The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Leave this blank, right?
    I've decided to give myself 5 days off. Starting since yesterday (July 4th) and I should return to the gym Monday (July 9th).

Now, I hear a lot about taking breaks from training. Can someone explain how beneficial it is in taking several days or weeks off? How long should it be? And how often?

Thanks.
    All work and no play makes me a dull boy

Meeting people, meeting souls, and making love...

Setting goals, working hard to get them, and smiling when you are living them...

to be continued

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

The most beneficial time to take off for your muscles to recooperate is about 5 years.

a couple of days? Hell I get that in between my training sessions..

Try 7-10 days if you have been lifting heavy for a long time with no break.. Its amazing how you feel when you come back..

Just keep to a good diet, donlt slack or you will feel ****ty..

It helps recuperates your muscles, so this traduces into grow, and of course, gives you a break for your mind and return with new forces to hit the gym.
    Personally, i take a week off every 4 months of hard training, it works for me. Others say that never rest in a year and i read that Chris Cromier takes a break of 2 months each year. My formula ? Listen to your body.

Keep pumping !

To name a few...

Gives the nervous system a time to 100% recover.

Increases your growth potential (this would take about 2-4 weeks off).

Increases motivation.

Leave this blank, right?
    Ok, I'm on my 5th day of not training. I can't stand it anymore! I feel my muscles are not tight (or just shrinking). Now, should I take a few more days off and stick to a 1 week break? Or should I just say 'what the heck! I need to go back to the gym!'

Which is more beneficial for me in the long run?

(This may be redundant, but I need you guys to sink it into my brain)!

Setting goals, working hard to get them, and smiling when you are living them...

to be continued

Doesn't matter. The feeling that your muscles are shrinking is mental, muscles don't shrink from disuse that quickly.
    Last edited by Cackerot69; 07-14-2001 at 09:06 AM.

Try replacing the weights with another activity like basketball or hiking.During your break from the weights you won't feel like your muscles are getting weaker.

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    hey pr3,

Enjoy your break from training...you'll probably come back with a roar...the rest really does you good.

I agree w/ ballast. Maybe use this little break as a chance to try some stuff that you usually don't do.

If you're looking for some cardio-type thing that also works your muscles, try rowing...lower body/upper body/cardio all in one. I tried the windrower at my gym a few weeks ago and I really felt it in my butt and legs...

Ice - i totally agree.....rowing is one of my all time fave cardios....good stuff.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Leave this blank, right?
    Okay, this is becoming a journal of days not training.

Today, I DID NOT go. My shoulder was hurting, but I was also planning not to go for a 6th day just to push this break further (even though I miss the gym ).

Today, I notice I'm not as tight, but I still weigh the same at 144, which is good. Since a lot of you are posting pics, I plan to post mine when i reach 150 (hopefully by summer's end).

Oh, another question, I plan to return to the gym tomorrow, is there a method of training after taking afew days off? (maybe not, but just checking)
    Last edited by pr3; 07-09-2001 at 09:56 PM.

to be continued

When I return to the gym after a layoff, my first two or three workouts back are total body circuit training days with 2-3 days between sessions.This way I hit the whole body at once, no muscle groups are put off any longer than they have been, and since I am doing a circuit, I usually keep the weights moderate and move through the routine fairly quickly.A typical circuit would be:
    *Bench Presses
    *Back Squats
    *Chins
    *Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    *Crunches
    This works pretty well in gaining some initial strength.

Just to let you kow, I am a firm believer that "less" is "more" - so much so that my last little break lasted, oh, about that 5 years mentioned above.

I may seem a little behind the times, but I believe that coming back from 6,7, or even 10 days off really does not necessitate a change in your work out routine. I think that you very well may come back feeling stronger.

Obviously, everyone's bodies react differently to the stress we place on them, but I found that some of my best gains way back when were when I was going almost a week between hitting bodyparts, i.e. if I worked my whole body on Monday, I could come back the following Monday feeling stronger. Bizarre? Maybe, but with the sporadic schedules that I worked, and the differing workout schedules that came from that, I found for me the longer time off helped.

Does that mean I am genetically inferior because I don't recover very fast???<Man that sucks!>

Sh*t, I have to wait 17 days between leg workouts! So, I am genetic mush, a genetic weasel if you will.