The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by MonStar
    Good work on squats man. 275 for a max squat is nothing to be ashamed of man, trust me. Impressive if anything. Keep up the hard work man. Looking forward to you squatting 315 in no time.
    Thanks Mike...me too
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    The hardest part of squatting with your posterior is truly doing it right. It's always a work in progress. As you get used to it more, you'll be happily surprised. A powerlifting squat is really just a partial ROM of a sumo dead if you think about it. So imagine what your squat will do when you get the lift down? Good work Nate.

Originally posted by Saturday Fever
    The hardest part of squatting with your posterior is truly doing it right. It's always a work in progress. As you get used to it more, you'll be happily surprised. A powerlifting squat is really just a partial ROM of a sumo dead if you think about it. So imagine what your squat will do when you get the lift down? Good work Nate.
    Good points SF, thanks for stopping by.

Well, unfortunately, I did not make it to the gym last night, as was planned, due to extenuating circumstances. $hit! I'll be there tonight and probably go tomorrow too, to try and catch up.

January 7, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 6

General Comments
    Couple of workouts to log today (1/8/03). Work has gone by so quickly the last couple days it's amazing. I am working with new people, training some, learning from others. It has really been off the wall busy lately, but in a good way. Not the same old stuff. Pretty pissed about the Giants game, although not a Giants fan, it's tough to see a team lose that way. Hell, I even stood up and yelled pass-interference at the TV when the play was going on. I was sure one of the 3 flags was for pass interference, but either none were, or the refs huddled and changed their minds after the fact. We'll probably never know. Some great football last weekend though, and I'm sure there is more to come this weekend! Anyway...on with it!!!

Training

ME bench press

Close-Grip (index right on border of smooth) Incline Press
    1 / 45 / 15
    2 / 115 / 5
    3 / 135 / 3
    4 / 155 / 3
    5 / 170 / 1
    6 / 175 / 1

Not too shabby I guess. I attribute the rather large discrepancies between my incline, decline and flat bench to my abnormally long arms Just something I have to battle!

JM Press
    1 / 95 / 10
    2 / 115 / 8
    3 / 120 / 6
    4 / 125 / 3

Starting to be able to use a little more weight on these. My lower left arm, not wrist, was bothering me a bit though, not sure what that was all about.

Cable Push-Downs
    1 / 70 / 10
    2 / 75 / 5.5f
    3 / 65 / 7.5f

Ouch...very short rest periods here.

Lat Raise
    1 / 20 / 10
    2 / 25 / 10
    3 / 30 / 7 (cheated on 1 of these)

Excellent sets.

DB Row
    1 / 75 / 10
    2 / 80 / 8
    3 / 55 / 12

I was very happy with these, really felt them great in my lats, very little arm.

DB Curls
    1 / 15 / 20
    2 / 30 / 8

Ready to fall down and fall asleep by the time these were done.

Training Recap
    Another great, and exhausting workout. I've been sleeping very well lately
    Pain/Soreness
    N/A

Diet
    Going great.

LATER,

NateDogg
    Last edited by NateDogg; 01-08-2003 at 07:09 PM.

January 8, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 7

General Comments
    N/A

Training

DE squat/deadlift

Box Squats (perfectly parallel)
    1 / 95 / 2
    2 / 115 / 2
    3 / 115 / 2
    4 / 115 / 3
    5 / 115 / 2
    6 / 135 / 3
    7 / 135 / 2
    8 / 155 / 2
    9 / 155 / 2
    10 / 175 / 2

It is strange, but I am slow off the box even without weight, but I do not seem to lose any speed as weight is added. Even 175 felt the same as 95.

Straight Leg Deadlift
    1 / 115 / 12
    2 / 135 / 8
    3 / 185 / 9
    4 / 185 / 10

Crunches
    1 / 20
    2 / 12
    3 / 10
    4 / 6

Definitely less than 30 seconds rest between each set...ouch.

Donkey Raise
    1 / 180 / 10
    2 / 180 / 7

Wanted to throw in some calf work as I don't feel they get enough during the "normal" Westside stuff.

Neck Work

Just did a couple sets of putting pressure on alternate sides of my head, then front and back and pushing against it with my neck muscles.

Training Recap
    Good workout, happy with it overall. I just really need to increase my bar speed on box squats.

Pain/Soreness
    N/A

Diet

LATER,

NateDogg
    Last edited by NateDogg; 01-09-2003 at 06:31 AM.

ND: Great CG bench and box squat strength man. Really looking good---seriously. Keep up the hard work. I dont know how you feel at this point but Westside is a HELL of a lotta fun if you ask me. Easily the most enjoyable program I have ever trained with. I love changing things up, and I really enjoy partial movements for some reason. No exercise is a 'no no' with Westside. I am hoping for a 500 lbs. deadlift next Thursday. Damn thats gonna be friggin' insane if I get it.

Keep up the hard work man.

ND: Great CG bench and box squat strength man. Really looking good---seriously. Keep up the hard work. I dont know how you feel at this point but Westside is a HELL of a lotta fun if you ask me. Easily the most enjoyable program I have ever trained with. I love changing things up, and I really enjoy partial movements for some reason. No exercise is a 'no no' with Westside. I am hoping for a 500 lbs. deadlift next Thursday. Damn thats gonna be friggin' insane if I get it.

Keep up the hard work man.
    Thanks Mike. This is definitely exactly what I thought it was going to be, so far (it's been only 5 workouts though, lol). Very enjoyable.

Good luck on 500 lbs!

"Not too shabby I guess. I attribute the rather large discrepancies between my incline, decline and flat bench to my abnormally long arms Just something I have to battle!"

I know how you feel, seems like you have to push the weight forever. I enjoy reading the journal even though I am unsure what some of the exercises are. From what I see you are making nice progress.

Originally posted by bradley
    "Not too shabby I guess. I attribute the rather large discrepancies between my incline, decline and flat bench to my abnormally long arms Just something I have to battle!"

I know how you feel, seems like you have to push the weight forever. I enjoy reading the journal even though I am unsure what some of the exercises are. From what I see you are making nice progress.
    Thanks Bradley. Most of the exercises, if you're interested, can probably be found in the "Ask Dave" exercise index section of www.elitefts.com. Great site with a ton of great Westside info.

January 11, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 8

General Comments
    Almost on the third page...dammit Well, between work and Westside I am exhausted. I am really looking forward to a nap this afternoon followed by hours of football watching Work has just been so hectic, that the days go by quickly. I am lucky too, because I am sleeping very well lately, but still, if I wasn't so busy at work I would be struggling to stay awake. No worries though a nap here and there really helps.

Training

Speed Bench

Speed Bench Press
    1 / 45 / 25
    2 / 95 / 3
    3 / 115 / 3
    4 / 135 / 3
    5 / 135 / 3
    6 / 150 / 3
    7 / 150 / 3
    8 / 155 / 3
    9 / 160 / 3
    10 / 160 / 3

I had warmed up my rotator cuffs prior to starting out on these. I felt much more comfortable after that and will continue to do some relatively light rotator cuff stuff on bench days. I had someone there to time me today so that was great. All but a couple sets were kept at or below 3 seconds. I was very happy. 4 seconds was the highest, but I did get 160 in three seconds so I feel I made progress there.

DB Overhead Press
    1 / 55 / 10
    2 / 60 / 9
    3 / 70 / 6
    4 / 65 / 7

Got the weight up too high on the last couple sets and got way too close to total failure. Not what I want to do when I am doing 10-15 triceps sets per week.

Tricep Push-Downs
    1 / 60 / 10
    2 / 70 / 8
    3 / 55 / 10

That's better. Within my desired rep range of 8-10 and no failure.

DB Front Raise
    1 / 20 / 10
    2 / 25 / 10
    3 / 22.5 / 10
    4 / 22.5 / 10

25 was a little too much and I cheated on the last couple reps with it. Dropped the weight down to 22.5 and I was fine.

Lat Pull-Down Med-Grip, plams in
    1 / 120 / 10
    2 / 150 / 8
    3 / 140 / 7
    4 / 130 / 10

Great sets, really felt it in my lats well.

BB Curl
    1 / 60 / 15
    2 / 60 / 7

The compulsory biceps sets. F'n hurt though!!!!

Training Recap
    Great workout. I think it lasted about an hour and a half, which is fine. I really felt great after the rotator cuff stuff. I had been having some shoulder, not pain, but funny feelings after benching, no problems today though.

Pain/Soreness
    Man, my hams and calves are still sore from ME sq/dl day!!!

Diet
    I have been eating PERFECTLY for over a week now. I did have a beer last night, and loved it Of course one beer a week or so is not going to kill me.

LATER,

NateDogg

Non-Training Day Update

Two things I know.

1. My shoulders hurt! I hope they are recuperated by Thursday at the latest so that I can have a quality ME bench session.

2. I will undoubtedly be taking a well deserved week off after this 9 week (36 workout) cycle.

Nice speed session ND! Really like the workout, good job. Hey man how often are you going to be testing your 1RM on bench/squat/deadlift?

Nice speed session ND! Really like the workout, good job. Hey man how often are you going to be testing your 1RM on bench/squat/deadlift?
    I'm planning on attempting to max out near the end of each month. So twice, maybe three times, by the time the 9 weeks is over.

Sounds good ND.

I am doing something very very similar. I might actually do that because that sounds really good if you ask me. Testing your maxes a certain time each month. I am basically going through 4 weeks of ME lifts and on the 5th week testing my maxes. So around once a month or so.

Sounds good ND.

I am doing something very very similar. I might actually do that because that sounds really good if you ask me. Testing your maxes a certain time each month. I am basically going through 4 weeks of ME lifts and on the 5th week testing my maxes. So around once a month or so.
    Yeah, it should workout well. Get it...lol...nevermind. It just seems like a logical time to do them.

Me tired...

Me go bed...

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Don't test them until the 9 weeks is up. It will keep it suspenseful which will motivate you to work harder every time in. Plus, by the time you DO test, you're so ready for it that the excitement level aids your workout. Or so it went for me when I started Westside.

Originally posted by NateDogg

Two things I know.
    1. My shoulders hurt! I hope they are recuperated by Thursday at the latest so that I can have a quality ME bench session.
    2. I will undoubtedly be taking a well deserved week off after this 9 week (36 workout) cycle.
    Two things I know.
    1. I can now bench 400lbs.
    2. I lie about my bench press strength.

Time to eat a Detour bar!

Originally posted by galileo

Two things I know.
    1. I can now bench 400lbs.
    2. I lie about my bench press strength.

Time to eat a Detour bar!
    Lol, I have so much trouble stopping myself from eating more than one a day. I'm trying to spread them out though.

Originally posted by Saturday Fever
    Don't test them until the 9 weeks is up. It will keep it suspenseful which will motivate you to work harder every time in. Plus, by the time you DO test, you're so ready for it that the excitement level aids your workout. Or so it went for me when I started Westside.
    That is a thought, but since I have never really done any sort of routine geared towards increasing my maxes, I would be excited to find out what they are NOW! Let alone waiting a few months.

January 13, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 9

General Comments
    Ok, so we got to the gym tonight right. Almost every machine, bar, bench, rack was being used...literally. New year at the gym sucks! Anyway, we chilled for 10 minutes or so, then got to it. I want to note that Nicole got 170 for a single on sumo deads. I was very impressed. BTW, she's 5' 0" and weighs around 110.

Training

ME sq/dl

Sumo Deads
    1 / 45 / 10
    2 / 135 / 3
    3 / 185 / 3
    4 / 205 / 3
    5 / 225 / 3
    6 / 250 / 3
    7 / 275 / 3
    8 / 300 / 1
    9 / 315 / 1
    10 / 335 / 1

This I was happy with. This is the first time I had done these, and actually the first time I had deadlifted any sort of "heavy" weight for some time.

Pull-Throughs
    1 / 80 / 12
    2 / 110 / 12
    3 / 120/ 12
    4 / 160/ 12

Ouch. Felt great though.

Decline Sit-Up
    1 / bw / 20
    2 / bw+10 / 12 (weight behind neck)
    3 / bw+15 / 8 (weight behind neck)
    4 / bw / 12
    5 / bw / 10

Ouch again. My lower back was really struggling with these near the bottom.

Chest Supported Row
    1 / 45 / 10
    2 / 80 / 10
    3 / 95 / 8
    4 / 90 / 8

I really like this machine. Putting a pad near the bottom of my chest seems to help a lot too. Otherwise I get TONS of pressure and pain in my chest.

Training Recap
    Another great Westside workout. It's really amazing. I love to lift, but with this routine, I can't wait to get to the gym again, and I love trying to figure out what exercises I want to fit in the next time I go.

Pain/Soreness
    Triceps still a little sore. That's it

Diet
    Well, I'm out of Detour bars...have to go get some more. I did however make some homemade bars. Combined honey, natty PB, whey (chocolate) and oatmeal. Makes really amazing tasting, I'mnottryingtocutsoIdon'tcarehowmanycaloriesbutit'salot bars. I go the recipe through a search over at Elite. I can post it if anyone is interested.

LATER,

NateDogg

Awesome pull ND!! 335 is friggin' great. Sumos are great arent they? Gotta love 'em.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Nice pull. The first time I did sumos after starting Westside I pulled a huge PR.

And congrats to your girfriend too(if that's who that is). She is very close in strength on those to my girlfriend and my sister and they are both a little bigger than her. They also have an excellent coach.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

Awesome pull ND!! 335 is friggin' great. Sumos are great arent they? Gotta love 'em.
    Thanks Mike. Yeah, I really love the reduced range of motion on Sumo.

Originally posted by LATMAN
    Nice pull. The first time I did sumos after starting Westside I pulled a huge PR.

***Thanks Latty, I think I may have had more, but didn't want to hurt myself after the first 10 sets, lol.

And congrats to your girfriend too(if that's who that is). She is very close in strength on those to my girlfriend and my sister and they are both a little bigger than her. They also have an excellent coach.

***Yup, that's my girl. She's definitely a strong chick She'll be very happy to hear your congrats. She reads my journal periodically. I'm trying to get her to sign up and start one. We'll see.