Thread: Strange Phenomenon

Hybrid View

Strange Phenomenon

I usually eat a low carb, high protein diet. Sometimes when I've been on one for a long time then go all out and eat crazy amounts of carbs and sugary stuff and various other types of garbage food, something strange will happen...

After a day or two of carb loading, I get this weird, almost painlike feeling in what feels like where my fat layer and muscle layer "meet" underneath the skin. It almost feels like how a bruise feels. Tender, kind of sore feeling. Like when I hop down steps, I can feel some flab on my belly jiggle and it feels like it's "pulling" or something, like I can actually feel where it's hanging on my body. What is up with this? Is this a common thing? What causes this to happen?

I can feel it in my stomach, the backs of my arms, my ribs, etc...

It's not excruciating or anything, but I can "feel" where my fat "connects" and moves around on my muscle layer. Strange?

I have had the same feeling. Usually the day after a cheat day when i used to have them. I know exactly what you mean when you say "bruising". The fat itself feels tender and sore to touch under the skin.

I've never been quite sure, but i imagine it is related to fat cell metabolism and spilling over.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

It's not the fat, it's the extra water that is stored in your muscles (3-4 grams of water is stored in every gram of glycogen) and creates that feeling. First, you deplete your muscle glycogen stores by exercising and consuming a low-carbohydrate diet. This enhances the re-synthesis of glycogen. The body stores as much glycogen as it can to compensate for the low carbohydrate consumption levels. The muscles and liver overcompensate, storing levels higher than normal.

Maybe it's a too-mah.
    -Stray-

"When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win." - Ed Macauley

I work out because I have two daughters.....and one day they'll be teenagers.

It's not a too-mah.

Originally posted by Wizard
    It's not the fat, it's the extra water that is stored in your muscles (3-4 grams of water is stored in every gram of glycogen) and creates that feeling. First, you deplete your muscle glycogen stores by exercising and consuming a low-carbohydrate diet. This enhances the re-synthesis of glycogen. The body stores as much glycogen as it can to compensate for the low carbohydrate consumption levels. The muscles and liver overcompensate, storing levels higher than normal.
    John, we're talking about the fat itself hurting, not the muscle underneath.

And i've had the feeling regardless of a low carb diet.

You may be right, but i'm not sure.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

omg! Now I don't feel like a freak anymore... so did anyone ever come up with a conclusion as to what causes this??