The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    calgary, canada
    Posts
    400

    the things newbie's should be thinking about before starting heavy

    it feels so good to be back into weight training, i love it

    and i also feel really good about having expierence under my belt and know what to watch out for, ex, rotator cuff, lower back.

    so before i start back in the gym im strengthening up my AC with lots of pushups; dont others feel that before newbie's start up they should first go through a conditioning routine?

    something like lots of pushups and information on the importance of stretching and the use of belts?

    just something i wish i had learned before i started a year ago
    my goals: gain weight and muscle mass

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    0
    What do you mean about use of belts?

  4. #3
    Ecoli die
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Colorado!
    Posts
    741
    LoL I was just gonna ask the same thing restless.

    Yes, newbie's should be taught the importance of many things, but they won't be and they wouldn't listen anyway so...
    Now in pain, only working out the walking sticks.

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    185
    Originally posted by restless
    What do you mean about use of belts?
    He means newbies have to learn to put the weights on their dipping belts properly so they don't fall on their toes.

  6. #5
    Banned Berserker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Eating more pork.
    Posts
    4,593
    When I came off a long hiatus due to inury and laziness I did light dumbells, 40 lbs, for 2 months and made a point not to proogress to fast. For about 10 months my deadlifts were pretty wussie too. Looking back I think maybe I would be stronger now if I didn't. But then again this is the longest bout I ever had with out any real nagging injury.
    One thing for me when you start lifting you find you can rapidly progress, but for me my joints didn't keep up with my muscles. So this time I went a little slower.

  7. #6
    Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    0
    Originally posted by gettinjackT


    He means newbies have to learn to put the weights on their dipping belts properly so they don't fall on their toes.
    Ah, then he's giving some seriously good advice.

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    calgary, canada
    Posts
    400
    oh sorry guys, i meant belts, as in lower back belt, just a weight lifting belt when doing squats or deads.

    berserker, yeah thats kindov what i mean, newbie's should just have more of a conditioning period at first, with low wieghts and high reps before rushing into huge weights and low volume.

    or at least they should be aware of properly stretching and the importance of warming up, i just wish i would have known this stuff before i started.

    but tiare also has a point that they wont listen anyway and will have to learn the hard way.
    my goals: gain weight and muscle mass

  9. #8
    Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    0
    Then I can't say I approve your advice. Weight lifting belts should be avoided for the most part, especially by newbies.Strenghtning your abs is way more important than wearing something that only gives the illusion of safety.

  10. #9
    "Tuna Boy" NateDogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Central, MA
    Posts
    3,377
    Originally posted by restless
    Then I can't say I approve your advice. Weight lifting belts should be avoided for the most part, especially by newbies.Strenghtning your abs is way more important than wearing something that only gives the illusion of safety.
    :withstupi , except on max lifts. Which newbies should not be trying until they get their form correct anyway.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

  11. #10
    Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Chico
    Posts
    3,691
    No way, 495 deads on day 1. Do it or die!

    On a sidenote that I found extremely humorous today...

    I was training a highschool football team today (an entire team on Westside?) and some guy walked by the group wearing a shirt that was black and had these huge white letters that read "LIFT BIG OR GO THE **** HOME!" He proceeded to bench 185 for about 5 reps. I didn't see him again but I sure hope he went home.

  12. #11
    Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    0
    Originally posted by NateDogg


    :withstupi , except on max lifts. Which newbies should not be trying until they get their form correct anyway.
    Exactly, that's why I didn't even mention it.

  13. #12
    Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Yeongsan. South Korea
    Posts
    5,907
    Originally posted by restless
    .Strenghtning your abs is way more important than wearing something that only gives the illusion of safety.
    So I guess you should tell all the powerlifters who compete, not to wear a belt, as it "only gives the illusion of safety". tuttut

    A belt is safer then not wearing one. Sure it may look really macho not to wear one when deadlifting 500 lbs, but you will not look so macho when you are in the hospital with a back injury. Sure strengthing your abs is important, but so is learning how to use equipment properly. I always employ a belt for heavy deads, and it has helped greatly. I'd rather err on the side of caution, than look "cool" and eventually wind up with a preventable injury. If you had read his post, rather than picking it apart, you would have seen that he was talking about things newbies should learn before going heavy. If they are going heavy, they should wear a belt. Period
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 12-29-2002 at 01:39 AM.

  14. #13
    Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    0
    Sorry man, but belts do not prevent injuries. Like Natedogg said, they do allow you to lift more on maximal attempts, but that's it.

  15. #14
    "Tuna Boy" NateDogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Central, MA
    Posts
    3,377
    Originally posted by ExtremeAnabolic


    So I guess you should tell all the powerlifters who compete, not to wear a belt, as it "only gives the illusion of safety". tuttut

    A belt is safer then not wearing one. Sure it may look really macho not to wear one when deadlifting 500 lbs, but you will not look so macho when you are in the hospital with a back injury. Sure strengthing your abs is important, but so is learning how to use equipment properly. I always employ a belt for heavy deads, and it has helped greatly. I'd rather err on the side of caution, than look "cool" and eventually wind up with a preventable injury. If you had read his post, rather than picking it apart, you would have seen that he was talking about things newbies should learn before going heavy. If they are going heavy, they should wear a belt. Period
    Yeah, the problem with what he said was that he mentioned the use of belts, without speaking to the use of good form, which is infinitely more important, for newbies and anyone else.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

  16. #15
    Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Yeongsan. South Korea
    Posts
    5,907
    Originally posted by restless
    Sorry man, but belts do not prevent injuries. Like Natedogg said, they do allow you to lift more on maximal attempts, but that's it.
    Belts do not prevent injury. On this we are agreed. They do however, reduce the CHANCE of said injury occuring. If they allow you to lift more, then surely there is less chance of being hurt wearing a belt, then of NOT wearing a belt and attempting a maximal attempt. A belt is not a cure-all. But it can play an important role in strengthing the core (if it helps you lift more, the extra weight will stress the core muscles and strengthen them).

  17. #16
    Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Yeongsan. South Korea
    Posts
    5,907
    Originally posted by NateDogg


    Yeah, the problem with what he said was that he mentioned the use of belts, without speaking to the use of good form, which is infinitely more important, for newbies and anyone else.
    Agreed. Good form should be number one, always. I had assumed that was a given for his post though. Good point.

  18. #17
    "Tuna Boy" NateDogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Central, MA
    Posts
    3,377
    Originally posted by ExtremeAnabolic


    Agreed. Good form should be number one, always. I had assumed that was a given for his post though. Good point.
    I would have too, but remember, he is specifically addressing people new to lifting.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

  19. #18
    Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    0
    Originally posted by ExtremeAnabolic


    Belts do not prevent injury. On this we are agreed. They do however, reduce the CHANCE of said injury occuring. If they allow you to lift more, then surely there is less chance of being hurt wearing a belt, then of NOT wearing a belt and attempting a maximal attempt. A belt is not a cure-all. But it can play an important role in strengthing the core (if it helps you lift more, the extra weight will stress the core muscles and strengthen them).
    I guess we partially disagree (or agree for that matter). My problem with this logic is that this being truth, then one would see a bigger injury occurence in olimpic lifters that don't use a belt, and this doesn't happen.

    I won't argue with the advantage it will give you when going for a maximal lift, but personally I would never use one in everyday training.

  20. #19
    One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    T dot
    Posts
    2,295
    As I see it a belt lets you lift more. It does not help or prevent injury. Since it lets you lift more you lift more weight and your back at square one. If you lifted with a belt your max with out a belt of course it would reduce your chance of injury cuz physically this would no longer be your max. This would bet the same as lifting lower then your max without a belt. So it is a kind of positive feedback where the belt reduces the chance of injury by increasing the weight that you can lift (via stability) but most of that prevention is negaited by the fact that you lift more then you could without a belt. I could be wrong tho... Any ideas?
    w00t

  21. #20
    Banned Berserker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Eating more pork.
    Posts
    4,593
    I've neer felt I could lift more with a belt.

  22. #21
    Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    0
    Originally posted by Berserker
    I've neer felt I could lift more with a belt.
    Me neither.

  23. #22
    Lift-a-holic ThreeD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Big 'O' town
    Posts
    384
    I was actually standing and looking at belts this past thursday! I need to get a good solid one to take care of my lower back when lifting heavy weights
    -=-* Losers make excuses - winners make it happen *-=-

  24. #23
    Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    0
    Originally posted by ThreeD
    I need to get a good solid one to take care of my lower back when lifting heavy weights
    No you don't. You just need to strenghten your back and abs and learn how to use them the proper way.

  25. #24
    Lift-a-holic ThreeD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Big 'O' town
    Posts
    384
    restless, but belts support the stability hence I feel it helps me working out. Yeah I agree with ya, I need to work my lower back to gain stability and strength, but I think at the point where I am now, using a belt will help me more. Ofcourse I could be wrong, and if I am, do tell me
    -=-* Losers make excuses - winners make it happen *-=-

  26. #25
    Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Yeongsan. South Korea
    Posts
    5,907
    Originally posted by restless


    I guess we partially disagree (or agree for that matter). My problem with this logic is that this being truth, then one would see a bigger injury occurence in olimpic lifters that don't use a belt, and this doesn't happen.

    .
    But how many olympic lifters are there who don't use a belt? Not too many.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 12-30-2002 at 08:16 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •