The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Shrugs aren't helping my traps, whaddya think?

I've always had good back width, but traps and upper back are difficult for me to develop. Maybe it's from lack of specific training over the years,(the military was more focused on chest+shoulders and endurance) and I know it's mylagging bodypart area.
    Well shrugs don't really respond well for my traps, and I've tried very hard with very little success, so I'm wondering/thinking, should I just forget specific traps exercises and concentrate on all rowing movements and deadlifts, and drop chins since I'm already strong in that area?
    Do you think this may be my key do developing the traps in a roundabout way?

John
    Last edited by Raildog; 12-16-2002 at 12:16 AM.
    If you can't knock out a dozen or so chins, your either too fat or too weak, take your pick...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

deadlifts alone have always been the key excercise for me and traps.

Maybe you are overloading them. Perhaps dropping the shrugs and deadlifting heavy would be best? What else do you do that involves the traps in your routine?
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Wannabebig Member
    do some upright rows before you do your shrugs....really helped me out.

MACHINE
    How are you measuring your success with shrugs? Are you getting stronger? You could simply be genetically prone to small traps. Genetics is the virus in bodybuilding - you can treat it, but you can't cure it. I have small calves - I can train them and improve, but they'll never be big because of genetics. The same could go for your traps. Just keep training like you're training now. Keep deadlifting, and keep shrugging heavy. More trap work isn't necessary, but perhaps you could increase the focus and intensity of your current sets for traps.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Originally posted by Blitzforce
    http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/235pow.jsp
    check out that website found by Blirzforce....

and scan down a wee bit on this training page and read the thread called trapz, traps, traps....was a good and helpful discussion.
    "Don't take life too serious, you'll never get out alive."-Van Wilder

How's your diet?

Whats your routine look like?

Gino: My shrug weight has increased, I mean I start out with 185 to warm up then I do my heaviest set first. 295lbs, then I drop set 10-15% of the weight for 2-5 sets depending which week I'm into with my routine.
    Week 1: 2 sets 8-11 reps
    Week 2: 3 sets 4-7 reps
    Week 3: 4 sets 8-11 reps
    Weeks 4+5: 5 sets 4-7 reps

I do this routine for all exercises. I know what you mean about genetics, but it's frustrating seeing some 170lb guy with bigger traps than I at 233lbs. I know I've never really seriously lifted for my back beyond pull ups all my life so it could be heavily lagging part, even my upper back+middle are lagging compared to my lats...

John
    If you can't knock out a dozen or so chins, your either too fat or too weak, take your pick...

MACHINE
    Bummer. I do 2 sets of shrugs every other week, and my traps are pretty big relative to the rest of my physique. My awful calves make up for it though - I blast them every week and they still look like twigs. They are improving slowly, but steadily - the only way poor genetics can be "treated" is with INTENSITY and PERSISTANCE. Muscles have to respond some way to training...

If you're progressing, keep doing what you're doing.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Banned
    Originally posted by Raildog
    Gino: My shrug weight has increased, I mean I start out with 185 to warm up then I do my heaviest set first. 295lbs, then I drop set 10-15% of the weight for 2-5 sets depending which
    My recommendations:

- do deads if ya ain't already. They rock.

- try db shrugs (with the heaviest DBs you can find) rather than BB shrugs and focus on paused reps at the top of the motion... I was doing BB shrugs with up to 365 or so and it wasn't making much of a diff... I went to doing these paused DB shrugs with 100s on the DBs and I think they've made a real difference. My traps were never particularly lagging before but they're coming up better now.

I also think a big part of it is that you gotta WILL them to grow. Don't accept that they're lagging... make them a focal point and blast the heck out of 'em.

Good luck

Cal

I don't really focus on deadlifts as much. When I do them I feel it in my legs and middle lower back. How does the deadlift motion stimulate the traps if your not taking the traps into any range of motion? I do like how deads can make you feel like you sprinted though!
    Anyway someone educate me on how deads affect traps through the movement so I can know.

John