Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: 2003: A Westside Odyssey

Holding place for workout # 62. I left my notebook with my parents by accident and I really can't remember the whole thing...
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

June 17, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 63

General Comments
    Tough day all around today. Influx of house crap to deal with...not stress there of course . Coupled with an all around $hitty day at work and I'm a wantin' for bed...

Training

ME sq/dl

Squat
    1 / 135 / 10
    2 / 185 / 8
    3 / 225 / 8
    4 / 275 / 1
    5 / 275 / 1

Good sets here I guess. I was happy with a good deep set of 225X8. Other than that, nothing to speak of...couple relatively easy 275 singles, but I mentally could not bring myself down for a second rep without a spotter...and I was in no mood to talk to anyone.
    SLDL
    1 / 135 / 10
    2 / 135 / 10
    3 / 135 / 10
    4 / 135 / 10

Good full ROM here, went light.

Leg Extension
    1 / 135 / 10
    2 / 135 / 10
    3 / 135 / 10

Yeah, I know...However, I wanted to give my quads some direct work as it has become quite obvious that they are not getting much elsewhere.

Going to go and do some fixing/stretching/strengthening of my trunk and legs after this.

Training Recap
    Good enough I guess. It's tough to have good ME sq/dl workouts with a back issue.

Pain/Soreness
    Chest is a little sore, bi's and tri's are a little sore. My back...eh...really not that bad. It feels pretty much like it did when it was screwed up last time. Not too bad a pain (1-2 on 10 scale), but just always there.

Diet
    Besides a minor (pizza and beer) slip-up this past weekend, still going really well

LATER,

NateDogg

June 21, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 64

General Comments
    Spent a great day today with Nicole. She had to work this morning and until about 1:00, so I went to the gym this morning. Had a pretty good one. Also went and saw HULK tonight. Anyone who plans on seeing it...VERY S-L-O-W in the beginning when they are going through the whole story, then picks up and is really sweet when he is actually the HULK.

Training

DE bench press

Speed Bench
    1 / 115 / 3
    2 / 115 / 3
    3 / 115 / 3
    4 / 115 / 3
    5 / 115 / 3
    6 / 115 / 3
    7 / 115 / 3
    8 / 115 / 3
    9 / 115 / 3
    10 / 115 / 3

Based on some reading I have done here in some thread, I lowered my weight a bit and tried to get even faster. Worked out well. I did notice though that right off my chest I am still pretty slow, then I accelerate quickly from about 5 inches up. Thoughts?

DB Curl
    1 / 45 / 8
    2 / 40 / 8
    3 / 40 / 7

Eh.

Elbows Out DB Extension
    1 / 30's / 10
    2 / 30's / 9
    3 / 30's / 9
    4 / 30's / 9

These were great. I really like them with the rubberized dumbbells we have a set of at my gym.

Tricep Push-Down
    1 / 65 / 10
    2 / 65 / 8
    3 / 65 / 8
    4 / 65 / 7

Good here too.

Hammer Strength High Row
    1 / 180 / 10
    2 / 250 / 6
    3 / 250 / 5.5f
    4 / 180 / 12

I really like this machine. First time I had used it in quite some time.

Lat Raise
    1 / 20 / 6
    2 / 25 / 10
    3 / 20 / 10

Eh.

Training Recap
    Good workout.

Pain/Soreness
    I actually feel pretty good. Hams a little sore, but that's pretty much it.

Diet
    Still going well...um...except for a beer and a turkey burger tonight. tuttut

LATER,

NateDogg

June 23, 2003

HAPPY BIRTHDAY NICOLE!!!!
    *My girlfried for those of you who did not know.

A Westside Odyssey...Day 65

General Comments
    What a great day today. It was nice and sunny at least for a majority of the day. Went to the bookstore and browsed for a bit, I bought Nicole a few diet and nutrition books. (she just took a job with L.A. Weightloss. She's pretty excited, and so am I of course ) Then my parents dropped by. They just happened to be in the neighborhood and took us out to dinner, after we took them out to see our future house (future = next Monday). Oh yeah, if you haven't figured it out yet...we took a few days off of work. To top it all off I had a great workout, then an excellent dinner with Nicole at an uppity seafood restaurant in the area.

Training

DE squat/deadlift

Box Squat, Reebok step with 5 "blocks" per side
    1 / 155 / 3
    2 / 155 / 3
    3 / 155 / 3
    4 / 155 / 3
    5 / 155 / 3
    6 / 155 / 3
    7 / 225 / 3
    8 / 225 / 3

These were great. Speed was good with 155, and 225 went up three times easy. I was really locked in today it seemed.

GHR on Swissball
    1 / bw / 10

Half way through my second set I slipped off the ball due to sweaty knees. I think I am going to have to bring a towel with me next time.

Hyperextensions
    1 / bw+35 / 10
    2 / bw+35 / 10
    3 / bw+35 / 10

These finished up my glutes and hams quite nicely.

Also did some of my PT prescribed core exercises. I actually started off with these this time, kind of as en extension to my usual general warm-up (walking a few minutes)

Training Recap
    Good workout. I had to cut it short due to Nicole's time commitments with picking-up a friend at work after dinner. I still had a great time though. There were a few dudes benching with chains there tonight. That was pretty cool to see in my usually bodybuilding oriented gym

Pain/Soreness
    Tri's sore, bi's sore, lats sore, other than that. My back feels pretty good. The pain is all but gone if I stretch consistently. I can tell that my sacroiliac alignment is still slightly off though.

Diet
    Very good. Save a beer here and there, which I think I can recover from...I'm quite happy with how I have been eating. I am not stuffing myself lately. Just eating until I am full, then taking the rest home.
    LATER,

NateDogg

Hey ND, what are you doing for your back? I strained my back again on some platform deads, and I don't want to be out for long. I've been icing it and applying liniments constantly.
    Squat - 505
    Bench - 325
    Deadlift - 550
    Total - 1380@175

Hey DK, I have just ben doing alot of stretching (hip flexors, hamstrings, glutes, etc. Also an exercise that my PT showed me to keep, and or try to get my sacroiliac joint back into place.

Sounds like you're doing the right thing with your injury. I hope it heals sooner rather than later!

June 26, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 66

General Comments
    A long...hot...busy...tiring day...we did get most of the house stuff done though. We just have a bit more packing to do and we're ready to go and get the U-Haul on Monday morning!

Training

ME bench press

Decline Bench
    1 / 45 / 12
    2 / 115 / 7
    3 / 155 / 3
    4 / 185 / 3
    5 / 225 / 1
    6 / 250 / miss

Military Press
    1 / 115 / 6
    2 / 105 / 8
    3 / 105 / 6
    4 / 105 / 6

Eh.

Tricep Pushdown
    1 / 60 / 10
    2 / 60 / 9.5f
    3 / 60 / 9
    4 / 60 / 9

Eh.

Hammer Strength High Row
    1 / 230 / 10
    2 / 230 / 7
    3 / 180 / 10

Eh.

Training Recap
    Ok...I suck. Anyone have any suggestions as to what it going wrong here? I'm all ears. I am certainly not overtraining, in the trips to the gym sense, or the volume sense. Maybe my body hates me for all the 1rm work every other workout? My diet has not been great, but it has been good enough (calories, meal frequency and protein wise) to support my training, so I don't think that is the problem. Maybe it's time for me to revisit the 6-8 or 8-10 rep ranges for a bit. I'm not really sure. I am sure of the fact that I seem to no longer be setting PB's, especially on Bench days. It's quite bothersome really.

Pain/Soreness
    I feel ok I guess. My shoulders are a little hurty from today's workout.

Diet
    It honestly sucked today, but with my lack of activity besides training (I pretty much just drove around all day getting house paperwork done), I am still bewildered as to why I completely lacked energy and drive at the gym tonight.

LATER,

NateDogg

June 28, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 67

General Comments
    What a beautiful day today. I just got back from the gym...next up is washing the Jeep, then going down a friend's birthday party / party for no reason. Kick ass.

Training

ME sq/dl

Box Squat (Reebok Step, 5 blocks per side)
    1 / 45 / 7
    2 / 135 / 3
    3 / 185 / 3
    4 / 205 / 3
    5 / 225 / 3
    6 / 250 / 1
    7 / 260 / 1
    8 / 275 / 1

I'll have to go back and check for PB's, but I am reasonably certain that the last three all were, as this is the first time (I believe) that I have done box squats on a ME day. Felt great. I kept the bar low on my back to allow/force me to stay leaning forward (at the hips) so that I could squat back as far as possible. The only problem I had was that I had a tank-top on and the bar kept slipping down my back on the heavier sets. My wrists are killing me from holding it up there. That was the only problem I was having or else I would have gotten 290, maybe even 300 off the box. I'm glad I stopped there though...baby steps.

SLDL
    1 / 135 / 7
    2 / 225 / 5
    3 / 275 / 5
    4 / 275 / 5

Excellent sets here. Used chalk to hold the last three. So much better when grip is less of an issue.

Reverse Push-Up
    1 / bw / 10
    2 / bw / 10
    3 / bw / 10
    4 / bw / 9

For anyone wondering what these are; lay on the ground in a squat rack with the bar on the lower level (where all the heaux-meauxs curl ) Grab the bar and while keeping your back straight and feet on the ground, pull yourself up. They were...interesting.

Swiss-Ball Crunches
    1 / 10lbs behind head / 10
    2 / 10lbs behind head / 10
    3 / 10lbs behind head / 10
    4 / 10lbs behind head / 10

Training Recap
    Great workout. Absolutely no back issues, before, after (so far) or during. Felt great. I started things off with some walking, then my PT prescribed exercises. I finished things off with my PT prescribed stretching.

Pain/Soreness
    Tri's, chest, lats, all a little sore. No big deal.

Diet
    Back on track. I actually made a tub of tuna, relish and light mayo and threw an absolute fit when I woke up the next morning, looked in the fridge, and realized I had left it on the mantle after eating some the night before

LATER,

NateDogg

Good job on the PR's!How high is five blocks off the ground?

The reverse push-ups you're refering to are called body rows or fatman pull-ups. Good stuff. I just tried them for the first time yestarday. They hit the lats pretty hard.
    Squat - 505
    Bench - 325
    Deadlift - 550
    Total - 1380@175

Thanks DK! 5 blocks per side gets me to 1 inch or so below parallel.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, they felt pretty good. I should think it would be fairly easy to add weight too, just put a plate on your stomach/chest?

Well, I am officially a homeowner!!! It has been a very busy week for me and therefore I have not visited the gym since June 28th. I'll be back today though as the house has become slightly more manageable after putting a lot of stuff away. We should be pretty settled by the end of next week, then we can start on the stuff we want to change: painting, moving furniture, etc. We're also going to get cable. It will be the first time in 3 years that I have had cable at my house

Congrats on your new home!
    I will give you a bit of warning, your checklist now will never end, lol...there is always some project, etc..

You are a very lucky man to have the cohesion in your family, everyone should be so fortunate to have those bonds.

Keep them workouts ace and keep that Jeep clean (I love my Jeep)

Thanks CoCoa.

Just a quick update. I am still lifting I don't have internet access at home yet, and I don't have my notebook at work. I'll update with all my workouts when I get internet access at home.

Did 15 minutes of very high intensity jump roping the other day. Freakin' awesome.

Congrats on the house.

On the ME days, where are you failing on the lifts? There could be a number of factors.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Originally posted by Paul Stagg
    Congrats on the house.

On the ME days, where are you failing on the lifts? There could be a number of factors.
    Thanks Paul

I am failing 2-4 inches off my chest.

Just a quick update. I have ceased Westside style training for the time being. I also have no internet access at my house, and no prospects for getting more than dial-up service until I get a new computer (still running a Pentium 133 at my house, lol).

The reason for stopping Westside for now is two-fold.

1. I need a break from it. All my joints hurt from the stress. I have not been excited about going to the gym lately. I am going to do a push/pull/legs split for a bit, and basically just go through the motions on leg day until I get my body straightened out.

I am going to start doing more general health lifting/cardio. I have been doing some HIIT, I want to get a medicine ball to throw around, and I now live on quite a steep hill which will be great to run up and walk down for some HIIT as well.

2. My back and hip are bothering me enough to really put a dent in leg day. I love squatting and I absolutely love deadlifting, but the prospects of being in pain 24 hours a day I am not enthused about.

I have a doctor's appt 9/3 to have my back looked at again and most likely get some more physical therapy, or maybe even some chiropractic work this time.

Once I am all fixed up I am going to go back to Westside (and get some squat briefs) because it is a lot of fun and hopefully when I get back up to 100% I can make some good gains in strength again.

I would like to keep this journal hanging around if that is ok? I'll just come back to it when I get back on Westside and get internet access at my home. If that's not possible, please feel free to lock it and I can open another one in the future.

LATER,

NateDogg