The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by MonStar
    DAMN!!

Crazy CG decline strength ND, keep it up man. I am friggin' impressed as hell. I couldnt be anymore impressed to be honest. Nice work!
    Thanks Mike . I was pleasantly surprised to get up that "high."
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    That's a damn impresse decline. My decline is very close to my flat bench.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

Originally posted by LATMAN
    That's a damn impresse decline. My decline is very close to my flat bench.
    Thanks Latty, it's great to have someone of your Westside knowledge and experience checkin' out my lowly journal

I really could not believe it when the weight just kept going up and I was still getting it up. I didn't even struggle at all until 250. Next time I can hopefully get to my max before hitting 11 freakin's sets though

A Westside Odyssey...Day 3

General Comments
    Just chillin' out watching the Pats game. I really hope they win, or else all the football for the rest of the day (the Jets game in particular) will be much less interesting. It's not lookin' good so far, but it's not over yet I guess. Nicole and I went and saw Two Towers last night. I really liked it. Not as much as the first one though.

Training

DE squat/deadlift

Box Squats (perfectly parallel)
    1 / 95 / 10
    2 / 95 / 12
    3 / 115 / 10
    4 / 115 / 10
    5 / 135 / 2
    6 / 135 / 2
    7 / 135 / 2
    8 / 135 / 2 (missed the second rep the first try here)
    9 / 115 / 2
    10 / 115 / 2

This is the first time I had ever done these. Stupid me was doing sets of 10-12 until I looked closer at my logbook and realized I was supposed to be doing doubles. No wonder my speed was really lacking on the last few reps of the high rep sets. My speed was much better when I just did 2 reps. I find it hard to release my hip flexors at the bottom. It's definitely something I have to get used to, as even when I am just sitting down normally, they are usually tightened a little for posture! I used a Reebok step with 5 of the support things under it (5 on each side, 10 total) this brought me to perfectly parallel. I was quite happy that it worked out that way. Now I have an adjustable box to use as I can add, or remove supports as needed.

Pull Throughs
    1 / 40 / 12
    2 / 70 / 12
    3 / 90 / 10
    4 / 110 / 10

This is the first time I had ever done these as well. I love them! Really felt it a lot in my hams, glutes and low back. I definitely could have used more weight. I chose not to as I was just working on the movement for now. Although it's not all that complex

Swiss-ball crunches
    1 / bw / 18
    2 / +10 / 12 (weight on chest)
    3 / +10 / 8 (weight on top of head)
    4 / +10 / 6 (weight on top of head)

These really killed me. I feel I have relatively strong Abs, but these were still tough.

Neck Work

Just did a couple sets of putting pressure on alternate sides of my head, then front and back and pushing against it with my neck muscles.

Training Recap
    Another great Westside workout for me. I am really enjoying the new exercises I am being introduced to. I'm getting some pretty weird looks at the gym, lol.

Pain/Soreness
    Shoulder feels better, it's my left one that's bothering me a bit. It should be ready to go tomorrow, or the next day. I'm not sure if I am going to do DE bench day tomorrow or Tuesday. Tri's are still a little sore, and chest is a little sore as well. I think I may have just answered my own question. It looks like Tuesday for my DE bench session.

Diet
    About to go and have some chicken and a whole wheat bagel (these buggers have 10 grams of fiber and are AWESOME) Thomas' if anyone wants to check them out. Anyway, been eating well the last couple days. Except for the majority of a large Hawaiian pizza last night tuttut
    LATER,

NateDogg

I'm getting some pretty weird looks at the gym, lol.
    Just wait till you do zerchers
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Originally posted by Adam MacKinnon

Just wait till you do zerchers
    Lol, I can only imagine.

Awesome new avatar ND, and awesome workout today. I did box squats today for the first time too. Good exercise huh? Really makes me go down to the EXACT depth that I am supposed to be going down. Actually probably 4-6" less than what is parallel to be honest. Explosion off the box today for me was excellent.

Awesome new avatar ND, and awesome workout today. I did box squats today for the first time too. Good exercise huh? Really makes me go down to the EXACT depth that I am supposed to be going down. Actually probably 4-6" less than what is parallel to be honest. Explosion off the box today for me was excellent.
    Thanks Mike, the Pats won yesterday, but they're still out of it. So He-Man it is!

I love box squats!

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Wait until you have 5 boards on your chest and minis doubled on the bar for weird looks to become excessive. People have gone so far as to walk over and ask what the hell is going on. I try to explain it to them and they act like I'm an idiot. Finally I invited a guy to get under the bar and try it. Now I've seen this guy bench 275 in the past, but off 5 boards with doubled minis he was having a helluva time getting 205 to lockout. Now whenever he sees us doing "weird" stuff he's much nicer about asking what's up.

Honestly though, we lift for ourselves, it's cool to help people and the looks are amusing, but you'll be the guy looking at them funny when you weigh 80 pounds less and put up 140 pounds more.

Westside is definately a way to make new friends at the gym.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Originally posted by Saturday Fever
    Wait until you have 5 boards on your chest and minis doubled on the bar for weird looks to become excessive. People have gone so far as to walk over and ask what the hell is going on. I try to explain it to them and they act like I'm an idiot. Finally I invited a guy to get under the bar and try it. Now I've seen this guy bench 275 in the past, but off 5 boards with doubled minis he was having a helluva time getting 205 to lockout. Now whenever he sees us doing "weird" stuff he's much nicer about asking what's up.

***Yeah, hopefully I'll be pushing some decent weight soon enough and people will be inquisitive rather than ignorantly point and laugh from the other side of the gym (not that I would care, nor has it happened yet).

Honestly though, we lift for ourselves, it's cool to help people and the looks are amusing, but you'll be the guy looking at them funny when you weigh 80 pounds less and put up 140 pounds more.

***So true, I experienced it yesterday in fact. There was a guy that looked to weigh a good 20 or 30 lbs more than me (although I weigh MUCH more than I look like with clothes on) "squatting" in the rack next to where I was doing box squats. I had my 125 or whatever on there, and was doing them quickly with good form. I could see the guy lookin' over at me with this stupid look on his face. He loaded his bar up to 135, did a few decent squats, not quite to parallel, but close. He then put on 185, rolled one pant leg up (WTF? ) and did a few reps that were about 5" or so from being at parallel. He finished up with 245 (and the other pant leg up...LMAO) and did a few 1/2 squats and was STRUGGLING! Now I'm no squat king...yet, but I can do a few reps, below parallel, with 20lbs more than that or so. Oh brother

Well, I just called my gym and they close at 5:00 tonight . The stock exchange is open regular hours today, which usually means that even though tomorrow is a holiday, we are going to be staying here at work until 5:00 tonight . I was really looking forward to my first speed bench session today. I'm going to stay up and ready for it just in case we do get out early, but it looks as though it's going to be tomorrow. I really can't wait until all this holiday stuff is over so I can get into a groove with my training.

*Sounding newbish*

Westsiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide!

Is your gym open New Year's Day? Mine closes at five tonight then reopens Friday.
    Squat - 505
    Bench - 325
    Deadlift - 550
    Total - 1380@175

Originally posted by dkliewer
    Is your gym open New Year's Day? Mine closes at five tonight then reopens Friday.
    I think it's open in the morning? I know it's open at least part of the day, so I'll definitely get my speed bench session in tomorrow.

I was just told that we can leave at 3:30 today... If I bust ass home, I can get home by 3:50 or so. Then get to the gym by 4:00...maybe. After a quick warmup that leaves less than an hour for my speed bench workout. I think rather than rush it and get all pi$$ed off, I am just going to do some HIIT on my trainer at home (road bike attached to a "fluid" trainer and call it a day. I'll just have to suck it up and lift tomorrow I guess.

I just finished my HIIT session. 25 minutes, of jump roping (decided I didn't feel like gettin' on the bike). 15 seconds on 45 seconds rest. That was quite a bit tougher than I thought it was going to be. I also had to keep watch out so I didn't whack either of my cats as they were quite interested in the rope I was swinging around. I really like this form of "cardio." It really went by quickly and I enjoy going hard for a short time, then getting to rest.

LATER,

NateDogg

January 1, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 4

General Comments

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!
    Had a really quiet, but really great night last night. Nicole and I went over to one of our couple friends' houses, had a few beers and watched the ball drop with Dick Clark. I can't believe that guy's in his 80's Anyway, I wanted to make sure I kept the beer drinking to a minimum (as far as I was concerned) so I could have a nice and productive workout today...I did

Training

Speed Bench

Speed Bench Press
    1 / 45 / 25
    2 / 95 / 3
    3 / 120 / 3
    4 / 120 / 3
    5 / 135 / 3
    6 / 135 / 3
    7 / 135 / 3
    8 / 135 / 3
    9 / 150 / 3
    10 / 150 / 3

This is the first time I had ever done these. I really had trouble with these. Not speed, that was fine, although I need to have someone there to time me next time so I can know for sure. What I had trouble with was control. The bar was all over the place. This is just something I will have to work on. It really prevented me from being explosive because I was trying to keep the bar in a somewhat straight line.

JM Press
    1 / 65 / 11
    2 / 95 / 10
    3 / 95 / 7
    4 / 95 / 7

This is the first time I had ever done these as well. I really liked them. I need to go seek out a video of someone doing them correctly so I can be sure I was doing them right. I found a description PowermanDL had put up on this site somewhere, and I'm pretty sure I was doing them right, but I need video to be sure. I'll go and look for it, but if someone wants to point me in the right direction (might it be at exrx?) I'd appreciate it.

Rope Tricep Push-Downs
    1 / 40 / 10
    2 / 45 / 10
    3 / 55 / 7
    4 / 55 / 6.5f

These were really killers, especially after the JM presses.

Plate Raises
    1 / 25 / 10
    2 / 35 / 10
    3 / 35 / 10
    4 / 45 / 10

These went well. Not enough weight, but I kept each rep up there and really got the most I could out of it. It looks like I'll have to use cables or dumbbells for these in the future though.
    DB Row
    1 / 75 / 10
    2 / 75 / 9
    3 / 75 / 7L 8R

I was getting really exhausted at this point and had to cheat a little on the last reps of the last couple sets

Training Recap
    Lol, just as I expected the "out-of-shape" population of my gym probably was nearly double what it usually is. A multitude of people there had no idea what they were doing. I'm not one to correct people on stuff, so I just kept to myself. I guess more power to them and I hope they are still there in 2 months.
    All around good workout. VERY tiring. I have to get used to this higher volume stuff

Pain/Soreness
    My shoulders were fine today. I did some rotator cuff work to help warmup and that definitely made a difference. My back feels...eh...I'm going to spend a good amount of time stretching this afternoon. In addition to my sacroiliac dysfunction, I also have problems with my sciatic nerve when I don't stretch it out regularly...I'm such a mess, jk.

Diet
    Except for the beer last night I have been eating very well. *goes and eats*

LATER,

NateDogg
    Last edited by NateDogg; 01-01-2003 at 12:07 PM.

It takes a while to gain control over the bar on speed days. I'm pretty much learning how to again because i pull the bar down now to my chest to make me more explosive.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

It takes a while to gain control over the bar on speed days. I'm pretty much learning how to again because i pull the bar down now to my chest to make me more explosive.
    In other words, when you get to the top of the movement, rather that letting gravity take the bar down, you pull it towards youself? Just want to make sure I understand what you are saying. That is exactly what I was doing today.

Good session ND---speed work looks solid. Keep up the hard work man. Westside seems to be a great program if you ask me. So far I really like it.

Good session ND---speed work looks solid. Keep up the hard work man. Westside seems to be a great program if you ask me. So far I really like it.
    Thanks Mike. I'm really enjoying it so far too!

Yup, i pull the bar down as hard as i can near the lockout and push it up from ~1" above my chest. I've foudn this to be by far the best way to do my speed work.

Yup, i pull the bar down as hard as i can near the lockout and push it up from ~1" above my chest. I've foudn this to be by far the best way to do my speed work.
    Ok thanks, I'll continue to do them like that.

January 3, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 5

General Comments
    Nice night last night with Nicole. After both of us getting home in a relatively huge snow storm (we got a foot or so of snow), we went to the gym had a good workout, went food shopping , then rented "Queen of the Damned". I was disappointed in the movie, but it was still a great night.

I'm excited for football tonight, even though my Pats are not in it.

Training

ME sq/dl
    ***Note, I did not have my 1rm squat to work with, so I found it in this workout

Full Squat
    1 / 45 / 12
    2 / 135 / 5
    3 / 185 / 3
    4 / 205 / 3
    5 / 225 / 3
    6 / 245 / 1 belted
    7 / 265 / 1 belted
    8 / 275 / 1 belted
    9 / 280 / miss belted

I was pretty disappointed with this max squat, but at least I now have something to work with. I definitely have to work on my hip flexor and hamstring flexibility.

Glute/Ham Raise, on bench, feet held down
    1 / bw / 10
    2 / bw / 10
    3 / bw / 10
    4 / bw / 10

I really did not like doing the glute/ham raise on the machine at the gym. I'm also not sure it is a glute/ham raise machine. Upon further review I think it's just a hyperextension. Oh well. All I could really do was negatives, push up until my hams took over, then finish the rep with my hams and glutes. These are freakin' impossible to do!

Hanging Knee Raise
    1 / bw / 20
    2 / bw / 12
    3 / bw / 11
    4 / bw / 10

These were supposed to be leg raises, but I found I was not strong enough to get into the desired rep range with leg raises, so they became knee raises.

Med-Grip Cable Pull-Downs
    1 / 105 / 10
    2 / 135 / 10
    3 / 150 / 8

I had not done pull-downs in some time. Really felt them in my lats well.

Training Recap
    Good workout overalll. Again, I was not happy with the squats, but it is what it is and hopefully I will be able to increase it as time goes by.

Pain/Soreness
    Triceps still a little sore. Back and hams are a little sore as well (it is now the 4th of January.

Diet
    Ate well yesterday, eating well again today. i'm having a steak and a whole wheat bagel right now.

LATER,

NateDogg

Good work on squats man. 275 for a max squat is nothing to be ashamed of man, trust me. Impressive if anything. Keep up the hard work man. Looking forward to you squatting 315 in no time.