The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Is it possible to get stronger w/o getting bigger?

I was bored at work the other day and decided to look up some info on how gymnasts strength train. I found this very interesting article on the subject. According to the article, gymnasts try to get as much strength as possible, but w/o getting bigger. Obviously this is better for gymnasts because the less mass they have, the easier it is for them to do the things they do.

Was wondering what you guys think of the article and if this is really possible?
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

to a certian point yeah, i think it is possible to get stronger without getting bigger. some people on this board have been doing just that. although, i think it can only be carried to a certian point, cause muscles can only get so efficient before extra strength demands extra size.
    when someone makes a toilet-based analogy I usually take it very seriously. -Budiak

i would get upset if that happened...
    "Don't take life too serious, you'll never get out alive."-Van Wilder

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Don't get too upset. It happens much sooner than many people would like to believe.

Just don't eat too much

reading the article seems like I've been all the right things to gain strength, power and size together - heavy weights/low reps, light weights moved at maximal speeds

Most athletes don't require muscle mass with their strength, power to weight ratio is king. Only football players require muscle mass.
    Last edited by Blitzforce; 12-22-2002 at 01:45 AM.

Latty has been getting stronger for a long time but didn`t gain much weight

Yes its very possible, as others have said your diet will have a huge influx on what happens.

The gymnasts are a prime example, but as with any sport steroids play a big part at the top levels.
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

3:16
    possible.

though it will depned on genetics as well. some one like greg kovacs probably would have trouble getting strong with out getting bigger. but at the other end of the scale with light weight elite powerlifters have difficulty getting big but getting strong is easy regardless of routine.

Most of us here are some between these two variable. routine will effect how much hypertrophy and strenght can occur.
    Plus technique will you to lift more (techniqualy not stronger as muscle output is the same, just more efficient) at it.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    Yeah and obviously lowering your BF is a good way to go.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Wannabebig Member

MAx "your" article explain very well how to gain strength without growing. Focus on low reps.

If you want to grow do high reps, 8-12. You won't gain as much strength with 8-12 reps than with 1-5 reps but you'll increase your strength potential, increase absolute strength because it'll make your muscles grow.

My guess is that giant sets are the way to go if size is your goal.
    Last edited by Gavan; 12-22-2002 at 09:37 AM.
    Gain Muscles ? Overload !
    Lose Fat ? Input < Output
    Genetic determines your potential
    Chins : 10x106kg Dips 10x109kg

No. I'm living proof that you must get larger to get stronger.

tee hee
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

I think alot of bodybuilders have trouble understanding the power/weight ratio that exist in everything. Getting bigger & stronger legs may not make you faster. Anyone whose ever wanted to go fast nows theres a balance between size and power.

Wannabebig Member Podium Kreatin's Avatar
    possible, and it happens all the time; for example, powerlifters try to get stronger faster than the weight they put on, so they won't have to compete at heavier weight classes unless they're strong enough
    "No one can completely believe that I am natural.
    The most important drug is to train like a madman
    -really like a madman
    The people who accuse me are those who have never trained once in their life as I train every day of my life."

Alexandr Karelin
    Ten-time World Greco-Roman Champion
    1988, 1992, 1996 Olympic gold medalist

current stats (10/19/03): 20yrs, M, 5'4 @160lbs, ~11% body fat
    lifted since march 2000

My two cents....

I know my bench press has increased about 40lbs, but measurement is still the same....Not sure why.

Track and field athletes are living proof of this, sure some of them are bigger than most people, but for the number they lift they're not big, but their strength/power levels sure kill most bodybuilders.

Triple Jumper Jonathan Edwards for example weighs like 165lbs and can power clean over 320lbs !!! He looks like a long distance runner

If you lift heavy but dont eat over maintenance, you will get stronger without getting bigger. Im sure it stops at some point though.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!