The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

poundages on front squats

i'm going to be working out exclusively at home and switched back squats to front squats.i'm only going to be squatting what i can clean .i just did my first workout and am only at about half the # of my regular squat.what are other peoples experiences with poundages on front vs.back squats???

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Grasshoppa
    That's normal.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Cottage cheese addict LiftAgain's Avatar
    Atm. my front squat is about 70% of my back squat.

about 45lbs lower on the average

depends if your a quad squatter or a hip squatter
    Last edited by Blitzforce; 12-21-2002 at 09:15 PM.

My best PL squat is mid/high 300's.....OL style is around 300 or so.

I front squatted 225x2 recently....its not the weight on those that gets me, as much as getting used to holding and positioning the bar.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

its not the weight on those that gets me, as much as getting used to holding and positioning the bar.
    Ya, it feels too damn akward. Plus my quads are weak, I think I'm more of a hip squatter, I like a wide stance.

requires very strong core muscles and upper body strength

i searched the posts and found a way to use my bench as a rack so that i can get a cross arms grip.i really bombed my legs with the clean and squats so i cant really test it yet. but when i cleaned the weight the grip was akward(palms up)my biceps are too big for the amount of flexibility i have in my wrists.the cross arms grip really feels natural so i'll see how i do next squat workout.

Try a wider grip when using the clean grip, and also try and push the elbows indwards to pop the front delts up to create a shelf for the bar. You should feel like choking when done right

blitz what's the difference between a hip and quad squatter.im assuming the hip squatter is wide stance?

Originally posted by Thor
    blitz what's the difference between a hip and quad squatter.im assuming the hip squatter is wide stance?
    not necessarily.

hip squatter - someone who shoves their butt back to squat, shins more vertical. Stress mainly on lower back, glutes and hams.
    Motion is started by bending the ass back first and then sitting back as you squat

Quad squatter - knees bend more forward, shins angle more acute, quads take more stress, but hips still get a good share.
    normally known as an Athletic squat or olympic squats. Motion is started by bending knees forward first and then sitting directly downwards

There are on the degrees between the 2 methods of course.
    The Olympic squat has fairly even stress between the quads and hips. The Hip back method has a 4:1 ratio of stress on hips to quads.

width of stance has more direct effect in how upright the upper torso is. Narrow stance creates mroe forward lean, wider stance a more urpight torso while bringing the hips into it more as well.

Squatting in heel raised olympic weightlifting shoes targets the VMO more as well. Recommended for front squats
    Last edited by Blitzforce; 12-22-2002 at 03:44 AM.

Stance is pretty much what determines it.

You're not going to be a quad squatter with your feet way out, and you're not going to use your hips if you're at shoulder width.

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Originally posted by Blitzforce
    requires very strong core muscles and upper body strength
    I don't deny that much, but I've got plenty of both

With me, its more just a matter of finding that comfortable groove. If I can get the sweet spot, I could handle three plates no problem.

Originally posted by PowerManDL
    Stance is pretty much what determines it.

You're not going to be a quad squatter with your feet way out, and you're not going to use your hips if you're at shoulder width.
    I don't necessarily agree with that, a lot depends on a person's, structure. I used to squat hips back when I first started squatting with a shoulder width stance, my hamstrings, glutes and lower back took a ton of stress. My poor quads recieved virtually nothing
    I didn't find it very comfortable - it was alomost painful in a bad way.

I do have long upper thighs, so that even now when I squat Olympic style, my still hips hang quite a bit back.

also when I started front squatting many months ago, I used a very wide stance, just about powerlifter style, it was the only way I could stay upright so the bar wouldn't kill my wirst using a clean grip. Felt a fair bit of hammie/glute action doing em like this even though my upper torso was vertical and my knees well forward.