Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2003: A Westside Odyssey

What is the Bench of Death thing you did on Saturday? Is that something Saturday Fever made up? What is it for?
    Squat - 505
    Bench - 325
    Deadlift - 550
    Total - 1380@175

SF did a whole boatload of reps with 135 a while back. I knew I couldn't get much with that, so I tried it with 95. It's just a way to inflict pain really. Nah, I guess it's a good way to shock push muscles though. I did it just to see what I could do
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

On another note...I picked the absolute best week ever to take off. I have been working 10+ hour days all week, stressed out as hell at work, eating like $hit because I am trying to get that one last thing done before I go and eat and by then it's been 6 hours since I ate last....Wow, I can't wait to get back, but I don't think I would have gotten there this week anyway.

I did get my bands a couple days ago...kick ass!!!!

March 24, 2003

WEIGHT:190

A Westside Odyssey...Day 37

General Comments
    Wow...I really never planned on getting in all the war debates, but I guess I did. My feelings are just so incredibly strong, it was tearing me up inside so I had to speak my mind. I really owe a lot to all of you who have submitted intelligent debate on either side as I have learned so much. The biggest thing I have taken from this board to date is to question everything, and try to hear opinions from as many sources as possible. Anyway, on with it!

Training

ME sq/dl

Rack Pulls
    1 / 135 / 5
    2 / 225 / 3
    3 / 275 / 1
    4 / 315 / 1
    5 / 400 / 1 (belted)
    6 / 410 / 1 (belted)

Yeah baby, once 400 (and even 410) got off the rack, they shot up! It was awesome. I was feeling quite light-headed though and was afraid I was going to shoot an eyeball out of my head if I went higher so that was the last attempt for today. More on that later with a question...

Hang Cleans
    1 / 95 / 10
    2 / 115 / 9
    3 / 95 / 10
    4 / 95 / 7

First time I had done these. Just to make sure I have the right name for the right movement. A hang clean is where you hold the weight like you would a shrug or deadlift (only both hands facing towards you) and you perform a quick upright row type movement, followed by a quick flick of the wrists for lack of a better term, to get under the bar (with the bar at about shoulder level). Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Cable Row (med-grip, palms in)
    1 / 135 / 10
    2 / 135 / 10
    3 / 135 / 7.5f
    4 / 135 / 6.5f

Eh...whatever

High Pulley AB Crunch
    1 / 190 / 20
    2 / 190 / 12
    3 / 190 / 10
    4 / 190 / 10

Not bad. My low back was really fatigued from the rack pulls so I lowered number of reps so's not to strain it as I really felt it taking over as my abs tired.

Training Recap
    Great way to get back into it overall. Now my question. When holding my breath during rack pulls, squats, deads, etc, I often get not severe, but headaches, and a little eye pain from the pressure does everyone else get this? Am I possibly holding my breath wrong? TIA.

Pain/Soreness
    N/A

Diet
    Yup...well...I said I was going to do it and by golly, I'm going to do it. I set up a spreadsheet today to track my caloric intake on and macronutrient breakdowns for the forseeable future (read: probably until summer). After that (read: mid-summer, early fall) I will eat like I have never eaten before.

As you can see I have added "weight" near the top of my entry. I was actually a little dumbfounded that it was 190. I will weigh myself in the same attire (and then compensate when I change from sweatpants to shorts) same time, and always after my workout so it's won't be everyday. I'm going for change here, not a certain weight. Actually, I couldn't care less about losing weight, I just want to lose some fat. I'm not averse to muscle gain. (sp?) I'm just keeping track of the weight mostly to make sure I'm not losing more than 1 - 1.5 lbs per week.

LATER,

NateDogg
    Last edited by NateDogg; 03-24-2003 at 07:46 PM.

Nice work on the rack pulls Nate I know this doesn't answer your question but I was watching a powerlifting event the other day at lunch on ESPN and this guy was about to attempt a 920lb squat. I have to mention that he only weighed in at 260lbs. I believe. Anyway he was straining so hard that it popped a blood vessel in his nose. Although he did complete the squat. Just thought i would throw that out there Glad to see you back a the weights.

Originally posted by bradley
    Nice work on the rack pulls Nate I know this doesn't answer your question but I was watching a powerlifting event the other day at lunch on ESPN and this guy was about to attempt a 920lb squat. I have to mention that he only weighed in at 260lbs. I believe. Anyway he was straining so hard that it popped a blood vessel in his nose. Although he did complete the squat. Just thought i would throw that out there Glad to see you back a the weights.
    Oh boy, that is not helping!!!!

March 25, 2003

Weight: 195

A Westside Odyssey...Day 38

General Comments
    Back to my hometown for the weekend. Happy B-day to my Mom.

Training

DE bench press

Explosive Smith Machine Throw
    1 / 50 / 10
    2 / 100 / 3
    3 / 100 / 3
    4 / 100 / 3
    5 / 100 / 3
    6 / 100 / 3
    7 / 100 / 3
    8 / 100 / 3

Well, these were good, but it sounds like the kaybash (sp?) has been put on this movement. Apparently the gym "frowns on throwing the bar up like that." So rather than be the dick, I'm just going to find something else to do.

OH Tricep Extension
    1 / 70 / 10
    2 / 80 / 5
    3 / 80 / 5
    4 / 80 / 4

Great sets.

Cable Push-Downs
    1 / 70 / 8
    2 / 65 / 7.5f
    3 / 65 / 6.5f
    4 / 60 / 7

Good sets, failed twice by accident. I think I'll live though.

DB Front Raise
    1 / 22.5 / 12
    2 / 25 / 10
    3 / 22.5 / 10

Good sets here.

No lats, still way sore from yesterday.

BB Curl
    1 / 110 / 1.5f
    2 / 70 / 7
    3 / 30 / 12

Drop set, ouch.

Training Recap
    Good workout all around.

Pain/Soreness

Diet
    STILL going strong! That weight gain HAS to be water.

LATER,

NateDogg

March 28, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 39

General Comments
    N/A...me tired.

Training

DE squat/deadlift

Speed Deads, Sumo
    1 / 135 / 3
    2 / 205 / 3
    3 / 205 / 3
    4 / 205 / 3
    5 / 205 / 3
    6 / 205 / 3
    7 / 225 / 3
    8 / 225 / 3

These were great. I am so much more comfortable in sumo style.

Good Mornings, straight leg
    1 / 135 / 10
    2 / 135 / 10
    3 / 135 / 10
    4 / 135 / 10

Oh man, these were awesome. Really hurty.

Leg Raise
    1 / bw / 20
    2 / bw / 12
    3 / bw / 12
    4 / bw / 12

Eh, whatever.

Calves on Nautilus Leg Press
    1 / 350 / 12
    2 / 350 / 12
    3 / 350 / 12

Ouch.

Training Recap
    Good workout overall.

Pain/Soreness
    Tri's still sore, chest a little sore, but that's it!

Diet
    Still doing pretty well. I do not have that much fat on me to get rid of, so I can be a little lax once in a while and it won't hurt me too much as I am starting what I feel is early for Summer.

LATER,

NateDogg

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Great combination with deads and good mornings. I love that combination in a workout. Being tired after deads makes me focus on form a lot more for the good mornings and seems to help me push them harder.

Thanks SF, I totally agree

March 30, 2003

Weight: N/A

A Westside Odyssey...Day 40

General Comments
    Great weekend with my family. Went out last night and had a few beers with my bro, his girl and my girl. Played some poo;. I suck. Had a great time though.

Training

ME bench press

1 Board Press
    1 / 45 / 20
    2 / 135 / 3
    3 / 185 / 3
    4 / 205 / 3
    5 / 225 / 1
    6 / 250 / 1
    7 / 260 / miss
    8 / 255 / miss
    9 / 255 / miss

I was just totally exhausted after the attempt at 260. I was happy to reach my PB, but could not set a new one today.

OH DB Extension
    1 / 70 / 8
    2 / 70 / 8
    3 / 70 / 7
    4 / 70 / 6.5f

Very good sets.

Cable Push-Downs
    1 / 60 / 10
    2 / 60 / 10
    3 / 60 / 10
    4 / 60 / 9

Eh.

DB Lat Raise
    1 / 22.5 / 10
    2 / 22.5 / 10
    3 / 22.5 / 10

Good sets, no problems.

1 Arm Cable Row
    1 / 75 / 10
    2 / 75 / 8
    3 / 75 / 7
    4 / 75 / 6

Very tough sets here.

BB Curl
    1 / 80 / 8

Whatever, I was waaaay not into these.

Training Recap
    Again, happy to match a PB, pi$$ed I couldn't break it. Anyway, I did get to try out my bands (doubled-mini's) when I was done. I just wanted to get a feel for them for next time. I have the set-up down pretty good now. I also have a good feel for how they are going to affect the movement. I was real wobbly doing just the bar and doubled-mini's, but went up to 115 plus doubled-mini's and was much better. Should really help my tri / lockout strength...and they were fun as hell to use!

Pain/Soreness
    My entire posterior chain is sore.

Diet
    Quite $hitty especially later on in the weekend, back at it tomorrow though.

LATER,

NateDogg

April 2, 2003

WEIGHT:193

A Westside Odyssey...Day 41

General Comments
    Well, I just found out recently that I am flying to North Carolina for work. I'm pretty excited to be going. Other than that, not much news. The search for a fitting domicile continues. BTW, anyone know any good realtors in the Central Mass area?

Training

ME sq/dl

Squat
    1 / 45 / 12
    2 / 135 / 4
    3 / 185 / 3
    4 / 225 / 1
    5 / 275 / 1 (belted)
    6 / 300 / 1 (belted)
    7 / 315 / miss (belted)

Pretty happy with this. I finally broke 275, which was great. 300 was really slow going up and 315 was just kinda dumb to try, but I had to take a shot at it.

Pull-Throughs
    1 / 190 / 10
    2 / 190 / 10
    3 / 190 / 10
    4 / 190 / 10

Good strong sets here.

Lat Pull-down (med-grip)
    1 / 140 / 10
    2 / 140 / 10
    3 / 140 / 10
    4 / 140 / 7

Good sets here as well, very short rests.

Swiss-Ball Crunch weighted by cable
    1 / bw+30 / 20
    2 / bw+50 / 8
    3 / bw+50 / 7
    4 / bw+50 / 7

Ouch.

Training Recap
    Good workout time to go have my shake and watch West Wing.

Pain/Soreness
    Calves, hammies, chest, tri's

Diet
    Eh, I've kinda slacked on writing down my diet, it has been good, but not sure at how many cals. I may just not be fat enough to care

LATER,

NateDogg
    Last edited by NateDogg; 04-02-2003 at 07:05 PM.

Nice work on the squat Nate

Just wanted to drop in and say hi Dogg.

Thanks bradley.

Hey Cocoa, what up?

April 05, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 42

General Comments
    Went to the gym this morning, then went to meet my parents and get my suitcase for my upcoming trip. Had a great lunch (shrimp scampi made with olive oil, not butter or cream sauce ). Just chillin' out for the rest of the day. I might go and visit Nicole at the mall later (she's a clothing store manager).

Training

DE bench press

Speed Bench with Doubled Mini Bands
    1 / 45 / 12 (no bands on this one)
    2 / 95 / 3
    3 / 95 / 3
    4 / 95 / 3
    5 / 95 / 3
    6 / 95 / 3
    7 / 135 / 3
    8 / 185 / 1 (had a slight spot, although I think I would have gotten it anway).

Now, IMO, this is a great way to avoid or at least lessen the work my shoulders have to do to slow the bar down at the top of the movement. While still have a relatively low weight at the top of the movement. I've yet to venture into other Westsider's journals to check out who else uses bands on DE bench day. Anyone have any opinions? I tell ya, if nothing else, bands make Westside even that much more fun...which I though impossible!

Cable Push-Downs
    1 / 70 / 10
    2 / 80 / 8.5f
    3 / 80 / 7

Good sets here. Nicole and I were in a bit of a hurry, so you'll see lower volume than usual today.

Elbows-out Skulls
    1 / 75 / 7
    2 / 75 / 6
    3 / 75 / 6

These were awesome. I had not done them for a little while.

DB Pullovers on Swiss-Ball
    1 / 65 / 9
    2 / 60 / 8
    3 / 60 / 8
    4 / 60 / 8

65 was a wee bit heavy to work with after doing tri's, so I lowered it and did better. Not rep wise, but form wise. I was able to keep my arms more straight.

Machine Curl
    1 / 90 / 10
    2 / 90 / 7
    3 / 90 / 7

Good sets here.

Training Recap
    Anyone, the bands...anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

Pain/Soreness
    My quads feel like they are going to rip off my legs. I'm not sure why because I didn't think I was using them that much with my squat form. I guess I have to keep working on that. SIT BACK DAMMIT!!!!

Diet
    Eh...I am going to not monitor my diet closely and just try to eat less by feel. Stop before I am stuffed, things like that. I'll see how that goes. I don't eat "bad" food, I just tend to eat a lot of pretty healthy food.

LATER,

NateDogg

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    You still alive, amigo?

Yeah, I'm here. Thanks for asking. I actually lifted for the first time in 2 weeks today. I did a little moderate squatting, benching and some tri's. Sunday I am going to do some deadlifting, back and bi's. The trip to NC was extended to the point where I just got home yesterday for the first time since April 7th I think...and I'm going back there on Monday for what I believe will be at least all of next week. Needless to say, I did not lift at all while down there. I hate to make excuses, but the hours and the situation just are not conducive to lifting. I am going to do better next week. Especially with eating. Less beer, more meals, less below healthy food. I'm a little frustrated with myself for slacking off, but then I think of how I usually am and where I will be right back to when this is over and I feel better. I do plan on using the rinky-dink gym at the hotel as much as possible when I get back down there on Monday. I am having a good time though.

Lucky boy, i was just about to come and spam ur journal.

You'll get back into it bro no doubt its only been a few weeks anyway, the rest will have done you good. Although the beerstuttut

glad to have you back Nate, what you bin doing anyhow? out special?
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

Thanks B-R, I am a little fatter and WAY too used to eating a lot of expensive food for free, but I'll get used to it I guess.

Ok, I am back in good old New England, and actually scheduled to stay here for a little bit anyway. I'll be back at the gym tomorrow after playin' 18 holes in the morning. I just got a new putter the other day and have not gotten to hit it yet (other than at the store) so I'm all excited.

April 29, 2003

WEIGHT: N/A

A Westside Odyssey...Day 43

General Comments
    Ok, I'm back for real now. I actually went to the gym tonight. I was going to go last night, but a successful meeting with a mortgage broker got in the way. By successful, I mean we made progress towards buying a house and got our credit reports cleaned up at the same time. There were a few things on there that weren't mine, and now they're gone. Kick a$$. I have yet to hear any mention of me travelling back to NC, so I'm rooted in for the time being. Glad to be back, and on routine. Here goes...
    Training

ME sq/dl

Rack Pulls
    1 / 45 / 12
    2 / 135 / 5
    3 / 225 / 3
    4 / 275 / 3
    5 / 315 / 1
    6 / 410 / 1 (belted)

Oh dear, not good. My grip was definitely the biggest problem. Do you lose that first? lol. Seriously though, no worries, I'm just glad to be back for now.

Good Mornings
    1 / 135 / 10
    2 / 135 / 10
    3 / 135 / 10
    4 / 135 / 10

Good strong sets here. I still have to use the pad, or SEVERE pain in my spine area persists for weeks after doing these. I'm still tweeking where to put the bar to avoid the pad, but for now, it's a must.

Lat Pull-down (med-grip)
    1 / 135 / 10
    2 / 135 / 10
    3 / 125 / 9

My endurance is not where it needs to be for me to be happy.

Decline Bench Crunch
    1 / bw / 20
    2 / bw / 8
    3 / bw / 8

Again, just poor endurance.

Training Recap
    Once again, mostly just good to be back in the swing of things. I must partially use the excuse that my alergies were the absolute worst they have ever been today. I am exhausted simply from sneezing and my nose is bright red and very sore. Argh. I may try some drugs tomorrow, but my experience with them is that regular stuff knocks me out and non-drowsy is useless. We'll see. I'm certainly taking some tonight though.

Pain/Soreness
    Um...none.

Diet
    Not good at all over the past three weeks. Much better today though. My g/f says I haven't gained much fat at all. I feel differently though and most likely will start throwing some HIIT in there. I can't wait until Fall so I can eat everything in sight.
    LATER,

NateDogg

Good to see you back at it

Drugs are bad...so I am told

Thanks bradley. I'm actually not sneezing nearly as much today so I may just make it without the drugs.

May 1, 2003

A Westside Odyssey...Day 44

General Comments
    What a beautiful week it has been weather wise. My parents are coming out this weekend to visit. They're actually biking (pedal bikes) out here from home. It's about 70 miles I'd guess. It'll be good to see them. I'll hopefully get some golf in this weekend as well.

Training

DE bench press

Speed Bench with Doubled Mini's
    1 / 45 / 10
    2 / 95 / 3
    3 / 95 / 3
    4 / 95 / 3
    5 / 95 / 3
    6 / 95 / 3
    7 / 175 / no spot so just locked out and held it

Good sets here. I wish I had a spot so I could have tried a rep with 175 to see where I'm at, but I think I may have missed it after the layoff anyway.

OH Tricep Extension
    1 / 60 / 10
    2 / 70 / 7
    3 / 70 / 6.5f
    4 / 70 / 6

Pretty good here. My elbows hurt a little on the first couple sets, but then were ok.

Cable Push-Downs
    1 / 70 / 10
    2 / 65 / 8
    3 / 65 / 9
    4 / 60 / 6
    5 / 60 / 3

I am going to drop these for a bit, they seem to not be doing anything for me. I think I'll throw elbows out skulls in there each time in place of these for a bit. Very, very little rest between these sets, 45 seconds tops and that was only done once.

Cuban Rotations
    1 / 20 / 15
    2 / 20 / 15
    3 / 20 / 15

Good sets here.

No lats, still way sore from yesterday.

BB Curl
    1 / 80 / 10
    2 / 80 / 5
    3 / 80 / 5

Training Recap
    Another one just getting back into.

Pain/Soreness
    Lats sore, hams really sore.

Diet
    It's been really good the past couple days.

LATER,

NateDogg

May 3, 2003

WEIGHT: 194.5...Eh.

A Westside Odyssey...Day 45

General Comments
    N/A...got two to enter tonight.

Training

DE squat/deadlift

Speed Deads, Sumo
    1 / 205 / 3
    2 / 205 / 3
    3 / 205 / 3
    4 / 205 / 3
    5 / 205 / 3
    6 / 205 / 3
    7 / 205 / 3
    8 / 205 / 3

Tough as hell. I feel my speed was better even with a little more weight than last time The biggest plate I used was a 35 so I could add that inch or so to the movement.

Good Mornings, straight leg
    1 / 135 / 10

Yeah, that was enough of these for today. My posterior chain was very unhappy with me, so...

Hyperextensions
    1 / bw / 10
    2 / bw / 10
    3 / bw / 10
    4 / bw / 10

Slightly less difficult than the GM's were. These actually felt real good.

Close Grip Row
    1 / 135 / 10
    2 / 135 / 10
    3 / 135 / 9
    4 / 135 / 7f

Great sets here. Excellent squeezeses.

Swiss-Ball Crunch
    1 / 20
    2 / 10
    3 / 8

Owey.

Training Recap
    Really good/exhausting workout. Very short rest periods all around. I feel today that I truly started to get back into it.

Pain/Soreness
    Hams, tri's

Diet
    Really good the last few days. Only hiccup was a couple beers and some fried jalepeno peppers when my parents came out to visit.

LATER,

NateDogg