Thread: Modified HST... Road to 200lbs.

Modified HST... Road to 200lbs.

I had my first workout yesterday, although it was regular HST instead of my modified version. Tomorrow I start it my way. See the training forum for more info on how I'm going to be doing it.

I'm going to be eating ALOT more. I want to put on close to 20lbs in 6-8 weeks, and that's alot of milk...

I'll post measurements and pics later...

I'd also like to think Delphi for origionally creating modified HST :P
    Last edited by Meat_Head; 07-06-2003 at 09:10 PM.

Gonnabebig Member JuniorMint6669's Avatar
    Good luck! Ive been interested in seeing how a HST works, 20 lbs in 8 weeks?...

btw,

It's possible, depending on your starting weight, % body fat, previous routine, etc. More likely you'll gain 10-15 lbs of total body weight (not lean muscle mass). Good luck with it. What's your routine look like?

Man you off to a good start- 2/3 of the posts in your journal are spam!

Originally posted by Delphi
    It's possible, depending on your starting weight, % body fat, previous routine, etc. More likely you'll gain 10-15 lbs of total body weight (not lean muscle mass). Good luck with it. What's your routine look like?

Man you off to a good start- 2/3 of the posts in your journal are spam!
    Squat - 1 set
    SLDL - 1 set
    Bench press - 1 set
    Incline DB flies - 1 set
    DB supported rows - 1 set
    Pulldowns - 1 set
    DB shoulder press - 1 set
    DB shrugs - 1 set
    EZ bar curls - 1 set
    Cable Pushdowns - 1 set
    Calves - 1 set
    Wrist curls - 1 set
    Reverse wrist curls - 1 set
    Weighted decline situps - 1 set

3 days a week.

Bring on the spam

How is this modified from original HST? Is it just the exercises?

I read your post in the training section, it confused the hell out of me for some reason.

Are you following the rep schemes at all?

I would be cautious about going to failure, btw.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Originally posted by Manveet
    I read your post in the training section, it confused the hell out of me for some reason.

Are you following the rep schemes at all?

I would be cautious about going to failure, btw.
    Nope, no rep schemes, its all about increasing the weight every workout.

I won't be going to failure much of the time. I'll take it probably 2-3 reps away from failure in the high rep ranges and a rep or 2 from it in low ranges.

Basically I just pick a weight 5lbs or so higher than the last week and go at it till I'm close to failing and stop.

Ok started my first modified workout today. I didn't get to finish it all because I had to go to work, but I'll do the rest tonight...

Squats - 155x16
    SLDLs - 180x17
    Bench press - 110x15
    Incline db flies - 15x16
    DB supported rows - 40x15
    DB shrugs - 40x18

That was it. High reps are so much fun, makes you feel like you killed the muscle and gives a really big pump.

So your basically doing a sort of linear progression throughout the enitre program?

So after this first session you plan on increasing the poundage, then pumping out as many reps on a given excercise, leaving one in the tank, or hitting failure occasionally?

I'd actually be interested in the results. I've only done one cycle so far using a cookie cutter HST routine. Good luck.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

Paul Stagg

So your basically doing a sort of linear progression throughout the enitre program?

So after this first session you plan on increasing the poundage, then pumping out as many reps on a given excercise, leaving one in the tank, or hitting failure occasionally?

I'd actually be interested in the results. I've only done one cycle so far using a cookie cutter HST routine. Good luck.
    Yep, it still has basic principles of hypertrophy, and more neural stimulation since I'm taking it closer to failure, so I should grow alot and maybe gain a little stronger to.

The rest of yesterdays workout:

DB shoulder press - 25x18
    Pulldowns - 60x17
    EZ bar curls - 50x17
    Cable pushdowns - 90x19
    Calves - 170x16
    Forearm reverse curls - 25x15
    Forearm curls - 55x16
    Static holds - 225x29 seconds

Measurements and pics from 2 weeks ago

This was right before I started deconditioning...

Right arm - 15"
    Left arm - 14.25"
    Chest unflexed - 39.75"
    Chest flexed - 42"
    Waist - 34.25"
    Right thigh - 25.5"
    Left thigh - 24.75"
    Right forearm - 13.25"
    Left forearm - 12.5"
    Neck - 16.2"
    Calves - 16"
    Right wrist - 7.5"
    Left wrist - 7.25"

5'11
    181lbs
    White male
    17 years old

Beginning pics :
    http://photos.yahoo.com/locke1290
    Last edited by Meat_Head; 07-09-2003 at 11:51 PM.

Workout

Squat - 165x16
    SLDL - 195x17
    Bench press - 115x15
    Incline flies - 20x12
    DB supported rows - 45x17
    Pulldowns - 70x16
    DB shrugs - 50x17
    Curls - 55x15
    Pushdowns - 110x13
    Calves - 180x15
    Static holds - 235x20 seconds. These are going to be my only forearm exercise now

Good workout!

Gaining weight seems good. I started supplementing with creatine yesterday, so we'll see how that goes.

I still can't wait to start my next strength cycle. I'll stick with this until the weights are too much to handle though....

New workout

Shoulders, deadlifts, traps

DB shoulder press
    20x10
    30x6
    50x2.5
    40x7
    45x4

Deadlifts
    45x10
    135x8
    185x5
    225x7
    275x.5
    275x.5 Just couldn't get it. It was lack of hamstring strength, because I really felt them pulling, just couldn't get it far enough off the ground.

I'm not used to the full movement, but I think I'll progress fast. I wouldn't be suprised if I were using 300+ as a working weight in 3-5 weeks.

BB shrugs
    45x10
    135x10
    185x10
    235x3 Grip almost gave out. I really need to work on static holds more...

****in good workout! I love deadlifts!!

Good luck with the goals. Workouts have been looking good man.

Originally posted by Mik
    Good luck with the goals. Workouts have been looking good man.
    Thanks!

Chest and arms

Bench Press
    45x10
    95x8
    145x5
    185x.5 AHHH that sucks ass.... A month ago I could do this for 4 reps!!!! It'll come back up soon tho... I'll do a single with it next week..
    175x2 2nd rep was hard as hell to get

Incline BB press
    45x10
    135x6

Dips
    BWx4
    BW+30lbs x 3
    BW+10lbs x 6

Cable crossovers
    40x6
    60x1 drop to
    50x8

Skullcrushers ss with close grip bench
    70x4/8
    70x6/6

These are hard on my elbows, but I think my tendons just need to get used to them. I'll go easy for a few weeks.

DB bench press Cause I felt my presses weren't worked hard enough
    45x8

If anyone is wondering, I'm doing Belials old routine he used to gain all that weight and strength. HST was good but too boring =\
    I'm just gonna focus on slowing adding bodyweight and putting a little more weight on the bar or 1 or 2 more reps each week on all exercises. That way I can meet my strength and size goals :P and it'll help me prepare for my next pure strength cycle, whenever I choose to do it.

HST was good but too boring =\
    You gave up to early.

Richard Dawkins

Richard Dawkins

Paul Stagg

You gave up to early.
    =\ Yea, I have no doubt that the program works, its just too boring =/

Messed around with some grip exercises tonight. Got a decent grip workout. Did static holds and curls and reverse curls.

I know that B has made great progress on that routine, but I think it will lead to overtraining rather quickly for you. If you are going to train to failure I think you should reduce your volume a bit.

Originally posted by chris mason
    I know that B has made great progress on that routine, but I think it will lead to overtraining rather quickly for you. If you are going to train to failure I think you should reduce your volume a bit.
    I agree, but I haven't been taking the exercises to failure. So far I've stopped about 1 rep before failure on most of the exercises. The only exercises I plan on taking to failure are bench press, sometimes deadlifts, sometimes squats, and dumbell overhead presses.

Fair enough, let's see how it goes.

Legs

Squats
    45x12
    95x10
    135x8
    185x6
    235x5! Woohoo! Wasn't expecting to get 5 reps at all since I haven't done heavy squatting in a while...

Tried some front squats and OH squats, didn't like them at all...

Did a few sets of SLDLs, but I've decided to take them out since I'm already doing heavy deadlifts every thursday.

Leg curls - 100x10 110x6

Calf presses on leg press sled - 290x15, 380x10

That was it. Kinda a ****ty workout except for the squats. Since I didn't like front squats or OH squats, and don't need the SLDLs, I'm going to take them all out and on my leg day do a set of 20 rep death squats, working on adding 5-10lbs to the bar each week. After that I may do a few sets of leg curls if I feel I need it and a few sets of calf raises. Weighed 182...

Back/bis

Pullups
    BWx3
    BW+30x2.5 Didn't really push the last rep
    BW+10x5

DB rows
    60x10right/10left
    70x7/6
    I'll use 80lb dumbells next week. After that I'll have to start using EZ curl bars because the dumbells don't get any heavier.

BB rows These are kinda yates/narciss. style.
    45x12
    135x4.5
    115x7
    These felt alot more different than how I did them before. The weight I'm using now is tiny, but it will increase...

EZ bar curls
    80x10 Felt good, 85lbs next week.
    80x6

Towel hangs These are done draping 2 small towels over a chin bar about shoulder width, then balling up the ends and grabbing them and holding on as long as possible. After I fell I reset and grabbed the sides without balling it up and held on again. I didn't count the seconds this time, and only used bodyweight. Did 2 sets. Next week I'll add 10lbs to bodyweight and count the seconds.

GREAT workout! Loved it!

Shoulders and deadlifts...

Deadlifts

Definately going to do these first so I can focus the most energy on them.

135x6
    185x5
    225x3

275x1! The rep was pretty good, pulled through the sticking point I have, which is right after the initial 'push', where the hammies start pulling up. Tried a few reps after that, but I knew I wouldn't be able to get them off the ground. Good set!

Just for the record, the most I've been able to pull until now is 235

225x4 Did these as explosive and fast as I could, was still pretty slow because its not very light compared to my max.

DB shoulder press
    20x10
    30x6
    50x6

DB laterals

20x10
    25x5

BB shrugs
    135x10
    245x3 dropped to
    225x4

Form on these is still pretty sloppy, as in not full reps and ****ty grip. I think when I do these next time I'll drop the weight to 185-200 and bust out good solid reps and build up from there.

I'm leaving sunday for this gay ass camp that I'll be at till around next friday or saturday. That'll be my week off before I start the next 6-8 weeks of lifting.

For some reason, no matter how ****ty my form is on shrugs, my traps are still dead from this workout. I've never been sore from deadlifts, so the ****ty form shrugs must be doing something...

Weighed in at 184

chest/tris

Bench Press
    45x10
    135x6
    185x.5 Soemthin went wrong
    185x1! Got it
    155x5

Incline BB press
    45x10
    135x6 I think this didn't progress because the incline was increased slightly.

Dips
    BWx5
    BW+30x5
    BW+20x6

Cable crossovers
    60x5

Skulls SS w/ close grip bench
    80x2/8
    60x8/6

Static holds Did these a little differently today. After about 20 seconds of holding the initial weight, 20 or 50lbs were added to the barbell while I was still holding it.

235x 20 seconds + 20lbsx 5 seconds
    205x 20 seconds + 50lbs x 5 seconds