Thread: lactose intolerance

If someone is lactose intolerant (which i seem to be) is it dangerous to drink milk anyway? I love milk and I am using it for bulking, but it doesnt agree with me. I dont mind the gas (my wife does) but if my system is trying hard to digest something it cant or has a hard time doing, can this be dangerous? I've heard that when trying to digest it the body uses and loses other nutrients to help.....Cack?

Well, I have heard that consuming lactose helps those with lactose intolerance. The key is that you gotta drink it in very small amounts frequently during the day.

The doc should have better info than I on this subject, but I do remember that tidbit of info.

It should be noted that even though you are bulking lactose is still not necessarily good because it is very fat promoting, bulking shouldn't be the same as "getting fat".

cack...interesting...kind of based on homeopathic principle. I can see that working...
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    I used to be lactose intolerant. But I knew the AWESOME POWER OF MILK!!! So, I just drank two glasses, six times a day. I got over my lactose intolerance in a couple weeks. *sigh* I also got fat. Dammit!

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    PeteO, can you drink Lactaid milk or take the Lactaid pills before drinking milk?

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

Originally posted by Gyno Rhino
    I used to be lactose intolerant. But I knew the AWESOME POWER OF MILK!!! So, I just drank two glasses, six times a day. I got over my lactose intolerance in a couple weeks. *sigh* I also got fat. Dammit!
    that's a hell of a lot of milk d00d. you could put some hindu gods to shame. careful with that calcium though..kidney stones are painful tuttut

although i'm presuming your still not drinking at that level.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

nah, I'm not drinking that much anymore. But it worked WONDERS for bulking! I never made gains like that in me life! Any of you that claim you can't gain weight, just drink milk like there's no tomorrow.. I think you'll gain plenty.

bone crusher
    enzymes in the small intestine will breakdown the lactose into glucose and galactose. In a dairy consumer, an enzyme called an invertase converts the galactose to glucose which can then be absorbed. Once production of the enzyme has ceased (usually age combined with no lactose intake) it can be very difficult to restimulate its production in those that are truely intolerant. In others, their dairy consumption is just low (many processed foods contain dairy in some form or another and any dairy=lactose ) and they are still making the enzyme, but in small quantities. These people will have better chances of being able to consume dairy if they gradually increase their intake.

intolerance can be quite uncomfortable and your gastric distubances may become quite foul depending on what your eating.

I recommend consumption of yougurt. High in protein, it contains both whey and casein and fat. As long as it contains active cultures you will most likely not experience problems as the bacteria in the yougurt help to process the lactose in your gut.

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by Gyno Rhino
    What kind of milk were you drinking.. whole or skim or something inbetween?
    Saint Stephen will remain, all he lost he shall regain.

Online Journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=90677

Skim. All the way, baby!

Originally posted by the doc
    I recommend consumption of yougurt. High in protein, it contains both whey and casein and fat. As long as it contains active cultures you will most likely not experience problems as the bacteria in the yougurt help to process the lactose in your gut.
    I'm not sure but I think that carbs in yoghurt are not the same with the milk's ones.They are more digestible.
    However it's a great source of protein,One cup of 150grams has 15g protein,6g carbs,0g fat and with the good bacteria that contains it prevents bloating.

Rockin' the midlife crisis xraygirl's Avatar
    I allow myself small amounts of milk throughout the week and take a couple of bean-o with it to deal with the associated gas problem. But whole milk is actually easier on a lactose intolerant person than skim. Go figure...

D.