The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Serious Strenght Training

After seeing several people recommending this book, I bought it and have been reading it in the last couple of weeks. The material is very interesting, I'm learning a lot and I'm a bit intrigued about the routines described there (basically 2-day splits done twice in a week), mostly because they are very different from what people recommend in this forum and because of the periodization (using different rep and set schemes during each phase of training, depending on the goals of that phase).

Has anybody tried any of the routines as they are described in the book? If so, what kind of results did you get?

Thanks for your input.
    Edgar V.

So you don't wanna get big, do you?

----------------------------------------

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

One Bad-A$$ MoFo!
    I never read the book, what do the routines look like?
    Current Lifts:
    Bench Press: 290
    Deadlift: 405
    Squat: 380
    Total:1075

Goals by September 2002:
    Bench Press: 300
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 450
    Total: 1185

According to the book, you divide a year of training in several phases: anatomical adaptation, hypetrophy, maximum strenght, muscle definition, mixed training (hypertrophy and maximum strenght) and transition (rest). Each phase can be 3-8 weeks long, depending on your goals. The book outlines several routines for different goals (mass, strength, competition).

On most phases the book uses a 2-day split (legs-back, chest-shoulders-arms) done 2 to 3 times per week, depending on wheter you're a beginner or and advanced bobybuilder. It seems interesting to me, but I was curious abour what other people thinks about it since most people here advocate training each body part only once a week.

It would be a bit hard for me to explain it all (I'm still trying to get the hang of it before deciding if I will give it a try). I could scan some of the routines and email them to you if you like.
    Edgar V.

So you don't wanna get big, do you?

----------------------------------------

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

I think i've seen that book in a bookshop near where I live, does it have a blueish-grey sort of cover with some big guy on it?
    I had a brief look and the first thing I found had something like 20 sets per bodypart or something stupid like that, seemed like a steroid users weight training routine...
    Am I on about the right book here? Maybe I was just reading a different part of it...
    "I'm gonna die with a dumbell in my hand." - stpatrick44

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 80kgs (176lbs) | BF%: dunno
    --
    BB Bench 1 x 110kgs (242lbs) | Deadlift: 135kgs (300lbs) x 2 | Current Routine: Bodybuilding

No the book is decent ive had it over a year now, the priciples are very useful, though some are outdated. The routines aint that bad their not what you would see in flex anyhow.

The diet info is also good, especially when calculating for your own needs. You get a feeling though that they rushed the end of the book as the AAS info and info on injury is very brief and no help at all.

Otherwise a good guidebook.
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

Ah ok i'll have a look. Might buy it when I got the cash
    "I'm gonna die with a dumbell in my hand." - stpatrick44

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 80kgs (176lbs) | BF%: dunno
    --
    BB Bench 1 x 110kgs (242lbs) | Deadlift: 135kgs (300lbs) x 2 | Current Routine: Bodybuilding

I have that book too.

Their chapter on the hypertrophy phase seems quite similar to HST, in the sense they share the principles of:

1. progressive overload (called 'step loading' in the book), 'cept their load increases weekly as opposed to per session in HST

2. frequency, 'cept theirs calls for 2 sessions per bodypart/week

3. strategic deconditioning

4. emphasis on compound movements (they call it 'exercises which provide greatest electrical stimulus' or somethin like that if i recall correctly)

5. that it's unnecassary to train 'balls to the walls' style on every single workout.

but it's published in 1998, and things might have changed in the science by then. As Big Ron says, it might be outdated. I'm curious to know in which regard that might be so?

I'm doing HST right now cuz it makes more sense in my head.When I switch over to my strength phase, I'll probably follow what that book says just to give that a try.

cheers!
    Last edited by Qea; 12-18-2002 at 05:52 PM.
    Don't eat the yellow snow

Wannabebig Member
    If you are looking for a good strength training book, pick up Bill Starr's Strongest Shall Survive. He gives you the foundation for great strength training.

I found the book extremely simplistic and not much info to be had considering the size of it