Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2003: A Westside Odyssey

January 15, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 10

General Comments
    Well, work has slowed to the point where I am helping out with other clients! Nice though, as I can find stuff to do when I need something.

Training

ME bench press

Close-Grip (index right on border of smooth) 2 board press
    1 / 45 / 10
    2 / 95 / 7
    3 / 115 / 7
    4 / 135 / 3
    5 / 155 / 3
    6 / 175 / 3
    7 / 195 / 3
    8 / 215 / 3
    9 / 225 / 1
    10 / 240 / miss
    11 / 235 / 1 w/a little

First time doing these. I was going to just use a wrapped up towel, but I found a couple 2X4's laying around the apartment so I duct taped them together...more weird stares at the gym...lol

JM Press
    1 / 95 / 10
    2 / 105 / 6.5f
    3 / 105 / 6
    4 / 115 / 3

Lower arm still bothering me on these. I am experimenting with different hand widths to try to alleviate.

Cable Push-Downs
    1 / 70 / 10
    2 / 65 / 6
    3 / 60 / 6

Ouch...very short rest periods here.

Lat Raise
    1 / 17.5 / 10
    2 / 22.5 / 8
    3 / 20 / 10

Excellent sets.

Med-Grip, Palms-In Cable Row
    1 / 90 / 10
    2 / 120 / 10
    3 / 135 / 6
    4 / 115 / 8
    5 / 105 / 8

Great sets here as well.

BB Curls
    1 / 50 / 20
    2 / 70 / 8

These curls really finished the day off well. Had to dig pretty deep to get the last couple on the last set.

Training Recap
    I was very happy with this workout. Not happy with my board presses, missing 235. I don't think I rested enough between the miss and the for-all-intents-and-purposes miss.

Couple questions I have:

1. Do you other Westside folks worry about how much weight you are using, and whether or not it's increasing in your assistance work? I would guess not, but just wanted to ask anyway.

2. I did a 2 board press today, but I think my weakness may actually be even lower than that. Does anyone do 1 board presses???

Thanks in advance guys

Pain/Soreness
    My back is a little sore. I'm going to go stretch it out in a bit. Other than that I am feelin' fine!!

Diet
    I did not eat enough today. The chicken defrosting in the microwave, as it prepares for our Foreman, says that won't be a problem tomorrow

LATER,

NateDogg
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

January 18, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 11

General Comments
    *Digs journal out of second page*

Man there are a lot of journals that people are actually keeping up right now! Go everyone! Lol a little because the journals section at WBB is about as crowded as my gym is these days. The gym won't stay that way. Here's to hoping the journals section at WBB does

Anyway...it is freakin' cold here today. I seriously love it though. I could deal without near freezing temps. That's boring cold. I love it when it gets down near and below zero (farenheit) that gets more interesting. Unfortunately it was too cold for my Jeeps's soft top back window yesterday morning. I whacked it to get some light snow off, and I whacked right through the thing. They are very brittle in the bitter cold. I was definitely not thinking. It's getting to be about time for a new vehicle anyway though. I just paid off my Jeep this month, so I have a little more disposable income. I've got my eye on the Jeep Liberty though. Exellent vehicle, IMO, and living in New England, I would have to almost be given a non-4wd vehicle for free before I would agree to drive one.

Training

DE squat/deadlift

Box Squats (perfectly parallel)
    1 / 45 / 2
    2 / 95 / 2
    3 / 95 / 2
    4 / 105 / 3
    5 / 115 / 2
    6 / 135 / 3
    7 / 135 / 2
    8 / 150 / 2
    9 / 160 / 2
    10 / 185 / 2

I am getting better at these. Quicker off the box.

Glute?Ham Raise on a Swiss-Ball
    1 / bw / 6
    2 / bw / 2.5
    3 / bw / 6
    4 / bw / 5
    5 / bw / 5

These are freakin' impossible! The position of the ball makes a HUGE difference. I also don't think the ball was inflated enough. I feel that when I get to the point where I can do 5 sets of 10 of these with just my bw, I am going to have very hamstrings. Would anyone have any video of someone doing these?

Weighted Crunches on a Swiss-Ball
    1 / bw / 20
    2 / bw+10 / 8
    3 / bw+5 / 8
    4 / bw / 10
    5 / bw / 10

Owey.

Donkey Raise
    1 / 180 / 10
    2 / 260 / 4
    3 / 200 / 3
    4 / 140 / 4
    5 / 100 / 6

Wanted to throw in some calf work as I don't feel they get enough during the "normal" Westside stuff. Last 4 sets done as a drop-set.

Neck Work

Just did a couple sets of putting pressure on alternate sides of my head, then front and back and pushing against it with my neck muscles.

Training Recap
    Good workout. I don't think I am going to be able to walk tomorrow after those glute/hams. Holy $hit did those hurt. I'm really glad I figured out a good way to do them though. I wedged my feet under the standing platform at the back of an incline bench. It worked perfectly.

Pain/Soreness
    Shoulders hurt. I'm taking ibuprofen. This has happened a couple times since starting Westside, but the pain always goes away completely after a few days.

Diet
    Eating well...not quite enough, but well. I'm taking the little woman food shopping with me (she doesn't know it yet) today so we can stock up.

LATER,

NateDogg
    Last edited by NateDogg; 01-18-2003 at 11:11 AM.

Good job off the box ND---I am leaving in a few minutes for me DE squat/DL session. Nice work.

Originally posted by MonStar
    Good job off the box ND---I am leaving in a few minutes for me DE squat/DL session. Nice work.
    Thanks Mike, hope your session went well.

January 19, 2003

"Non-Training Day" Update

My shoulders feel much better today. I just worked them out a little bit as I did 20 minutes HIIT with a jump rope. Just got the blood flowing a bit. I should be ready to go for DE bench tomorrow. I think I'm going to try Powerman's Smith Machine bench idea. It's going to be quite a mental block to get over to allow myself to let go of the bar though.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Why do you change the weight every set for box squats? Find your work weight and do 10 or so doubles with it. After those you can do a few heavier sets if you want.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Couple questions I have:

1. Do you other Westside folks worry about how much weight you are using, and whether or not it's increasing in your assistance work? I would guess not, but just wanted to ask anyway.

2. I did a 2 board press today, but I think my weakness may actually be even lower than that. Does anyone do 1 board presses???
    1. I could care less what weight I use for my assistance work. In my journal lately there are times when I won't even mention the weight I used. I'm not worried about progressing up in weight very much either. I just want the weight to "feel heavy" but not so heavy I fail, and I want to be able to lift it in a semi-slow and controlled manner.

2. I've never seen anyone do a 1 Board, but that doesn't mean you can't. In fact, if you know your sticking point is around there, I'd encourage you to do MORE off of 1 board. And in the future we can discuss bands.

Originally posted by LATMAN
    Why do you change the weight every set for box squats? Find your work weight and do 10 or so doubles with it. After those you can do a few heavier sets if you want.
    I think I got too much into building up to a max like on ME days. Next time out I'll try what you suggest. Thanks!

Originally posted by Saturday Fever

1. I could care less what weight I use for my assistance work. In my journal lately there are times when I won't even mention the weight I used. I'm not worried about progressing up in weight very much either. I just want the weight to "feel heavy" but not so heavy I fail, and I want to be able to lift it in a semi-slow and controlled manner.

***Ok, thanks, that's what I figured. I have been trying to keep the weight low enough to be able to stay in my rep range, but heavy enough to make it tough. I was just wondering because sometimes that weight ends up being heavier or lighter than last time.

2. I've never seen anyone do a 1 Board, but that doesn't mean you can't. In fact, if you know your sticking point is around there, I'd encourage you to do MORE off of 1 board. And in the future we can discuss bands.

***I was just checking out Latty's journal and saw he was doing 1 board presses last time out. I am going to try them next time as I get stuck really low. I have already looked into ordering bands.

January 20, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 12

General Comments
    Finally get to do some updating!

Training

DE bench press

Smith Machine Explosive bench press
    1 / 70 / 3
    2 / 90 / 3
    3 / 140 / 3 too heavy
    4 / 120 / 3
    5 / 120 / 3
    6 / 120 / 3
    7 / 110 / 3
    8 / 110 / 3
    9 / 110 / 3
    10 / 110 / 3

Interesting...took this idea from Powerman's thread on finally finding a use for the Smith Machine. This is something I definitely have to work on technique and my initial explosion off my chest.

Elbows Out Extension
    1 / 20 / 10
    2 / 35 / 10
    3 / 35 / 10
    4 / 40 / 7
    5 / 30 / 10

I definitely did not like these. Really bothered my wrists. I used a pair of dumbbells held together with my palms facing away from me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong so I'm going to go check that out at elite.

Cable Push-Downs
    1 / 70 / 10
    2 / 70 / 9
    3 / 65 / 8
    4 / 65 / 8

Ouch...very short rest periods here. (again, lol)

Plate Raise
    1 / 45 / 10
    2 / 50 / 10
    3 / 50 / 10
    4 / 50 / 10

I had forgotten why I did not want to do these any longer. It's because 50 lbs (2 25's held together) is too light, and 70 (2 35's) would be too heavy right now. I'll probably switch to a barbell front raise.

Lat Pull-Down, Couple inches outside shoulder width
    1 / 105 / 10
    2 / 120 / 10
    3 / 135 / 10
    4 / 120 / 10

Great sets here as well.

BB Curls
    1 / 55 / 15
    2 / 95 / 2.5

Got together all the energy I had left and was able to finish off with 95 for a little over 2.

Training Recap
    Now that I don't remember it all that well...it went fine I guess!

Pain/Soreness
    None to speak of.

Diet
    Not eating enough still, but getting by I guess.

LATER,

NateDogg

January 22, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 13

General Comments
    I'm very tired right now so...N/A

Training

ME sq/dl

Sumo Deads
    1 / 45 / 10
    2 / 135 / 5
    3 / 185 / 3
    4 / 205 / 3
    5 / 225 / 3
    6 / 250 / 3
    7 / 275 / 3
    8 / 305 / 1
    9 / 340 / 1
    10 / 350 / miss
    11 / 350 / miss

Well I did get a new PB, but I was not happy with it. My energy was just not there today. I should have gotten 350 and did not.

Pull-Throughs
    1 / 170 / 12
    2 / 180 / 12
    3 / 120 / 10

See recap below please.

Decline Sit-Up
    1 / bw / 12
    2 / bw+5 / 12 (weight behind neck)
    3 / bw+10 / 12 (weight behind neck)
    4 / bw+10 / 12 (weight behind neck)

Ouch again. My lower back was really struggling with these near the bottom.

Chest Supported Row
    1 / 80 / 10
    2 / 100 / 8
    3 / 65 / 10
    4 / 65 / 10

I really like this machine. Putting a pad near the bottom of my chest seems to help a lot too. Otherwise I get TONS of pressure and pain in my chest. Last two sets done very slow today.

Training Recap
    Referring to the pull-throughs above: when I get up to that kind of weight I have to lean forward quite a ways to avoid the weight pulling me over backwards. Do I need to use less weight, or is that how they are done? I am going to go look for pics or video of this exercise over at elite. I was just wondering if anyone could chime in here. Thanks!

Pain/Soreness
    Low back hurts a little from the deads, no soreness or other pain to speak of.

Diet
    I ate better today, but I think the last couple days of not eating enough caught up with me in my workout.
    LATER,

NateDogg

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I have to lean forward a lot on the heavy sets too. There is no other way to do them.

When you are warmig up your deads, I wouldn't do so many sets. If I were you, I would have done this:

BAR X whatever
    135x3
    185x3
    225x1
    275x1
    305x1
    340x1
    whatever else you feel like you are good for.

Going up to a triple with 275 seems excessve o me. That would be like me doing a triple with like 385 or so and I don't go near that warming up. I usually have my last warmup at a meet be a single with 385. My warmups go bar,135,225,315,385. That's it.

Just something to think about.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Thanks Latty, I did find video of the pull through, right here on WBB in fact. That helped a lot too.

Honestly, the only reason I did 275 for a triple was that I did it last time. I questioned it this time, and in hind-sight, should not have done it. That sounds good. Next time out I am going to try deads off plates to hopefully help me off the ground.

Awesome pull ND! 340 is friggin' great man. Impressive. New PBs are great arent they? Keep up the hard work man. Westside for me tons of fun, do you think so?

Originally posted by MonStar
    Awesome pull ND! 340 is friggin' great man. Impressive. New PBs are great arent they? Keep up the hard work man. Westside for me tons of fun, do you think so?
    Thanks Mike, it'll do for today I guess. Yup...still lovin' Westside for sure.

Program is completely ace if you ask me man. Jeez. What kind of ME lifts are you going to be employing over the next few weeks? My next 5-weeks will be the following---

ME BENCH
    Suspended Bench (pressing off chest)
    4" Lockouts
    8" Lockouts
    Decline Presses
    Incline Presses

ME SQ/DL
    Rack Pulls
    Platform Deadlifts (extended ROM)
    Partial Squats
    Box Squats
    Suspended GMs

Hey Mike,

Here's what I am looking at for the near future, in no particular order...

ME sq/dl
    Rack Pulls
    Platform Deadlifts (extended ROM)
    Sumo's of course
    GM's (have to learn these)

ME bench press
    suspended bench
    1 and 2 board presses
    decline bench
    incline bench

Couple questions I have:

** I try to progress on pretty much everything... and that's how I decide when to switch stuff.

** Sure.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Originally posted by Paul Stagg
    Couple questions I have:

** I try to progress on pretty much everything... and that's how I decide when to switch stuff.

** Sure.
    Thanks Paul,

I think I am going to try to stick with the same accessory movements for a couple workouts anyway. Although, I really don't care about my progression in those as long as I am progressing in my main movement for that day.

Yeah, I am definitely going to work with 1 board next time I do board presses.

Also add in lots of upper back and lats work. If you stick close to your chest you'll want to add strength in those areas. And, as always, review your form and read about proper form. No matter how many times I read on article on how to squat or bench or deadlift, I always pull out something new. Looks good though, good pull on the deads.

Also add in lots of upper back and lats work. If you stick close to your chest you'll want to add strength in those areas. And, as always, review your form and read about proper form. No matter how many times I read on article on how to squat or bench or deadlift, I always pull out something new. Looks good though, good pull on the deads.
    I know for sure that I have to work on my lat flex when benching. Strengthen them as well. Thanks for the and the support SF.

January 24, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 14

General Comments
    Great all around day. Fairly lazy day at work with just enough work in it to keep the day moving and interesting.

Training

ME bench press

1 board pressClose-Grip (index right on border of smooth)
    1 / 45 / 18
    2 / 135 / 3
    3 / 185 / 3
    4 / 195 / 3
    5 / 205 / 3
    6 / 215 / 1
    7 / 225 / 1
    8 / 235 / 1
    9 / 240 / 1

This was my first time doing 1 board presses as well. I ended up 5 lbs over my 2 board press max from last week . I'm not complaining though. I was quite proud of myself. I am definitely learning to use my lats more in pressing. This helps to explain why I got more this time out on 1 board press, than I did last time out on 2 board press.

Elbows-out Skulls
    1 / 65 / 10
    2 / 85 / 4
    3 / 75 / 6
    4 / 75 / 6
    5 / 75 / 5f

I like these once I figured out how to place my hands so my wrists did not hit the bar on the way down.

Cable Push-Downs
    1 / 70 / 10
    2 / 75 / 7
    3 / 70 / 8
    4 / 70 / 6f

Ouch...very short rest periods here.

Lat Raise
    1 / 20 / 12
    2 / 20 / 10
    3 / 20 / 8

Excellent sets, about 30 seconds of rest between each one.

Close-Grip, Palms-In Cable Row
    1 / 120 / 10
    2 / 135 / 8
    3 / 130 / 8
    5 / 130 / 7

I really did these very slow. Concentrating greatly on my lats. These sets were as close to completely pulling with lats (as opposed to arms) that I could possibly get.

BB Curls
    1 / 90 / 5
    2 / 50 / 10

Couple good sets of curls.

Training Recap
    Very happy with this workout all around. It started off on a great note with a new "PB" and the rest was just gravy. Great tricep and lat work today.

Pain/Soreness
    My back is a little sore. I'm going to go stretch it out in a bit. Other than that I am feelin' fine!! (same pains as were here last ME bench workout)

Diet
    Eating really on track today. Oatmeal and whey, then a Detour bar a couple hours later. A large chicken teriyaki sub from D'Angelos at lunch, couple hours later a chicken breast and some truly whole wheat pasta. After work (few hours after last meal) some homemade chicken salad (chicken breast, light mayo, egg whites, and relish my smarties and a whey shake just now, and probably something like milk and chicken or natty PB before bed. That's a general good day for me.

LATER,

NateDogg

Man, if you went wide grip to reduce the ROM and allow you to use your lats more, you could push 260ish off 1 board. Awesome lifting Nate.

Man, if you went wide grip to reduce the ROM and allow you to use your lats more, you could push 260ish off 1 board. Awesome lifting Nate.
    Thanks SF. The whole time I was thinking to myself, "Ok, I am reducing the ROM by adding the board, but I am increasing it by placing my hands closer together." If it ends up being a wash, I'll have added quite a bit to my 1rm by the time I come round to testing it (still probably next time out). I have no unrealistic expectations though, as for some reason having the board there seems to make me feel more comfortable.

Thanks again

I agree with you. I do all of my lifting with a close grip. A wide grip feels really uncomfortable to me. When I get my bench shirt I'll go wide with it on. I also hope it adds lots of solid pounds to my bench at the meet. But in the gym it's always close grip to kill the triceps.