your abs grow, especially if you aren't using any added weight. They can either atrophy, be maintained, or hypertrophy just like any other muscle. So if you are doing 25-50 reps of the same weight for any muscle, I doubt they'll grow.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Wannabebig Member
    Ok, thanks for the input guys!

I really don't want big abs. As far as the everyday thing I am not sure. But I am going to do them a 2-3 times a week. Not everything is to failure. Though I do think 50 reps may be to much maybe need contract more and concentrate at the top.